Tuesday, March 17, 2020

At Home in the Garden

Hi everyone. It is Tuesday again already and time for a new challenge at Try It On Tuesday. This time our topic (just by random chance since topics are picked back when 2019 became 2020) is
Home Sweet Home/Where Would You Like to Live.
I say it is by random chance since so many people are being told to stay home with this scary Covid-19 virus.
Being home makes  it is a good time for some art!
And I would like to send a big welcome to Mia and Helen, our 2 new designers here at Try It On Tuesday. Glad you talented ladies have joined our team.
So here's my art for this new challenge.
 I had this sheet of flower garden tissue paper that I had been looking at for a bit, so I decided to use it as the background for my challenge and create a garden. The garden is home sweet home to many creatures, but I only included the bees and butterflies here.
I used a bit of white gesso and a honeycomb stencil to create a bit of a honeycomb at the top for the bees. They are stamped with an old Red Lead stamp. I then used paint and some white stickles to give their wings a bit of a glittery look.
The butterflies were made using an absolutely ancient QuickKutz die. I don't think this company even exists any longer.  But I like this die as it give the butterflies a bit of a dimensional pop. I used glue on their bodies and then some tiny colorful beads to fill that part in.
I used some foamy letter stickers for the words, and then I noticed I had lots of little black paper dots which had fallen out of a die I cut for another project. I picked up a couple before vacuum got them and then added them because I thought they did make it look better. I don't know why the dots did, except maybe give something else concrete for your eyes to look at.
And I can't figure out what that line is on the left bottom butterfly wing. Maybe a thread I picked up off my work table?
Thanks for looking, and don't forget to check all the design team designs.  There are some super ones for this challenge.


18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous piece, I still have some Quickkutz dies, too - antiques, so to say. Have a great day, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

With things all upside down, home is a comforting thought. Hopefully, we'll be seeing bees and butterflies too. And though your page is very Springlike, looks like Mother Nature is reminding us she's still in control. Hope you don't get too much snow.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a wonderful page Erika! I think you made a good move to use those black dots! Your paper makes a perfect home for those garden creatures! Chrisx

Barbara said...

Really pretty, and the probable thread looks alive to me, like a very tiny worm hitching a ride on the butterfly. Lol. The theme is perfect and a reason to focus on the beauty around us instead of the inconvenience. For me, the ultimate homebody, there’s no other place I’d always rather be!

Helen said...

GORGEOUS background Erika!!!! LOVE those butterflies!!!

Rosie said...

Wow, this is awesome

Meggymay said...

I love how you created this fantastic page Erika ans those butterflies look beautiful. It looks to have wonderful texture, the sort of page that I wish we were able to reach out to touch for ourselves.
Have a super day and stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! You created a stunning page for those butterflies, I love all the layers and the beaded butterflies looks amazing 😁. Take care and sending happy wishes your way! Hugs, Jo x

froebelsternchen said...

So beautiful dear Erika! Great!
Hugs, Susi

Cath Wilson said...

Breaking up the busyness of the paper was a genius touch, Erika. It's a fab page. Love the flutterbies, especially the beaded part. My beads never stick as uniformly as yours did, lol. I like the gesso honeycomb and the bees, too.
Wonderful work. Hope you're feeling much better now.
Cath x

Cath Wilson said...

Sorry, Erika...just realised I forgot to say Stay safe! Look after yourself during this crazy time we're living through.
Cath x

craftytrog said...

This is such a beautiful page Erika! I saw some butterflies on my walk yesterday, and bees have been visiting my garden :-)
Hugs,
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

The tissue makes for a beautiful background. This is all so very springy and nice. Makes me smile!

Divers and Sundry said...

This is beautiful, such a colorful butterfly piece. I love the depth you got with the butterflies :)

Tammy said...

Gorgeous, colorful page Erika, I love the die cut butterflies!
Tammy x

Mrs.B said...

A lovely page Erika, it looks the perfect place for those pretty butterflies to live. Love the beading on the bodies, it adds a lovely texture.
Hugs, Avril xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, this is gorgeous, Erika. I love the bees and that butterfly die is one I've never seen before. That background is amazing, too. It's a great place to be while we are on lockdown.

Our governor canceled all classes at all accredited schools (parochial, private, and public) in KS through the end of the school year. Her opponents are up in arms, but I think she did the right thing.

Words and Pictures said...

I hopped over from TIOT to check out this floral fabulousness - amazing page! I see I've got lots more treats in store too - I'll be back tomorrow for some proper catching up.
Alison x