Saturday, June 6, 2020

Art and Books

Hi everyone.
It's the weekend. I have 2 days to wrap up my grading (Monday, Tuesday) and then I am done. Done, done done! And ready for summer and life away from hours on end of computer teaching.
 And yesterday I had nice work  surprise. The yearbook was dedicated, and they way our school does it is that the 6 teachers with most senior votes get a dedication. And I got one!!! That's a nice gift as I say goodbye to my career.  I don't know when the yearbook will be released, but iI hope they send me a copy when it does.
And my other piece of good news is that my Mom tested covid negative this week, and she is now back in her apartment. Glad to be back and sounding really happy and healthy too.

I'll start today's post with another page for Halle's challenge at Art Journal Journey. This month the challenge is a Sitch In Time.


I started with a stenciled background made with Dina Wakely's spray paints and a stencil.
I forget I had this Wend Vecchi set of sewing stamps, but was glad to find them in my stash. They work perfect for this challenge. I stamped the page with them to make my background.  I die cut the sewing machine and used 2 other stamps from that set to decorate the page. The stitching at the  top of the page is from an old set of stamps, maybe from Autumn Leaves, but whoever made them they came in perfect here. Finally I had some left over pink die cut flowers on my work table  and I added them to my page.
The colors of this page make me happy.

It's also time for my latest book post. Once again, I write this for me and for those of you who like books recommendations. May was a month with a lot of reading but it wasn't a month with lots of different books.

I finished only 2 audio books this month. 
First I listened to book 5 in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I remembered as I listened that this was one of my least favorite of the 13 books in this series. Still a good story, but I like the ones with the vampires more than the ones with the shifters. This story focused more so on the shifter community, and I wonder if it was the author's rebuttal from the earlier book 3 where there was a nasty vampire rape scene. But it was still good to continue the series.


 And I also listened to this excellent mystery set in Galway, Ireland. Not only was it a really good story but the narrator was Irish so that really gave the story a lot of  atmosphere. This was not a cozy mystery,but was a bit more hard-boiled police procedural. It had some dark overtones in it, and was even a bit gritty in places.


I also listened to a 4 1/2 hour lecture on Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband. I belong to Audible and each month you get some freebies to listen to. Some months you are limited to 2 items from their selection, but since the virus appeared and people are home they have allowed to to take as many from their monthly free selections as you'd like.   This was one of those freebies, and I did enjoy it. I've read a few books and watched several shows about Victoria, so some of this wasn't new, but the perspective of Prince Albert did teach me some new thing and was an interesting view since so often he is just the accompaniment to the Queen. I also liked the  lecture format and think I'll listen to some more in the future.

And I read 3 books this month.
First of all, I finished this mystery I mentioned last month.

I'd also give this book high marks. It's the first in this detective series set in the Shetland Islands.  Not quite as gritty as the other one I listened to this month, but certainly not a cozy either.

 And I picked up this book off of Amazon as it is old and out of print. I was motivated to buy it because I own Bernard Clayton Jr's Complete Book of Breads which is an amazing baking book. And I noticed in the front of the book that he also wrote this book, which contains recipes and also travel stories of the author's travels in France in the 1970's. This book was published during that time period.  This book is as good as  his Complete Book of Breads. Now I just need to try some French breads.

And lastly I have wanted to get engrossed in a long interesting story for awhile now, and this is what my last book of the month was.


Exodus was published in 1958 and was the number one book of 1959 in the US. It is the fascinating story of the founding of Israel.  How did I come across this book?
Last fall the hubby and I watched Madmen, and in one season there was a show where this book was mentioned many times. And that reminded me of my mother's bookshelf as this book was on it. I learned a lot from reading this story and besides that, also gave me a little view of what my mother had enjoyed when she was a younger reading women. It was also a good book. Not the fastest read I have ever picked up, but that's ok because sometimes, when you get into a book, you just want to keep reading about that particular story. Of course this book is historical fiction, so the overall setting is true but I don't believe (but don't actually know) how many characters from this novel are real.

I did splurge back at the end of April  and order some book from my wish list off of Amazon. I also pulled a few off of my bookshelf that have been patiently been waiting to be read.
Some of these are oldies and many are non-fiction, but I will intersperse them with some more mysteries and fiction either from my shelf or from the library.
(The top book by the way says a Good Horse Has No Color)
More about these at another time. Once I get around to reading them.




That all for me today!

