Thursday, March 19, 2020

Petroglyphs

Hi everyone. Now that we have all become more or less homebodies and changed some of our habits, it is hard to believe that it was just three weeks ago my husband and I traveled to New Mexico. Boy things have changed so quickly. Now I wouldn't want to go anywhere, but 4 weeks ago when we left it was a different world.  I suppose at some point in the future we'll be back to normal again. Or maybe it will be a new normal.
Anyhow, back on our trip we did several National Monuments and Parks. Last week I took you to Bandelier, and today I will take you to Petroglyph National Monument, which is right in Albuquerque, the state's biggest city.
This park was formed because as the city was growing so quickly in the past in 30 years, miles of rocks covered with petroglyphs were found. Luckily  smart people got involved and had this place turned into a national monument before all the petroglyphs were lost.
This park is unusual as there are 3 different places were you can see these ancient rock drawings. All are hikes/walks of various lengths. As the day promised some rain, we chose the shortest trail, which should have been about a 2 mile round trip. Of course we did have some rain, and in order not to get all wet and having to sit in those wet clothes, we ended up not completing the entire trail. But we did probably make about a mile and half.
The petroglyphs were great though.










These are just a few. No one knows exactly what these mean. Perhaps directions along a trail, perhaps a story. They do think they belonged to the ancient Pueblo people, perhaps the same people who lived at Bandelier that I showed you last week.
I also saw a couple of cool birds while we walked.
 How about this roadrunner? He stood there and did several poses for me.

 And we saw this hawk.
You can see the rain off on the other side of the city and in the mountains.

I made a spread in my travel journal to remember this.

That's all for me today.
Be smart and safe and stay healthy!
Thanks for visiting.

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, what a fantastic place. Love the petroglyphs, and that bird is a dream. I would so love to see one of them on my balcony - no chance, huh? You made some great pages to commemorate your visit. Staying home is hard. I do five minutes running through my apartment and 5 minutes on the crosstrainer each hour, sitting still is so not my thing! Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

The petroglyphs are cool. Ancient grafitti. The roadrunner sure looks different than he does in the cartoon. Together nice memories for your journal.

I think when we come through this, there will be a new normal. Happy first day of Spring. Are you getting snow? We had a slushy bit of snow very, very early this morning, but it turned to rain and the snow washed away.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

What a great place to be able to visit. I'm glad people thought to preserve the place, otherwise everything would've been lost. Great photos of the area.

It is amazing how dramatically things have changed in only a few weeks. And now each day they seem to be getting worse asymptotically.

Your Daffodils are probably a few weeks behind mine. Mine start growing in mid February, and withstand any snowfalls that happen, although this year we got lucky (in my view) that we had very little snow here in CT, and had rain instead. By mid March, they bloom. Because of today and tomorrow's rain forecast, I figured they would get smashed down and muddy, so I might as well cut some and put them in vases inside, since it would also be a bright spot during this stressful time.

Did you get snow? (Ugh if you did.)

Divers and Sundry said...

Things really have changed a lot in a short amount of time. The petroglyphs are fascinating. I've never seen a roadrunner in person. What a striking bird!

kathyinozarks said...

Oh wow I love this post and your journal.
I did not know about this national treasure-thanks so much for sharing with us-stay safe-hugs

R's Rue said...

Beautiful photos.

froebelsternchen said...

Super interesting...wow!! And the page is cool Erika!
Stay safe my friend!
Big hugs, Susi

Jeanie said...

I'm afraid it will be a new normal for longer than we wish.

These petroglyphs fascinate me. How exciting to see them close, to be so near to something so very old. And I love that handsome roadrunner! Nice shots. And wonderful page, too. I do love how you do your travel journals.

craftytrog said...

How amazing! I love your photos and art Erika!
Hugs,
Alison xx

nwilliams6 said...

LOVED your pictures. I grew up in Albuquerque so it was great to see these pictures. I miss it. I think when we can travel again, that I need to go. I am glad to see that all this is still safe. I love roadrunners too. How fun. TFS!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember going there years ago. To be honest, at the time, I was bored and uninterested in what I was seeing. I kept thinking I can draw better than that and asking what child drew these? HOPEFULLY I've matured a bit since then and would love to return today to see if I felt different.

That spread is wonderful. I really LOVE the roadrunner and rest of the spread. Really lovely remembrance of this place and event.