Monday, March 11, 2019

T Stands for the Dry Tortugas

Happy T Day everyone. Tuesday has arrived once again and it is time to share our drink related posts over at  Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog.
A couple of weeks ago my husband and I went to Florida for  few days.
I thought I would share a few photos today as part of my T Day post.


Today I am taking you for a boat journey out into the Gulf of Mexico and to an island within the chain called the Dry Tortugas. The Dry Tortugas are small coral islands discovered in the 1500's by Ponce de Leon and named for the high number of turtles found there.  Later the English came along and realizing there was no available fresh water decided to name them the Dry Tortugas.
The islands are now a US National Park, and one thing I love doing is visiting National Parks. So we splurged and booked seats on the boat and took a day trip to visit the Dry Tortugas.
There is supposed to be good snorkeling but the ocean was a little rough the day we visited. I gave it a try, but I got sick of waves washing up over my snorkel.


The person on the right is my husband. The waves didn't bother him, so I sat and had a little beach time. Unfortunately it wasn't a very sandy beach but a coral beach.


A little tough on your feet but for my biologist person, fascinating.
But afterwards we walked around and you could see some of the reef life just by looking into the water.



There's also a 19th century fort on the island that was built by the US to protect the shipping lanes in the Gulf of Mexico and up to the Mississippi River. It became a US prison during the US Civil war in the 1860's and it's most famous prisoner was Dr. Mudd, who supposedly was a co-conspirator in the plot that ended up with the President at the time, Abraham Lincoln, being assassinated.


Another thing this island is well known for is the bird life. It is along a major migration fly route and also far enough south where lots of pelagic birds can be seen.
Here's just a few. I'll do another bird post another day.

A ruddy turnstone ( Arenaria interpres), I believe.

 Noddy Terns (Anous stolidus and A. tenuirostris)

A magnificent  frigate bird (Fregata magnificens)


And brown pelicans (Pelecanus occidentalis)

But since it is T Day, I really want to share my drink with you.
The trip from Key West to the park takes 2 1/2 hours by boat. And then 2 1/2 hours back at the end of the day.


 Breakfast and lunch are included in the trip, as well as snorkel equipment. But on the way home the bar opens up since it is later in the day, and after spending some time in the hot tropical sun, my husband and I each had a refreshing cool drink on the way back.


Ah. A nice way to relax and enjoy the trip. We each had a refreshing strawberry daiquiri. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful T day. I look forward to seeing your drink related post.
 I won't be able to join you next week as I have to be out of town for a funeral. But I will be with you in spirit.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

26 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

What a cool place to visit. I love the color of the water and the colorful fish. The frigate bird almost looks like a pterodactyl. Mmm, strawberry daiquiri to end a perfect day. Happy T Day

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed all the photos-and the color of the water is beautiful! those drinks look delicious
Happy T hugs Kathy

Linda Kunsman said...

oh isn't it so wonderful to revisit such a warm and sunny place...love your photos- and that water- oh how clear and blue! The variety of sea birds is fascinating. I would have been done with that snorkeling though too and would have been quite happy to sit on the beach:):) Happy T day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun and enjoyable post, Erika. Your trip looked SO interesting, and that old fort was amazing. The birds impressed me, too.

I wanted to clarify something I said on my blog about Sunday menus. Even the "greasy spoon" restaurants have lunch, dinner, and Sunday menus. Sunday is always more expensive, whether you go early in the morning or late in the day, HOWEVER, that doesn't include fast food restaurants like Panera (or McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc.). I've noticed sports bars have the same menu all day long, too. But most sit down restaurants in Wichita will have different prices ( and quantities) for lunch, dinner, and Sunday.

I'm having trouble keeping my internet going tonight, so sorry if I am brief. Thanks for making this a very special daiquiri and boat trip T this Tuesday.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention, sorry we will miss you next Tuesday, but our hearts go out to you and your brother.

Valerie-Jael said...