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

So glad to hear about your Mom, that#s FAN*TAS*TIC!!!! And congrats on the yearbook, hat#s an honour, well done! Your journal page is lovely with the sewing theme, great colours, too. And you have chosen some good books. Charlaine Harris and Ann Cleeves are both good authors. I first read 'Exodus' when I was 14, that's 60 years back, and it is a very interesting book. Have a fun weekend! Hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Sounds like it's time to celebrate with all your news! So pleased to hear about your mum, what a relief that must be and so lovely to hear that she is in good spirits too 😀. That's such a pretty page with the beautiful colours and stamping. How wonderful to be voted for and have a dedication in the year book, such a fabulous way to finish your teaching career - you rock! Many congratulations! Take care and happy weekend Erika! Hugs, Jo x

Meggymay said...

First of all Erika I am so happy for you that your Mom is free of the virus, a wonderful extra gift for you as you begin the freedom days of not having to go out or on line teach any more. I think you will have this special day marked in your diary. You will have to take a photo to share the piece in the year book when you receive your own copy.
The journal page you created for Halle's AJJ theme looks wonderful, the sewing related stamps looked lovely.
Have a good rest of the weekend.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I will be back to read your post but I wanted to answer your comment-yes it is called eco printing-if you search my blog I have several posts about it-I did it on papers and in the past I have done it on silk shirts, cloth-very fun.(on cloth in my old blog-use search tool)
I found a good pot at the time at wal mart online a roaster-that they will ship free to your store-the perfect size-as you need that length of pot it was the same materials used as those water bath kettles. I have India Flints big green dye book-she has always been an inspiration-use what you have and can find in nature

Halle said...

Love the piece you created for A Stitch in Time! The elements are perfect! Love the splashes of color that make me think of the 40s or 50s.
That's quite a stack of book to tackle. :)

kathyinozarks said...

Oh and I forgot to mention something important-Never use anything from your kitchen for your dyeing projects-you need seperate supplies and kept away from your kitchen tools
Thank you for your book selections I will be checking them out-I am still planting iris's from the woods home-this should finish this batch up enjoy your weekend-another really humid and hot one here hugs

Jeanie said...

I hardly know where to begin but I'll start with congratulations and three cheers. That's a wonderful honor with the yearbook dedication and such good news about your mom. Well done on all accounts!

Rick has that bread book. There is a wonderful gateau -- I think it has cherries in it but I can't remember where it's from. Made the most fabulous dessert! Lots of your reads look fun. And I would have loved to have heard the Albert thing. I THINK PBS is having a doc about him on Sunday but not sure. Maybe next week. Check listings -- I think it was at 8. Have a great weekend!

CJ Kennedy said...

Great news about your mom. The yearbook dedication is a nice way to end your career. Congratulations! 🤗 Your stitch in time page reminds me of summer clothes my mother used to sew for me. Lots of good reading. /If you like the book, Exodus, you’ll like the movie starring Paul Newman. if you haven’t already read Eleni, you’ll like it. A really powerful true story of what a mother is willing to do for her children. I have taken a couple of classes at WAM with the author’s wife, Joan Gage. She has a fun blog called arollingcrone.blogspot.com. She hasn’t posted in quite some time, but lots of interesting stuff on her blog. Enjoy the weekend. Gorgeous weather coming for this week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Talk about thinking I had already left a message, but apparently it was only in my head that I did so. First, congrats on the end of school win. You not only deserved it, you now know how much the kids admired you.

That journal page is wonderful. I really enjoyed seeing how you made it and the stamps, too. It's truly a great page for Halle's theme at Art Journal Journey.

I remember when you first told us about your mom, you put on a really brave face, but I suspect you were only trying to convince yourself about how strong she is. Regardless, you never lost faith and it has all turned out great. She is TRULY one of the few lucky ones her age to make it.

I read Exodus years ago and have re-read it a couple of times since then. I agree it was a fascinating tale and drew both praise and criticism.

Cath Wilson said...

Ah, you've been reading Ann Cleeves. I must read the books - I haven't yet, but we get the series over here, Shetland. It's moody, very Scottish and very good! One of my favourite series. There's also a series about Vera and she wrote that, too. Both really strong main characters, especially Vera - an off the wall, shabbily dressed detective. You're a prolific reader. If I read three in a month I'm doing well these days, though I used to read two or three a week. It's mainly because I won't read during the day.

