Saturday, March 23, 2019

Something Different for Me

Hi everyone. It's been a blustery and cold  in my world today.  I stayed inside much of the day and did a bit of spring cleaning. Tomorrow it is supposed to be warmer and more like spring. That will be a good thing if it actually happens. Since I got my chores done today I can enjoy the better weather tomorrow.
 I want to remind everyone about the latest challenge at Try It On Tuesday, which is Say It With Flowers. I recently needed to make a sympathy card for a friend who lost her father, and this was it. I am not a big card maker as of late, so for me, this is something different.
I began with an embossing folder which I inked ink dark blue, and then I ran the inked folder onto some light blue paper. I did a bit out outlining in black pen to bring out some details, and then I added the stamped and colored flowers, as well as a die cut banner. I attached this to some white card stock and added little bronze colored paint dots at each corner.

Recently we got a big hornets nest knocked down from under the eaves of our house. Better to do it in the cold weather than when they are all awake and buzzing around in the warm weather.
The nest ripped open in the process.


The inside was really cool.  I moved the nest out into the woods so maybe some of those hornets would make it until spring, but I don't know as the nest opened up so much. You can see one coming out of a honeycomb in the top photo and a few inside honeycombs in the bottom. I know a lot of insects go dormant in the cold weather, and if any are alive they would have made it through some really cold winter weather of the last few months. I think maybe a few will make it. 

And what else is better to do on a cold Saturday afternoon?
Today was National (US) Pup Day and I would say this is the life!
When Maddie wakes up she would say enjoy the rest of your weekend.

11 comments:

Mia said...

This is a beautiful card, Erika. I haven't tried so far to ink an embossing folder. But after your post, I think I will try it.
I love bees but definitely I don't want a honeycomb in my house. Let's hope that these lovely creatures will make it.
And how cool is your pretty dog! Enjoy your weekend you too, my friend. Kisses!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your dog has the right idea, lovely photos. Great card, and very interesting to see the inside of the hornets' nest. Glad you got it away from the house. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love your symphathy card - pretty and a cool technique with the folder! We had amazingly warm yesterday - I was even able to lie stretched out in the sun on the porch in the afternoon after a wonderful dog walk in the forrests but today it is cold and soupy again and snow is forecasted for tomorrow brrr.
So today I have to do the same as the lovely Maddie did !!! So cute!
A short visit of spring was this for us ...lol.
Gosh what a nest?! I often worry how they can hibernate all this coldness - but they do! Nature is a wonder!!!
Happy TioT , happy Sunday!
Big hugs,
Susi

Jeanie said...

Sounds like a good and productive day. I hate those nests -- Brave you, getting it away from the house.

I like the card very much. Very pretty!

Meggymay said...

It is a really lovely card Erika, the embossed background looks beautiful, its hard to make cards for these sad occasions,but you did a great job on this one.
The photos of the nest were really interesting , but the star photo today was Maddie. Now that is comfort, it looks like she may use this sofa many times to relax on.
Have a good rest of the day.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

You made a very lovely card. I'm sure your friend will really appreciate it. Interesting peek inside the hive. Hornets are ornery. I'm sure they will all survive. And I want Maddie's life. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Divers and Sundry said...

Hornets, wasps, and other such are welcome to build all they want out in the woods or in the countryside, but under the eave of a house or close to foot traffic is too close. I wish they'd learn that lesson, because it is hard to destroy their work. But needs must. Thx for those photos of the inside of the nest. Cool!

Caty said...

Wooowwww Erika !! Love love this so Gorgeous card !! It´s Amazing, the blue colours are so beautiful, love the flowers!! Great !
This hornets nest is incredible !! I hope they all awake soon.
But, I have to say that the Queen of this post is your lovely Maddie !! She is a so clever dog !! love her ♥
I wish you a very nice day, enjoy !! and I send you big hugs.
Caty

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your card is beautiful! I love the embossed design and how you applied the ink - amazing 😁. The hornets nest look really cool and Maddie looks such a cutie all asleep on the sofa too. I hope you had a lovely weekend! Hugs, J 😊 x

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A friend of mine has a giant hornet's nest which she uses as a show and tell item when she visits schools to talk to kids. It is always an object of great curiosity.

Neet said...

That certainly is the life - hope Maddie enjoyed her snooze!
Wow, that hornets nest is something else - what a good job it was to get rid of it but what wonderful structures you have managed to photograph. Am sure you will be able to use the photos for your artwork in many ways.
Lovely card you made.
Hugs, neet xx