Saturday, March 7, 2020

Looking Forward and Looking Back

Hi everyone. This is mostly a pre-post I had written. I've been down and out with either a weird virus or a reaction to the allergy shot I had Wednesday. It started with a high racing heartbeat and now a fever and aches and pains. My allergist seems to think it have the flu, but between the fact I had the vaccine last fall,  had a negative flu test result yesterday and have no respiratory or cold like symptoms, I don't think she's right about that. Who knows, but I do think it is time to give my allergy shots a break just in case this is a reaction.  Anyhow, I wanted to mention this as I am back into catch up mode at Art Journal Journey, Try It On Tuesday and on everyone's blogs.
Here's my pre-written post.
Today is the last day before we change our clocks and spring ahead here in the US. Although it makes the mornings tough for a few days until I get used to it, the longer evenings makes the time change  so worth it!
  I am back with another Green page for you. Green the is the challenge this month at Art Journal Journey which is being hosted by Eileen.
So I thought I would introduce a new project to you. I found a green Irish paper and ephemera stash on Etsy awhile back.  Since it was winter, and there was a general lack of color in the outside world,  I was very interested in this ephemera pack. (Plus it wasn't very expensive.) Now I am not of Irish descent, but I love green, so I got this idea to make a vintage travel journal. I hope you don't find it too cliche, but I was working mostly with the ephemera and papers that I received with the kit, as well as a few items I had in my stash.
I decided that 1957 was a good year to set the journal as much of what I have is vintage style. Here's the cover. I used some paper and a piece of wallpaper strip that came with the paper ack, as well as the Ireland map piece and the large shamrock image. I added some washi tape, the green metallic trim on the left as well as the letter and number stickers, all of which came from my stash.
I'll have more to share with you another day.

And I thought today would also be a good day to do my February book post.
 February was a good reading month and there were no bad books, but interestingly I did a whole lot re-reading.
One series I really enjoyed was Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. This series was the basis for HBO's True Blood series. The books have some fascinating characters like mind readers, vampires, fairies, maenads, and many others. Plus there are murders and some fun  romantic twists. 
I originally finished this series in 2013 when book 13 (the last of the series) was released, and it is time for a reread, or should I say listen this time.
  I listened to the first 3 of the series this month.


Ten more books to go. And I know I will enjoy them!

And I also read the latest release in Elly Griffiths forensic archeology series. 


The Lantern Men was as good as it gets and very very much enjoyed by me.


And I listened to this book about traveling in Australia which was narrated by the author. I had also read this book many years ago, and I remembered enjoying it.. And I must say I really enjoyed it 
again. It was funny as well as informative. Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors. 


And another favorite author is Louise Penny. I also want to reread some of the earlier Louise Penny murder mysteries, and this is her third book. I reread books 1 and 2 at the end of 2019. I don't think Louise Penny can write a bad book. And Gamache, he is a great inspector and character.

If you have a travel hankering (OK, I do), the Seine is an enjoyable read. The author does spend several chapters in Paris, but this book is not just about Paris. She has stories about the life and people all along the Seine, as well as those about the river itself. I guess if I can't take a trip there, I might as well enjoy it from my couch.

And my last February listen was this short freebie about caffeine. It was just enough science as well as a lot of fascinating stories and facts. I learned a lot, and definitely enjoyed it. 

And that was February. 
Thanks for visiting, and I hope everyone is having a much better start to the month than I am.


18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

So sorry to hear you haven't been well, hope you are soon back on form and symptom free, whatever the cause was. Your Irish project is beautiful, reminds me of my childhood as we lived in an area where lots of Irish lived and celebrated! You've been reading some good books, too. Have a good weekend and take care of yourself, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Sorry you're feeling under the weather, and I hope the effects of the shot wear off soon.

Fabulous Irish page. I really love the Irish lass framed by the shamrock. With the way she's holding her hands, she looks a bit like a Celtic knotwork design called a triquetra. You sure did a lot of reading last month. Hope you're able to enjoy the sunshine today.

froebelsternchen said...

Your green piece is beautiful ! A fabulous Irish page!
Hope you get well soon Erika!
Happy Sunday!
Big hugs, Susi

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A wonderful journal about Ireland, great creative.
I hope you get better soon!
These are great books!
Have a nice weekend, Elke

kathyinozarks said...

