Friday, March 13, 2020

Spy House

Hi everyone. Another crazy day in regards to this Covid-19 virus.  So many public places and big  events, like sporting ones, have been closed. It was really stressing out the kids at school. Me too actually. I stopped at the grocery store yesterday after school, and some shelves were totally empty. No pasta, no soup, no toilet paper. But other things were barely touched, like meat and fruits and veggies. Luckily I didn't need anything on those empty shelves, but my first thought was panic is setting in. I wonder how many more days school will be open. Several school have closed down here in New Hampshire but so far my school is going to open next week.  It must be tough to balance the need to continue on as we yet have no known disease at school and the fact of when is the disease going to show up and could make lots of people sick.
I am thankful that at least this reaction didn't start while we were away in New Mexico, and we were able to have our trip.
So I have a couple of journal pages that I managed to make in my New Mexico travel journal for this latest trip.
Spy House isn't a movie or book title. When we landed in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Saturday evening, we decided to spend the night at a local bed and breakfast. It allowed us to start fresh on Sunday morning instead of doing any driving  after spending most of Saturday flying.
Spy House has a really interesting story. Even though it just looks like a nice vintage home.


It is called Spy House because it is one of the places where atomic secrets were passed to the Russians back in the 1940's. This photo below is the actual room where these secrets were passed. If you are familiar with the story of the Rosenberg case, this was part of it. I will be honest I had to look it up. I remember the name but didn't know the story.

I didn't know about this when I booked the room, but  it is the kind of geeky thing I love.
And in our room we had some interesting photo ops.



Another journal page below.
And here's the inner cover I made. I found that cool thunderbird  for like 30 cents on markdown at Hobby Lobby a couple of years back. I never planned on making jewelry out of it but finally got a good use for it.

 That's all for me today. 
Have a great start to your weekend.


10 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fun piece you made to remember your stay at Spy House, great place. Here the schools all closed down yesterday, people are scared and the politicians want to be seen to be doing something....Stay safe, hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

Great journal pages Erika, and it sounds like an interesting place to stay. I love a house with a story too.
Panic is setting in over here too, and I'm planning to practise some social distancing too. Worried about my poor immune system, and very worried about our parents who are nearly and in their eighties.
Stay safe and well,
Alison xx

froebelsternchen said...

What an interesting place to stay....
fantastic pages in your New Mexico Journal Erika!
The same dilemma here with the Corona Virus...
in Austria all schools and universities are closed down,next week even most of the not vitally important shops. Daugther is at home since Wednesday.
And even panic buyings here in my back country... unbelievable!!
No more social life except of Facebook and co for us....

Happy weekend Erika!

Susi xxx

Words and Pictures said...

What a cool place to visit, so interesting. Great to see another page from your New Mexico journal - I love the white writing against the grungy background. The thunderbird looks simply amazing on the cover - what a fabulous way to use a jewellery piece.
Good luck with everything corona... it's going to be tricky.
Alison x

CJ Kennedy said...

Cool bed and breakfast and I liked how you captured it in your journal. The Thunderbird is awesome.

Glad you were able to get your vacation in before insanity set. Everything is closed here. The town manager sent a message on the emergency call that the town schools, Senior Center, and the library are closed to the end of the month. The supermarket was insane the other day. Liquid hand soap gone, as well as toilet paper and paper towels.Lines to check out were an hour wait. I hope after the initial panic buying this week, people will be reasonable about their purchases, but I won't hold my breath.

Earlier in the day on Friday, Mayor Marty Walsh was adamant on keeping Boston schools open. He must have come under a lot of fire as on the news last night it was announced Boston school will be closed until the end of the month.

Worcester schools are closed and I got a notice that WAM is closed. All classes are cancelled. Didn't effect me as I was not teaching this term.

Himself goes on Spring Break this week. The Pres. of the college has extended Spring Break another week. After that, classes will be taught on line. Himself is wondering how his chemistry lab class will be taught online.

Stay safe.

Mrs.B said...

That must have been a great surprise finding out you were staying in a B & B with such a great history.
The little thunderbird is a great embellishment for your journal cover and I love the page with all it's details.
Have a great weekend, Avril xx

Meggymay said...

You picked out a really interesting place to stay Erika and it was luck that you had your trip away before all the virus restrictions. Your journal pages look fantastic, I like the first one with the spy hole and the thunderbird embellishment was a happy find and good that you could use it on the journal.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Yesterday Target was out of eggs, brown rice, and canned green beans lol There was little meat. It makes no sense. It makes it hard to pick up the weekly shopping when some people seem to be buying enough to feed an army for a month.

Pretty house. I could live there just like it is :) It's a fascinating story. I didn't know you could visit sites associated with it.

Jeanie said...

What a perfect B&B for you, of all people! I love it! And your journal is great.

I can see the stress -- it's here too with people. I send all good wishes. Stay safe.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Wow! How exciting! We are watching The Americans TV series from the start which is fascinating but to actually say in a Spy House must have been fabulous! I love your pages, what a great find that thunderbird was! Hugs, Chrisx