Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Latest Arty Projects

Hi everyone. Happy middle of the week. Already.
Yesterday I finally had a nice long chunk of art time. I was working on many projects, and  today I will  share a couple of those.

First of all, I made a tag with feathers for the latest challenge at Tag Tuesday


I inked and moped up some paint to make the background. Then I added some paper tape. The feathers came from an Art by Marlene pop out image booklet.  And finally I added some quote stickers (also by Art by Marlene) and a few little gemstones. I wanted to keep the page light are airy like feathers are.  Not sure the darker blue bottom  kept it as light as I wanted it, but I do like how it looks for a background.

My second art project for you today is the natural dyeing I tried.


I've never done this before but I was happy with my results.
 I started by having the hubby cut a dowel down into smaller pieces for me. Then I cut some large watercolor paper down into smaller pieces to fit the dowel.


I found a large pot for under $20 that is now  my dye cooking pot.  For this first trial I did not use any added mordants. Instead I took water from the outside faucet, which contains lots of iron as it is not treated by our water system.
Then I picked some blackberry leaves, a fern, grape leaves and some leaves that had fallen off my peony. I also picked up some peony petals off the ground and some wild strawberry leaves.

I wet the paper and then added leaves and wrapped those pieces around my dowels. I filled the pot with more outside tap water, covered the pot, and put it on to boil for 3 hours. After the 3 hours I let it simmer with no heat on the stove for another couple more. Then I removed the paper wrapped dowels and let them dry just a bit in the sun.

My wooden dowels dyed green. I don't know whether it was from the leaves or if it was from the green twine I had used.


  The peony petals did nothing, but the  leaves all seemed to work. There are more plants to try. Another time.
And I love the twine lines that formed. But I'm not sure why there are no leaf images there as I had plants over all the paper. But I am happy with my results. It's so much fun to play and see what happens.



That's all for me today. 
Thanks for visiting.

18 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

I like your tag very much! And that is some very interesting, clever woek with the dyeing!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, glad you had some fun art time, always good. LOVE the pretty tag you made, thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday, much appreciated. And I love the dyed pieces, wow, what wonderful effects you got. Great idea. I wonder why the dowels turned green? I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with the papers. I've been busy with appointments all morning, one ore this afternoon and then it will be art time for me, too! Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

That's pretty cool. The papers almost look like fabric. Take care and stay cool.

Jeanie said...

Biggest wow! I love the effects you got with the dyeing. That's gorgeous paper. And thanks for your instructions -- very clear. This is interesting because our water at the lake is LOADED with iron. I love how these turned out. Just adore them!

kathyinozarks said...

I am glad you had fun with this. on my blog in the right hand column are some links for eco dyeing. I made my own rust water and used that to soak all the plant materials in over night. I did do a mordant on the papers if there are yellows in the plants the mordant will help bring that out--but it is all so fun glad you tried this

Barbara said...

This is indeed fun! It takes me back to memories of eco dyeing leaves in my own kitchen. I now have tons of pretty paper to use for sending personal notes! Your dowel idea is genius. It looks easier than the scraps of wood and rocks I used. I also like the string impressions! What will you do with the papers?

Divers and Sundry said...

Great effects from the dying! The twine lines add to it, I agree.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Some of these looked like they turned out well. That technique will probably work better with fabric, since from what I've read, paper is usually dyed flat with sheets of metal holding the outside. I've only dyed fabric, so I think you would have better luck using the dowels with it. Regardless, you got some interesting results.

That is also an adorable tag. I like the quote you used, too. It's a real beauty. Glad you had play time, too.

Stevenson Q said...

That dyeing method looks very interesting and you produced beautiful works! I can imagine using those papers on letters and cards or even make it a scroll type invitation to a party. Very clever and artistic and yes, organic :)

Cath Wilson said...

Wow! Gorgeous papers, Erika. Love the leafy ones, especially but such natural shades. I wouldn't be able to cover them up, so I'm intrigued to see how you use them.
Great tag, too. So good to see you enjoying the beginning of retirement and the sunshine. It's unusually hot here today and tomorrow - then the rain and wind come back - but I'm enjoying it while it's here. Looking forward to seeing more playtime results ;-)
Cath x

R's Rue said...

Love

craftytrog said...

A wonderful tag, and I love your eco dyeing Erika! Beautiful results!
Alison xx

Trillian As said...

I love your tags. The experiments look very intresting. I just knew this technique for cotton. Paper is simmilar so it should work too. And I can see very nice results.

Meggymay said...

It looks like you have had some fun crafting. The results of the natural dyeing look fantastic. Its an awesome tag as well.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

pinky said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful tag with us Erika. I am amazed at your paper dyeing and can't wait to see how you use it!! Thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday.

Neet said...

Lovely tag and gorgeous feathers. Someone on You Tube was using feathers she had stamped and she cut into the 'fronds'(?) to give them a bit of life. I am sure I have done that myself before, it looked good.
Love your paper dying - I am surprised the peony petals did nothing, I actually said "blue" in my head as I read you had used them. I was obviously wrong. Nice results though!
Hugs, Neet xx

WendyK said...

Gorgeous tag and love your dyed papers. Thank you for joining us on Tag Tuesday.

Wilma Simmons (Empress Wu Designs) said...

Great tag and eco dyeing - I have had the timber pieces take up colour too - and yes sometimes from coloured twine.