Another great page for Art Journal Journey, too. The stencilling looks great - almost like embroidery - so they go perfectly. I can see why they're your happy colours. I love them, too.. Zingy and 'in your face' shades, lol.
Glad to hear your mom is home and well again - yay! That really is good news! Congratulations to being honoured in the yearbook. We don't have anything like that over here, so it's an alien concept but I've read about them in novels and seen them on TV. Lovely that your students voted for you. Two more days to go...
Happy weekend!
Cath x

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Erika and thank you for approving my page-just wasn't sure about it since I used a coloring page.
On my blog page in the right hand column I have a list of excellent sites listed under inspirational sites for dyeing. I did allot of reading about the eco printing-and the Europeans are one of the best at it with clear instructions.
I had to buy the roaster online at wal mart and they delivered to my store with free shipping-at the time the store didn't carry it.

and I am so happy to read that your Mom is covid negative and got to go back home-that's awesome hugs

craftytrog said...

Fantastic news about your mum, and congrats for the dedication from the students Erika!
I love your sewing page, great colours and design.
A good selection of reading. I have the Sookie Stackhouse collection, although I've only read the first one so far. I enjoyed the TV series, which made me buy the books.
I love a good series of books!
Alison xx

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm doing a happy dance :)
So pleased to read about your Mom, fantastic news.

Well done on the year book, I'm sure you will get a copy eventually.

Your journal page looks very nice and that's a good book list.

Hope your weekend has been wonderful - have a good week ahead.

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

Congrats and YAY, thank you - I´m a tad late but this is a great start into the week for me, such good news!!!

Yesterday Hubby checked out our neighbour´s old sewing machine, funny coincidence!

Wow, that is a lot of reading indeed.

Eileen Bergen said...

I'm so glad to hear that your mom is well and back in her own apartment, Erika. What a relief for you all. It's lovely that the seniors chose you for a dedication in the yearbook.

Your page is perfect for Halle's theme. I love the hot summery colors. The sewing stamps and die cut sewing machine are very cool.

Eileen xx

Stevenson Q said...

Erika it's fantastic news about your Mom! I pray that she be well and continue to recover and regain her strength again. Hugs to you Mom! That is a very beautiful news to me after these past few days turned upside down for me since my birthday due to massive identity theft attacks on our country. It stressed me so much and even led me to putting down my personal blog for the mean time.

Oh the sound of a dedicated year book is so amazing! I am a very sentimental person and that's why when I was teaching whenever my students give me their graduation photo as they leave University, it really touches me and other teachers feel a bit jealous because I always get extra love from my kids (I call them kids but they're just 1-5 years younger than me when I was teaching College Seniors HAHA).

Have an awesome week ahead dearest Erika!

Divers and Sundry said...

Congrats on your mom's test results. It's wonderful to get good news where that virus is concerned.

The nasty vampire rape scene and the main character's response to it and the author's management of all that is why I'll never read another one. Just done. I liked the books and characters to that point, but I'm not moving forward in the series.

I'll need to check out The Ruin, and I've been meaning to read some Ann Cleeves for some time now... all my good intentions *sigh* I do remember reading Exodus. Powerful book!

Sharon Fritchman said...

I am so happy that your mom tested negative for COVID!!!!! YAY!!! So happy to hear that she is feeling well. And I absolutely LOVE your gorgeous page. What a beautiful background!! The die cut sewing machine looks awesome on your page and I love the pops of pink! I also enjoyed reading your book reviews. I read Exodus when I was just out of college and totally loved it - I learned a lot about history, too. Anyway, I hope you are well, too. Hugs!

nwilliams6 said...

Fabulous mix of books, stories, journal page, and pictures. I love the details on your page - reminds me of something from The Dressmaker which I just finished reading. Now I want to read The Exodus and a Bread book. I have read most of the Sookie books - they are so fun. Love your post!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Such good news about your Mum! I love this journal page! I'll be back to take a note of some of those books.
Enjoy your new found freedom! Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

Such a lovely journal page Erika. I like those pieces from Wendy Vecchi, what a useful subject they are for many a project featuring sewing. Such a good idea to use them for the background in this way. the two green colours work so well together and bring the whole piece together cohesively.
I had no idea you taught computers. I had to move over to teaching IT at one time in my teaching career, thankfully I had a good friend in the head of IT to keep me on my toes and a step or two ahead of the children.
I hope you get a copy of the Year Book, what an honour for you and what a lovely ending to your career at that school.
Best news is, of course, to hear that your mother is fine and back in her apartment. That must have come at the right time for you with your retirement being around the corner. Thrilled for you and her.
Love the ideas of some of the books. I am into psychological thrillers (my other half does not understand that at all - maybe he is worried LOL) so `I have noted two of them and may well have to read them on my Kindle. It is so much easier for me to hold a Kindle than a book these days so it has become quite a friend for me. I do miss paper though.
Hugs, Neet xx