Monday, May 8, 2023

Happy Monday

Hi everyone. Happy new week to you.
We  had some lovely weather this past weekend after several days of clouds and rain, and I managed to be quite productive not only in the garden but also with some arty time.

One thing I managed to finish was a tag for the new challenge at Tag Tuesday. This time Michele is hosting, and her theme is HATS.


I thought this girl with the sunflower hat was perfect for the nice weekend, even if sunflowers aren't yet blooming. But everything is definitely getting so much more green each day.
The background is inked and stenciled with paint.  I added some bits of ephemera, and I also stamped some words/phrases.


And I thought I'd stick with the sunflower theme and also share another page from my bee journal.


You might remember that I made this journal to keep track of my bees this season as well as add some bee arty pages. Here's my inner cover (the endpaper).

I've been planning this book for quite a while now, and in the process I've collected some sheets of "bee" paper. I used part of a sheet for most of  my background. I trimmed the top down. I also added a few little bits  cut out of the left over paper. The large  colored bee is a stamp I own, and I used a die cut to make the scalloped border. Finally  I cut the quote out of a sheet of paper, and added some old number stickers that already had punched holes. I used a bit of my yellow book binding thread to make the little strings on those number tags.

And speaking of bees, my first box went into the hive this past Friday. They're doing well and buzzing around as they explore their new world already.




This box contained 3 pounds of bees, which mean there are around 12-13,000 of them.

When you first add them to the hive you get this tornado like swarm flying everywhere. Of course they've been shocked and don't know their new home so it's expected. After a few hours they've settled back into their normal bee world, with many in the hive and some out on the lookout for pollen.

My other box ships at the end of the week and then both hives will have bees. That will be the first time since last year my 2 colonies joined to become one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that doesn't happen again. Smile.

Have a great start to the new week.









 

19 comments:

Meggymay said...

Hi Erika, I am as always catching up, I loved seeing your art especially the pieces related to the bees and the photos you included.
I hope you don't have to wait long for the results of the tests, but good to read that all was well with the kidney function, you both must be so happy, it doesn't seem that so many years have passed by since you were telling us about being his donor.
Yvonne xx

Angie's Recipes said...

Both pages are so pretty! Bee keeping is definitely something I would love to learn.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed, Erika, that your new journal will contain lots of entries like, "Bees doing really well," "Extraordinary bloom this year so lots of pollen," Record production in both hives," and so on. Just be sure to keep those darn bears away! You will have to design a lovely label for the many jars of honey you will have. Hugs - David

Tom said...

...I hope that all goes well with your new bees. They are such important insects.

CJ Kennedy said...

The Sunflower girl is a perfect symbol for this weekend’s weather. It will be so interesting watching you fill your bee journal. Glad the colony is in their new home and settling in.

Divers and Sundry said...

So many bees!!! I trust they'll love it in your neck of the woods and will settle in nicely. I look forward to more news :)

Christine said...

Love your sunflower theme

Iris Flavia said...

Hats sure are some hate-love with sun-allergy and a small head, but I love sunflowers and the art you made!
To your bees - I really saw a bumblebee on Saturday!!! Hugs!

ashok said...

Lovely theme..have a great week

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your sunflower girl, what a fabulous tag for Tag Tuesday. And your bee page is wonderful. Welcome to your new bees, may they thrive in their hive and bee happy! Hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

What a cute page and also the bees page, fantastically designed.
Your new bees are great and it's good that they've settled in, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they pollinate a lot and bring honey.
Have fun with it, hug Elke

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am positive I left a comment here yesterday.

I absolutely LOVE the bees on the sunflowers, our state flower. This is a great cover and a wonderful entry for Aimeslee's theme at AJJ.

I kept thinking how could there be that many bees in that hive? I hope they survive this year. Is this the control group or the new group?

sirkkis said...

Lovely art pages and tag, Erika.
I've been busy with tasks, which have to handel when my elder and only sister passed and I'm the only who take care of the funeral and other matters. She was very close to 93 when died. It's 2 hundred km to travel to her home. I must give it for sale.
Our nature is not so summary as yours.
Have great time with your bees 🌻🦋🐛

craftytrog said...

A cute tag, I love her flower hat! And your sunflower page is gorgeous Erika.
The bees are looking good, I hope they are settling into their new home well.
Alison

Aimeslee Winans said...

Love your sunflower theme going on. That tag is just the cutest and your page is gorgeous. You've been buzzzzzy, lol. I do hope your bee colonies beehave as you've planned. And I hope your good weather holds. Thanks for adding your bee -utiful page to the AJJ Floral bouquets. XOX

nwilliams6 said...

Wonderful tag (cute) and page (love the bee theme and colors). The bee pictures are AMAZING. I am so impressed you do this! So cool. Hugz

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a wonderful post! The cutie on the tag got me smiling straight away so by the time I saw your fabulous bee page I was already enjoying your art. Your bee journal is going to look fantastic by the end of the year! Sunflowers are such a happy flower and of course this is a perfect page for Aimeslee's AJJ theme, Good to know that the bees are settling in well, hugs

Neet said...

Love your tag with the little one with the sunflower hat but it is the bee journal that evokes the interest isn me. What a fabulous page that is.
Going back to read about your bees now.
Hugs, Neet xx

pinky said...

What a precious little tag Erika, she is so cute. Wow that is a lot of bees! Best of luck with them!!