Monday, March 26, 2012

Art History

I like this lady. She is thoughtful and I love her dress- it is inspiring. She is a stamp from Cherry Pie stamps designed from a Gustav Klimt painting-though I don't really know much about that artist.
 
Do you think this is the same woman? It looks similar to her and the dress certainly matches. This is the Gustav Klimt painting called Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I. I copied this from Wikipedia and they said this painting was done in 1907 and sold from some huge amount of money. This woman died in 1925 from meningitis and her husband then had the painting but it was confiscated by the Nazi's during WWII. This painting was to stay in Austria but there was a court battle and it was then sent to its rightful owner in the USA. I don't know why the court case was settled this way. 
I also discovered that Klimt painted a second portrait of this woman.
 
Here's her second portrait that I also copied from Wikipedia. I have  never seen this one in any form before.
I do like art from the late 1800's into the the 1930's or so. I know very little about art history so I don't know what this period is called but I would love to learn about about this time and art in general. A few years back I read 2 books about Matisse, who's art I love, and it was so fascinating to find out about the man and about his art.
Here is my card using this lovely lady.  I used purple card stock for the base and on some light orange card stock I used a Couture Creature embossing folder. I trimmed it down to fit the card and I rubbed dark orange ink over the embossed image once I trimmed it down. I also die cut the loops in white and colored them with a purple Copic marker. Finally I die cut 3 small gears from the light orange scraps and then used 2 shades of brown ink to darken them. I also brushed on a bit of Viva paint pen in bronze. Finally I took these tiny alphabet letters I have had for ages and ages and stamped the word immortal on the edge of the clock. I think this woman has become immortal. These little letters are one of my most used stamps. You know, alphabet sets aren't that popular any more. There used to be TONS of them and companies like Technique Tuesday used to make some fabulous ones. I guess with digital art you don't really need the stamps the same way.
So it is Monday, but I am taking a personal day today and staying home. My hope had been to have gotten in late last night after the game...but even though that didn't happen, it is nice to be home and have some fun and relaxation. Not sure what I am going to do today...but  whatever I do, it will be something good.
So have a fabulous Monday!
Thanks for visiting.





1 comment:

Emily Leiphart said...

Erika, this is wonderful! Gustav Klimt is one of my favourite artists ever. Thanks so much for stopping by during the Paper Smooches April Release Blog Hop!