Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Magic

Hi everyone. Thursday, May 9,  is a special day  for the hubby and me. It's the 2 year anniversary of the kidney transplant.  For those you who only recently met me, my husband had end stage kidney failure because of a rare autoimmune disease. And I was a match and donated him a kidney. That was 2 years ago today. I can't believe how fast these 2 years have flown and of course, I am really happy he is doing so well.
I still think that whole process that can they can do this type of medicine is magic.  Just to think  people  came up with the idea to put another person's to replace a damaged one and then they figured out how to do it and keep it all from being destroyed by the recipients immune system is science but really something else too. 
It certainly gives people more sunrises to view, and that today is the theme of my latest journal page, seeing sunrises are pretty magic. (And so are sunsets, which this page could also be.)
Here is my latest page for the In the Air/In the Sky challenge at Art Journal Journey.
I began by painting this bright sun, and while it was wet I added some yellow glitter to it so it would shine. I painted the foreground with black paint and then used the same black paint and a stencil to give it some texture. The trees and their shadows are hand painted, the flying geese are stamped, and I used watered down acrylics to give the sky it's pink color.  Then I added a bit of off white to show the morning light appearing and some black numbered washi tape for some contrast.  Finally I added a clock sticker and a metal clock hands as well as stamping and adding the word magic.
And the latest challenge at Moo Mania is anything goes but use just one word on it, and that is my magic word.
I have loved seeing everyone's pages over at Art Journal Journey so far this month. You ladies really rock!
Hope everyone is having a good week.
And thanks for visiting my blog.

15 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, dear Erika. I figured while I was here, I might as well see your latest entry. I simply adore your magic Art Journal Journey entry, but I was also surprised it had been two years since that operation. It seems like just a few months ago. You have given us magic all around today.

I love the glitter, the birds, and the magic. This is a beautiful entry and a wonderful addition to your theme at Art Journal Journey.

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad to hear that you are both doing well after the transplant, how lucky that you 'matched' each other. Fantastic journal page, I am always very attracted to the sun, even though it wakes me up much too early these days! Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This is impressive Erika! WOW! Not just the page but the anniversary of the kidney transplant as well! It is a wonder and a gift! I am so happy with you both! Thank you for all the inspiration for your amazing topic! I wished I had more time this month but with my brother staying here it is just not enough time for journaling.
Hope you don't mind my lack of entries!
Big hugs and happy day!
Susi

Rosie said...

A very beautiful page, Erika

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your artwork is fantastic. I didn't know about the kidneys story: how fortunate you were a match to your husband. And you're right: advances in medical treatment are amazing.

Rike said...

Your sunrise is really pretty magic! It is a gorgeous painting and the flying birds are the eyecatcher!
You donated your husband a kidney - I admire you for this! I am not sure I would be able to do so! Two years ago and all went well - so this is a great reason to enjoy every sunrise in a new light and you made a magic page with deep thoughts!
Big Hugs, Rike

Jeanie said...

This is such a beautiful and special day for you. I remember when that happened. It is like a rebirthday! I'm so glad things have gone well for you both after the transplant. You gave him such a great gift, Erika. One so beautiful. In turn, you have him back. I love it.

Divers and Sundry said...

Modern medicine is a wonder! I'm so happy for you both that this anniversary sees y'all enjoying life together. Joy! :)

Neet said...

What a wonderful story and reason for your magical sun picture. It must have been a traumatic time for the two of you but no doubt cemented your love even more than before.
A lovely picture, which tells a story - and one so close to your hearts.
Sending love to both of you
Neet x

Birgit said...

Congrats to you and your husband for this health scare being in the past. How cool that you were a match for your husband which I think is grand that you could give your kidney to him. A beautiful sunrise (set) is what one always should enjoy and this is a great journal page

froebelsternchen said...

Did I mention how much I appreciate to see this at Moo Mania & More as well!? ♥♥♥ Thank you Erika! You know how much I appreciate your support!

Had a busy day with grocery shopping and Birthday shopping with my brother and then I baked a fantastic vegan Birthday cake for him. Must take photos tomorrow when we will eat it!


Hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

Oh Erika, I think this page came from your heart today.
A very special piece of art for such a momentous day in your lives.
I remember when you were waiting to see if your kidney would be a match and the tests you had to go through before the operation could be done.
It is a happy day for you and your husband and I hope you both enjoyed it.
Yvonne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This is magical indeed Erika, I did not know about the transplant so thank you very much for sharing. What a *TRUE* match made in heaven you and Hubby are, you were both destined to be together. Sunrises are things to be enjoyed and i'm wishing you both many many more to come. Each day is as precious as the next, embrace every breath. Hugs Tracey xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! I love the richness of the yellow sky and the shadow that you created in the foreground 😀. You created such a beautiful view! I hope you had a lovely week, happy weekend! J 😊 x

Caty said...

I am so happy your husband and you are very well after the kidney transplant, yes, it is a good day, congrats ♥ !!
For sure your Art page is magical !! I love it!
I wish you a good anniversary weekend, and send you
Big hugs, Caty