Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Try Something New

Hi there. Today we start a new challenge at Try It On Tuesday.For the next 2 weeks we ask you to share a new technique with us. 

Here's my example. I actually tried 2 things here. First I Gelli printed these white flowers as well as some stenciled black lines on  some colored vellum. The vellum got a tad bit wrinkled so I flattened it for a few days then I attached the vellum to some watercolor paper.
My second technique was to create the butterfly.  I started bu gluing down some book paper onto some watercolor paper and then I glued down some plastic food wrap. I used some alcohol ink to color it, a light pink first and then a darker red to highlight the wrinkles. It created a nice look like the ribs found on butterfly wings.  Then I added some sequins to finish the wings.
I wrapped up the page with a bit of stamping.
Hope you like it.
And don't forget to stop by each of the designers pages as there are some beautiful art as well as lots of new techniques to inspire you.
I can't wait to see your new technique.

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely piece, always good to try new techniques. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

Ooh, I bet this looks really pretty, Erika. I must admit I don't gelli print as often as I would like because I'm never happy with my results, but I love this. The cling wrap bit is intriguing me...love how it allows you to change colours. Great page and brilliant techniques!
Cath x

Rosie said...

A perfect page

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE the butterfly wing technique. That is one I may have to remember. Thanks for this new to me technique, dear. BTW, I'm having trouble keeping my internet going. That's why I'm so late visiting.

CJ Kennedy said...

Pretty page and cool butterfly. Hopefully, won't be long before we see some butterflies outside.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a stunning page! I live the white flowers on the vellum, it looks so pretty against the red background that you created and the butterfly with the plastic wrap and sequins looks amazing too 😀. Thanks for sharing these two fabulous techniques with us today and wishing you a wonderful week my friend! Hugs, Jo x

Linda Kunsman said...

great looking layers -the plastic wrap does make fun patterns!

Meggymay said...

A stunning colour for your page Erika and super techniques. I have to say I am in love with that butterfly, it must have taken you a long time to create, the sequins look lovely.
Yvonne xx

R's Rue said...

Pretty.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Erika! The flowers looks great but for me the star is the butterfly - what a brilliant process and of course a fabulous page! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

This is super happy. I love the pink -- it's a wonderful shade.

froebelsternchen said...

What a gorgeous page! Incredible !

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Erika, the white flowers have a lovely texture, and I love the butterfly, the food wrap gives a gorgeous sheen and texture and looks lovely with the added sequins. A great technique.
Avril xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is beautiful.

Marjut said...

So beautiful page. Fantastic techniques!

Joan said...

Two fabulous techniques and a fantastic page

Joan

Mia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR ERIKA,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!

kathyinozarks said...

Very beautiful page-hugs

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous page Erika, I love the sequined wings of the butterfly! xx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, those shimmering sequin wings are a real triumph - I can almost see the wings fluttering in the light.
Alison x

Words and Pictures said...

... meant to say I love the layered print in the background too x