Hi I love your green journal cover-sounds like a very interesting journal so anxious to see more.
I enjoy your book shares-I have not been feeling well since October-I think my allergies and asthma are really off. I am adding in some herb type things this month to see if it helps take care of yourself-hugs Kathy

Meggymay said...

I really love your Irish themed journal page and often wonder why the colour green is linked in so many ways to the country. We visited southern Ireland a few times when our youngest lived and worked there, the fields were a lush green colour even in winter. The locals however said this was the quantity of rain they got.
I do hope you are feeling better my friend, look after yourself.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I'm going to very much enjoy your new journal. I like the idea of vintage, and the fact it;s green helps with Eileen's theme at Art Journal Journey. But what impresses me is the way you have put the first page together. This is incredible. I love that you used that strip of wall paper. Overall, it's a fabulous page.

Caty said...

Oh Erika, I´m sorry to heard about your allergy, and I hope you could recover very soon, (perhaps after those month, like my niece, who is always ill in February and March due to her allergy). I send you my best wishes.
I have to say that your Art page is just Amazing, I loove it, love the green, the so beautiful background, the washi, and the trebol with the lady, yes, a fabulous vintage Art !
Your books may be very interesting, thanks so much for sharing them with us.
I wish you a very nice Sunday, take care, and I send biiig hugs,
Caty

Iris Flavia said...

So many great books!
(Btw... that is my Brother and me in the pic on Dad´s Birthday ;-)...).

Oh, I have many books to read anyways!!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm sorry you're feeling "poorly" as we say, and I hope a break in the allergy shots gives you relief.

I remember reading several in the Charlaine Harris series, but there was a rape scene in one of them and I couldn't get past the aftermath of that. I was enjoying them 'til then... I want to read the Bill Bryson book. I read a couple, I think) by him years ago, and his writing made me feel like I was right there with him :) I need to check out Louise Penny. This sounds interesting! And I know I'd enjoy the book about caffeine. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm updating my list.

R's Rue said...

Feel better.

Eileen Bergen said...

I don't think your vintage travel journal is cliche at all! I love this green page. It's fun to try something different once in a while. Thank you for sharing it with us at AJJ.

Sorry you're struggling health-wise, Erika. By coincidence, I had racing heart episodes that started in early December. I'm fine now with a change in medication. But it was truly frightening and took three months to sort me out. Chris took me to emergency once, it was so bad. I hope you're back to normal soon.

Eileen xx

sirkkis said...

I hope you are well soon, Erika.
Love your beautiful green art. Beautiful!
Wishing you a healthy week ahead xx

Jeanie said...

I hope by today you are much better and this isn't the dreaded CV19. Take care, lay low and stay home.

Love your art and book list. I'm hoping when my friend and I exchange late Christmas some Elly G. shows up. If not, I'm ordering it. I might have that Seine book. Something similar. I need to check (it's on the TBR pile!)

Neet said...

I was so sorry to read, in your comment on my blog, that you have not been well. I do hope that it is only (sorry, not meant to underplay how you are feeling) the aftereffects of an injection and nothing to do with this dreadful virus that seems to be hitting all over the world. Do take care of yourself Erika, please.
I love your page - so green and that shamrock is perfect for the lady sitting inside it. It is almost as you have drawn her yourself to make her fit in with her hands in the position they are in. The map is lovely too, with its Illuminated I for Ireland and every single thing that came from your pack works so well. I have never managed to put a pack together as good as this.
Thanks for the book list - I hope they helped whilst you were ill. I haven't read any of these but I will certainly be looking at them in more detail
Hugs and Get Well Wishes
Neet x

Tammy said...

Beautiful page! I love the Irish theme and the fabulous ephemera you used! I hope you feel better soon.
Tammy x

craftytrog said...

A very striking page Erika! xx

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - you read a lot of books! I love the Sookie books too - I read most of them a few years ago and still smile when I see one in a book store or flea market. I may read a few of the other ones you have listed here - they look very interesting.

I love the idea of a vintage journal. Super cool things you have purchased for it as well. Fun stuff!