Friday, June 10, 2022

The Adventure

Hi everyone. Happy Friday. Another weekend is upon us, already. I hope June slows down just a little bit, but it does seem like during the nice weather time passes even more quickly than it usually passes. Of course time itself doesn't change, so I think it's just that I am enjoying the beautiful weather we've been having many days lately.

Today I have another page to share for several different challenges.  Before I list the challenges, can you figure out the story behind my page?

My page is all about a sea adventure, and I'm thinking for at least some of the trip the tropics are involved since those fish have some beautiful flowers on them.  Perhaps this sailor experienced  some fish cooking rituals on a tropical island while on his journey.

I made my page by first attaching a torn piece of paper. I really like how it filled a lot of the page, leaving those 2 corners open. I then used 2 shades of blue to ink the background. After that I stamped the fish head 3 times. The flowers and eyes  of the fish are colored with markers, and I used a watercolor pencil with  a bit of a water wash to finish the rest of the head. 

Many of the images on this piece are cut out of a piece of crafting paper. The lighthouse was on a sheet of arty images, and the man who is taking this voyage in his yellow raincoat is cut from an old Jacques Cousteau book. This book was in the free pile outside the school library back in my working days. I collected quite a few books to use in art this way. When I was putting things back into my art space I thumbed through this book looking for fish, and when I saw this many in his raincoat, I knew what I wanted to do with him.

Finally I used a stencil and a Sharpie to title my page.

I want to share this page with Mia's FISH challenge at Art Journal Journey. I am also sharing it over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media as their challenge is always ANYTHING GOES. And today I have fish faces for Nicole's Friday Face Off.  And finally I am also linking my post up to Gillena's Art For Fun Friday.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead.


 

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a very fun paged, Erika, I enjoyed looking at all of the various additions, all beautifully combined! Have a great day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Love this page. Also cause I have some fond memories of being on boats, being at the stormy sea etc... To great weather, it warmed here up, too - and to a great weekend, hugs!

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks like the Gorton's Fisherman is having a fine adventure. Was this the first adventure you created in your new craft room? Too nice today to stay inside.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love that light house. Fish and flower..that's an interesting combo though.
You too have a great weekend, Erika.

Tom said...

...I hope that you will always enjoy the adventure!

Gillena Cox said...

Absolutely fantastic Erika. Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much❤love

DVArtist said...

I love the adventure art piece. Lots going on in it and I do love the colors. Thank you for joining in Friday face Off.

Mae Travels said...

I like the repeated curves and subtle colors of your collage.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Beautiful page!

Carola Bartz said...

A lovely page, Erika. Fish with flowers are something you seldom see. Does the stamp come like this, with the flowers on the fish or is that a different stamp? Great usage of the guy in the raincoat. We often had free books in our school library as well, but seldom as exciting as a Jacques Cousteau book.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

There's nothing better than a freebie. You were gifted with a lot of them that have come in handy in your art, especially this month. It's great to see how you created this page for us at Art Journal Journey using Mia's theme.

Aimeslee Winans said...

I knew it! It's The Adventures of The Gorton's Fisherman! {winkwink}
Seriously, it's a cool page.
Forgot to add from the roses post, I just read this:
"Julia Child was chosen by the chef herself at Weeks Roses, a company in California’s San Joaquin Valley. The blossoms start out butter yellow, fade to rich cream, and smell of anise." YES, I agree, that's a well-named rose. {Smile}
Have a great weekend, xoxo

kathyinozarks said...

Gorgeous page Erika Happy weekend hugs

Neet said...

Love this page and the promise of an adventure that we, the readers, can weave ourselves. I think the sailor has crossed some heavy seas to get to some of his destinations by the way he is wrapped up in his oilskins.
Judging by the map at the top he has almost navigated the world, or at least intends to before he is finished. I think he is the skipper of his ship and has many a tale to tell, sending home the occasional letter to let them know how he is going on with his journey.
What a fabulous page - so full of interesting things to look and dream about.
Hugs, Neet xx

Jeanie said...

What a lovely page. Your art always has beautiful movement.

carol l mckenna said...

Magnificent collage journal page of the sea adventure ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter, and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous mixed media page! Loving all the elements you added, the images work together so wonderfully 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Artiste and wishing you a happy week! Hugs Jo x

Meggymay said...

An fun and adventurous page Erka with lots of images to look at and enjoy.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

I really love this page Erika! You used some wonderful images.

Rain said...

Your fish adventure is lovely. I'm craving fish and chips now. ☺

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This is a grand journal page a voyage of discovery as you sort out all those elements for this super display Erika. Love the yellow jacket, a real modern day Mackintosh and hat. I'm sure all fishes would love to wear flowers in their hair. Thank you for sharing @ Creative Artiste and joining our JUNE Challenge, always a pleasure to see you there. Hugs Tracey xx