Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Welcome June

 Hi everyone.  Happy June. It is already the 6th month of 2022. And even though the official start of summer is still a couple of weeks away, it really is summer, isn't it? Well at least for us in the northern hemisphere. 

Once again I want to thank Matilde for hosting at Art Journal Journey last month. And thank you again to everyone who joined us. Birds was a great challenge, and there were so many wonderful and creative artwork pieces shared. Sadly the birds have flown away with the month though.

This month I want to welcome back the lovely and talented Mia as our host. You might know Mia from her blog Craftartista. This month her theme is 

FISH.

As a Pieces, I am all about fish. Actually I like to go fishing (catch and release of course) and during college I worked for the Maine Cooperative Fisheries. I've had a tanks for fish too. I guess you could say I'm excited about this challenge.


Here's my first journal page. It was really pretty simple to make.

I used some blue-grey paper on my background, but I tore it just below the top of the page because that reminded me of how bodies of water sit below the sky. I also inked my page a little  and then used a stencil and white gesso to make the pattern.

I drew in and colored the rocks and the bottom of the water. I also used paint pens and drew in the seaweed. The 2 big fish I cut out of an old poster I had in my classroom and that I brought home for art fodder. I also have some little foamy fish, so I created a few schools of them on my page. I hope they don't become lunch for those big fish.

Finally I used some rub on letters to create my title.

Don't forget that at Art Journal Journey we accept all kinds and styles  of journaling, but no cards, tags, ATC's or other forms of art.  Any size art journaling is accepted.

I'm looking forward to seeing your fish art this month.

Thanks for visiting my page too.


19 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, Erika. I can tell you are very excited by this new theme.Your first entry shows it too. I am in awe of those two large fish. They are scary looking. I hope the little ones are a lot faster and can get away. Thanks for this reat first entry this month at Art Journal Journey using Mia's theme.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous piece, love how you did the background, it gives such lot of depth. Have a great, new month, hugs, Valerie

WendyK said...

Lovely page Erika, those fish looks a bit mean, I don't think they like each other. Hugs Wendy

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Erika those two big fish may well be looking for food! I absolutely love this page! Thanks for the inspiration - I'll be making some fishy stamps soon! Hugs, Chrisx

Iris Flavia said...

Love the page :-) Hugs
Ha, Summer. It´s still dark, grey and cold here.

CJ Kennedy said...

Those large fish would keep me out of the water. And the temperature, too. Barely 60 degrees! Too cold for me! Bundle up today. Summer seems to be taking a break.

kathyinozarks said...

This is beautiful Erika

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely underwater creation ! Wow! very creative ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jeanie said...

This is so pretty, Erika!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love the little fishes!!!!

Meggymay said...

A fabulous page Erika, I love how the fish seems to be lurking at the bottom of the sea, I hope he/she won't frighten those small fish.
Have a good rest if the week.
Yvonne xx

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oooooh, your page is so beautiful, Erika! I love anything about the sea, so I especially LOVE your take on Mia's "fish" theme! Thank you! Sharon

craftytrog said...

A fabulous underwater fishy page Erika!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely page.
Happy June Wishes.

All the best Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well, being a fellow Pisces, you'd think I'd have snapped to the fish motif, but sadly no. So I'm grateful to you for pointing that out! I've been in alot of arthritis pain so far this month and have slept alot. But I have enough energy now to hopefully work through it. And I plan to art journal more since I'm ending a couple of design team assignments. I have to credit you for reigniting my motivation in that regard. I love your page. The seaweed is most excellently drawn and I too like to include the water's surface. Those foamies are adorable and hopefully the bigger fish won't like the taste of plastic, haha. Happy June! xoxo

Neet said...

Such a fabulous page DErika, and I love the way you thought about the sky and the body of water. That paper you used is fabulous, just perfect for this background and I do like the fronds of seaweed that rise up from the bottom of the ocean.
I hope that big fish is not aiming to eat the little ones. They are too cute to be used for lunch.
Hugs, Neet xx

Mia said...

I LOVE your page, Erika! Great drawing, my friend! Thank you so much for joining my challenge at AJJ. Kisses!!!

nwilliams6 said...

This is so fun with all those tiny fish and your fab bg, Erika. Fun, fun, fun Great idea so do the torn layer too. Hugz

Crafting With Jack said...

Hi Erika, great page and I love that shoal 0f tiny fish. x Angela