That looks like a wonderful place to spend a vacation, love all the birds, especially. And how fun to be able to travel on the ship and enjoy your time on board. Never seen a coral beach before, most interesting. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

johanna said...

my biologist heart also sings when seeing these photos... i esp like the one with the noddy terns sitting on this grungy tops.
happy t-day!

chrissie said...

Fantastic photographs and such blue seas to enjoy. The beach looks fascinating with the unusual shapes. I am sure you enjoy the time looking around.

Looks like a nice cool drink on your sea journey.

All of the photographs are wonderful-thank you for sharing those with us

Have a great T Day

Love Chrissie xx

craftytrog said...

Wonderful photos Erika! I'm longing for the Summer now!
Alison xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great set of photos. It looks so warm and beautiful there. The fort looked impressive. And wonderful birds. Happy T-Day!

Mia said...

Beautiful summer photos, Erika!!!!!!!! I love seeing sea life. Kisses, my friend.

J said...

You've posted some amazing photos of the wildlife, looks really lovely and so does the cool drink, very colourful.
Happy T Day
Jan x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Looks more like Bahamas water. I have never seen the Florida water so pretty and clear like that. I need to get out more! Gorgeous pics!!!

froebelsternchen said...

OMG - such wonderful photos of your trip - I am thrilled about the coral beach, the birds ,the old fort
and of course the sun and your strawberry daiquiris.
Wonderful trip!
My thoughts are with your brother and the family next Tuesday!
So sorry as you know!

Big hugs and happy T-Day
Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

What an amazing trip! I'm glad you took the side-trip so I could see your photos. It looks like a memorable experience. Your pink drinks look like just the thing :) Happy T Tuesday

Eileen Bergen said...

Thanks for the biology lesson on pelagic birds, Erika. I didn't know the word. The day trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas sounds like fun - except for sitting on a coral beach - ouch! Yummy drinks too.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, the blue sea and beach is breathtaking! This would be a perfect day for me, I'm such a water babe and love nothing better than boat trips and snorkeling, my hubby would love it too...lol 😉. It looks like a wonderful trip and the strawberry daiquiri on the way back whilst enjoying the boat trip is perfect! Love it! My thoughts are with you for next week, take care my friend! Happy T Day! J 😊 x

Meggymay said...

Fabulous photos of your trip the sea look so blue and clear. The coral beach looked awesome, nothing like I imagined, but have to admit sand or shingle are the only beaches I have ever seen.
Your drink looks very refreshing, a perfect end to the day for you.
Sending you T day wishes Erika and thinking of you lots in the coming days.
Yvonne xx

Kate Yetter said...

What a lovely trip. The photos look like you had the perfect weather. Snorkeling is so much fun. There is nothing like it. And how cool to be on a coral beach. It does sound a bit harsh for bare feet but what a beautiful site. So glad that you shared your pictures.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooh! Love those bird photos! The sea looks a lovely colour but I would pass on the snorkeling!!! Sorry to see that you have to attend a funeral! Happy T Day! Hugs, Chrisx

Haddock said...

Wow that fort looks unique and stands out well in the sea.

Lisca said...

What a lovely trip. Just the boat trip would have been exciting. The Dry Tortugas sound like a wonderful place. Did you see any tortugas?
I loved the bird photos. I know so little about birds. I did recognise the pelican however.
Above all I think we all love to see sunny photos as in many countries the weather is still dire.
Your strawberry daiquiri sounds delish (I've never had coctails before). Cheers!
Happy (belated) T-Day,
Lisca

Carol said...

Great vacation photos!!! The beach sounds heavenly right now!!!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog
Happy T Day!
Carol

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It makes me shudder to see those drinks served in plastic cups with plastic straws. When are we going to get beyond this disposable crap?

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs, and the strawberry daiquiri's do look refreshing :)

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Now THAT would be a fabulous excursion. It looks so beautiful, such fun. Gorgeous waters and how fun to actually be IN the water when you know what the weather is like at home.

Did you know The Dry Tortugas was a Jeopardy category yesterday? Or maybe day before but this week. And the Wet Tortugas was Double Jeopardy. I didn't even know there were wet ones!