Friday, September 11, 2026

Fall Art and More Little Wildlife

    Hi everyone. Happy Friday.  This week has flown by; I think even faster than normal mainly because Monday (which was the Labor Day holiday) felt like Sunday to me, so because of that it seems like we somehow skipped a day. and today should be Thursday. 😏

   I also want to mention  just in case it hasn't been updated by Google and just in case I haven't visited your blog for a day or two, but now my reading list is stuck in Monday mode. If I haven't been by your blog, it's because my reading list hasn't been updated, and I don't know if there were newer posts.  😧

    I have lots of faces today for Nicole's   Friday Face Off  and also for Gillena's  Friday Lunch Break.  

  

  I'm going to start today's post with this journal page (that also has a face) for Sharon's Hello Autumn challenge  over at Art Journal Journey.


    I used one of my less busy Gelli print backgrounds for this page. For the leaves I used a leaf stencil and a green paint pen. The woman has an orange face because I was trying to get an image transfer on my Gelli plate. The image transfer didn't work, and the woman was covered in orange paint, but I still like her. I trimmed away the  excess and used her anyhow.

     Then I cleaned off some  pieces laying on my work table and used them on this page. The gears are chipboard I colored black. The envelope made a good tag pocket, and the tag is just a tiny piece of scrap paper that I stenciled a few more leaves onto.  To finish the page I added a couple of felt sunflowers from a package I had in my stash. I also added some bronze colored glitter glue to their centers. You can just see the sheen in this photo. Finally I finished by using a quote from an autumn Creative Expressions set that I recently found on markdown. 

   And how about a few more faces to wrap  up this post? My yard has been a very busy place. Some of these might be creepy for you, but I'm saving the creepiest for the end.  


    Above, some type of fly (I couldn't find an ID on it), and below, a bumble bee.  


   This nursery web spider did not appreciate me watering my plants. He/she crawled out from under the leaves to stay dry.


    I have too many yellow jackets around my yard. When they are in the garden, they don't bother me, but I worry where the nest is. They nest in the ground, and if you happen to step in the nest, they get angry and are aggressive attackers. But they also help eat plant pests, so I guess they aren't all bad. 


   I spotted this Eastern Red Spotted Newt in the driveway one day.


    This pickerel frog didn't enjoy me watering either. He hopped out and waited for me to leave.


   But this  little tree frog didn't seem bothered by my watering. He was just sitting on the plant in this post.


OK, here are the  views some of you may not enjoy. If you don't like spiders, click off now.



    There were several of these little huntsmen on one of the dock boards at my mother-in-law's home. I'm guessing they were babies recently hatched.



    And on another dock board was a big web with this giant Mama hanging in it. 


   She's a fishing spider, and if you haven't ever seen any, they are quite large, usually 3-4 inches (6-9 cm)  across. And this lady (yes, it is a she) was hanging out in a web filled with recently hatched babies.



   I know some spider mothers become food for the babies, but I couldn't find that answer for this particular species. However, I do believe she dies after this season, but these babies hibernate over the winter until the next season.

   That's it for me today. Wishing everyone a great start to the upcoming weekend. 
















10 comments:

Tom said...

...Erika, I feel that I'm back in entomology class! I has a couple of yellow jacket hives in the garden, an exterminator made the garden safe to be in! I wish you a wonderful weekend.

Lisca said...

I really enjoyed seeing all those insects. They are so necessary in all sorts of ways. Did you take the photos with your phone?
What a cute newt. I have never seen a red one.
The frogs are very beautiful. I'm not a great frog lover. (I wouldn't pick one up) but they are fascinating.
Lovely to see mama spicer with all her babies.
I hope Google lets you visit soon.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Erika, I totally agree—this week felt like it zoomed by with our Labor Day holiday on Monday!.Thanks so much for linking this beautiful page to my "Hello Autumn" theme at AJJ. I absolutely adore the face—even though she’s covered in orange paint, she just fits perfectly with this fall-themed page. I love your stamped sentiment, gelli print background, the embossed gears, your beautiful sunflowers- everything! Thank you! Your "other" faces are perfect, too. I especially like your close-up photos, and I think the "creepiest ones" are amazing, too! Thanks again! Have a wonderful Friday. Hugs, Sharon

Angie's Recipes said...

Brown is definitely the colour of autumn. The spider nets with babies look pretty scary...would be great for the coming Halloween :-)) Have a great weekend ahead, Erika.

Christine said...

Gorgeous fall page and stunning photos! At least photos are uploading again on the posts.

Jeanie said...

Your whole yard is like an experiment in insect biology! That's a big wow. Love the sunflowers.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

LOVE your art journal page. I also thoroughly enjoyed looking at all those beautiful bugs and critters in God's creation. Peace!

Anonymous said...

Iris Flavia: The yellow jackets I´ve never seen here before, Erika! Have a great Friday, hugs

Carola Bartz said...

I like all the little critters in your garden, Erika. It shows that you have a healthy environment. I don't have any frogs in my garden, I guess it is too dry, but this year I noticed way more lizards than before. I love to see them hanging out in the sun. There are always spiders and I'm happy that they're there. Not a lot of yellow jackets around here and thankfully not too many mosquitoes either.
My blog reading list is frozen, too, but if I want to see whether there is a new post I just go to the blog and check. Have a lovely weekend, hugs - Carola

CJ Kennedy said...

I scrolled very past through the spider photos. Wasps are plain nasty. They just attack because they are 🤬I hope you got to enjoy Thursday and Friday.