Saturday, March 16, 2019

National Park Pages

Happy Saturday everyone. Last night was one of those Friday nights that once I sat down, I never got up. I feel sleep early and slept late this morning. Guess the week had caught up with me. (Smile).

So today I have a few pages from my Florida travel journal to share with you. I don't know what I love doing  more, taking the trip or making the journal when I get home. It's all my usual messy colorful style made with bits I have at home and bits I picked up along the journey.


I have a little Passport stamp book that the US National Park Service offers where you can stamp as you visit parks. (Well I actually have 2 since one of them full, except for the Midwest Section). Here's a few of the stamps I got while in Florida.


 Then I recreated those stamps a la artist license into a page I made for my journal.


 The National Park Geek you see on my page is a patch I have on my travel bag. That's me. Just a geek. The hat I made is actually black but I outlined it in white  so it would show up better. I think I need to go back and paint it white to really be able to see it. (Probably why it is white on the patch of course.)  But that is easily done. You can see I also added eyes to the glasses/binoculars.

Onto the Everglades.



I'm not really happy with the big gator on the left hand page. It looks a little too fat and like a stuffed animal might. But she will stay as is. Since alligators come in black or white only, it was hard to color her and have the babies show up. 


This was my inspiration photo. Mama with some babies on her back. I coerced the hubby to walk back a half a mile so I could get a photo of this. We had seen her from a tram tour we took (which was at Shark Valley and really amazing).
And there were another 13 babies swimming around her and floating on the water plants and water lilies near her.
And here's a few more gators for you to see.  First some more babies from another spot along the tram ride.


And then some adults. Thee were not as big as the gators we saw in the Big Cypress swamp however.




But they weren't small either.
All these other photos were taken from the tram ride.
They told us there has only been 1 alligator attack in the Everglades since they became a park.  It was a child that fell onto a gator. I wasn't taking any chances however and followed the park rule on distance. 


And here's the tram we rose in the Shark Valley.  We got there early and took the first tram of the day as they say (who knows if it is actually true) the best ride to see wildlife since they haven't yet be spooked away from the road. You can either bike, walk or ride the tram along the park road, no cars are allowed. We saw loads of gators and also a lot of birds. 


OK, I am sure you are Evergladed out at this point.  Time for me to get moving. 
Hope the start of your weekend is going well.
Thanks for visiting.

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

So glad you got a good night's sleep, you must have been exhausted. Love all the colourful and fun pages in your journal, what a wonderful keepsake. I can't do anything just now because of my poor fingers. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love the phptos and the pages Erika! WOW! The big gator on the page turned out perfectly in my mind!
Have a good weekend my friend!
Big, big hugs, Susi

Caty said...

OOhh your pages are just Gorgeous Erika !! I love to see all the wonderful decorations you have added, thes are great, and I love your version of the National Park Geek, the eyes are great ! The stamps are fabulous, and so clever your imagination!! Love the fantastiques designs. The gators are super ! Thanks so much for sharing these photographs with us.
I wish you a very happy weekend, Big hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

Fascinating! Scary, too, and I'd join you in carefully following the park rules. It looks like there's good viewing no matter which way you decide to tour the park.

kathyinozarks said...

This was so fun-I loved your post. and I am glad you shared the passport stamp and book with us for the National Parks I was always curious about that-we don't travel or I would love to get out there and collect those stamps
great journal pages and photos
Happy Saturday

Meggymay said...

Your journal is looking amazing, it is a super way to store the items you collect on your trips away. The way you recreated your passport stamps looks fantastic as well.
They are fantastic photos of the alligators . This might be a daft question but did all those babies belong in one family group? You can tell I know nothing about this type of wildlife.
Have a good rest of the weekend.
Yvonne xx

Astrid Maclean said...

It certainly looks like it was a memorable trip and your journal reflects that beautifully. I love how you manage to ty drawn elements and things you picked up together. Love your stamp book, so clever, and I think the drawing of your alligator looks great, the photos are marvellous too, and I'm sure it's always better to stay safe....
Happy Sunday!

craftytrog said...

Wonderful pages Erika, and those baby alligators are adorable!
Happy Sunday,
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

Geek or not, you have wonderful pages and beautiful photos too. I know what you mean about the journal making -- it's fun to relive that trip. Can't say the alligators would be my faves to see but the Everglades are indeed beautiful.

Cath Wilson said...

You are so blessed to have so much access to amazing wildlife over there - wow! I'd be terrified of the gators, I think, though they're nice to look at from a distance, lol. I once taught a girl who'd grown up on the Amazon river, who said they used to hang from trees and torment them by tickling them with large flowers! It's just so hard to imagine living in such close proximity to wildlife.
Love your park passport - great idea. My brother would enjoy that so much, but only if they let him take his dog ;-) Lovely photos. Thank you for sharing.
Cath x

Cath Wilson said...

Oops! I got so carried away thinking about the wildlife that I forgot to say I love your travel journal - it's a great way to keep all the memories and reminders close together and you do a wonderful job of it.
Cath x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous pages and WOW! to those alligator photos! Nope, not had enough of thees pics!! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was blown away by the photo of the alligator and the babies on top of their mother. That was incredible. I like that you added it to your journal page, too.

This book of your FL trip is turning out great. I especially like the stamps you got and the Natl Park Geek. SO appropriate.