Thursday, June 15, 2023

Land Creatures

Hi everyone. Happy Thursday to you.

Today it is time for Rain's Art and Dinner Date. This week Rain's theme is Land Creatures

You also may possibly  have noticed that I was MIA for the last 2 weeks. I was away on an Iceland adventure with my husband (as probably many of you already know). I thought today for Rain's challenge I would share some land creature photos from Iceland with you.

I'm going to guess that the most populous land creatures in Iceland (even over people since Iceland doesn't even have a million citizens)  are sheep. Other than in Reykjavik and some small villages, you see A LOT of sheep farms.


I don't think I managed to get a clear photo of these sheep crossing signs. Of course I took over 2,000 photos, and I haven't been able to go through them all yet.


And because it was still early in the season, I just loved all the little lambs you saw with their mamas in the fields. They were so cute running  to keep up with Mom.



More often than not they were twins.


I've read that Icelandic sheep farmers let their sheep free range in the summer.  That’s why you find sheep in  places where you wouldn’t expect sheep to be. These include parking lots, roadsides, , on rocky hillsides…
 These next 3 were just outside the hotel window one evening.




When we stayed in Myvatn, there were some nice trails across the street from our hotel. The hubby and I went out for an early morning walk and had a few close encounters with some of the local sheep who had wandered into the trail area and were even on the trail.




It wasn't just breakfast time for us.



Another common animal you see at Icelandic horses.  I call them Viking horses because they are genetically the same as the horses the Viking brought over when they settled Iceland. I believe (but don't know for a fact) that once a horse leaves Iceland it is not allowed back, and that other horses are not allowed into Iceland either.


Sadly I didn't get a lot of horse photos, and even this one isn't very up close.

The 4 legged animal I was most excited to see was one that's been on my bucket list.

In Eastern Iceland there are wild reindeer. Or caribou. They are the same animals, Rangifer tarandus. In North America we call them caribou, and in Europe they are called reindeer.  I often think of reindeer being herded but these reindeer were not being herded nor even in a big group.

There was an attempt to raise reindeer in Iceland many years ago, but it didn't work out. Now the population are all the generations of offspring from that experimental group, and they roam wild. Since Iceland is culturally European, they call them reindeer,.

Every time I've gone someplace where there are wild caribou/reindeer, I have never seen one. ( I have seen them in parks and zoos, but that's not quite the same.) I did eat reindeer back in the 1980's when I visited my great uncle and his family in Sweden, but even then I didn't get to see a reindeer. But now I have seen around 20 of them.👍



These 3 were in a good spot so I could  pull the car over and take some photos. Most of the roads in Iceland are narrow with very small shoulders (if there even is a shoulder). Many of the roads even have steep drop offs, so you can't stop to photograph.  There were 3 reindeer in this group, but further along the Eastern coast I saw a larger group. There was just no place to stop and photograph them.

I'm happy I can cross that 4 legged land animal off my bucket list. And that I was able to snap a photo of them too.  There is only 1 native 4 legged creature in Iceland, and that is Arctic fox, but sadly I didn't see any of those.

That's all for today.  Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the rest of your week.





18 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Some greats photos Erika.
Thanks for dropping by my blog today.

Much💚love

Tom said...

...gorgeous images, thanks for taking me along to see the sights.

Iris Flavia said...

I love sheep, in fact I have a pic of one right here at my PC 💚.
That´s really a stunning landscape.
2000 pics in what was it one week?
Makes me afraid of 6 weeks Perth, LOL
Hugs and have a great day.

Hels said...

Breakfast for the sheep seems to be delivered wherever the baby is.. when he/she wants mother's milk. On the road, in the green fields, next to a fence. Lucky babies :)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I can easily understand whey the reindeer were high on your wish list, Erika. They certainly would have been on mine. What a privilege to encounter these animals. In Canada we still have large herds, as I am sure you know, but their numbers are declining and their future is unsure as the Arctic warms and the permafrost melts. I am looking forward to seeing more of your explorations in Iceland. Hugs - David

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos in future posts, Erika, as my husband has shared that a visit to Iceland is on his list as well.

Jeanie said...

I love sheep and the lambs are just the cutest! Nice, seeing the caribou. I don't think I've ever even seen one in a zoo!

kathyinozarks said...

I loved your post today Erika. I love sheep and that's pretty neat they roam where ever they want to. and to see a reindeer in the wild-how special! Loved the sheep sign too. I am going to look for wool to spin from Iceland-I love spinning different breeds they are all so different too.
thanks for sharing hugs Kathy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When I think of Iceland, I think of the horses. Yes, the breed is so pure no others are allowed there. I love the caribou and the sheep photos you took, too. They really do seem to have free range. Just fabulous shots and great ones for the theme.

Valerie-Jael said...

How fabulous to see reindeer in their habitat, wow, reall exciting! TFS! Hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

Interesting post sheep seem to do well in the cold climates.

CJ Kennedy said...

Loved your photos. The lambies are so cute. I was wondering if you got to see any reindeer. Too bad about missing the Arctic fox. You'll just have to go back for another visit.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Carola Bartz said...

The sheep are so cute and I love that they roam freely. We saw that in some parts of England as well as in Scotland and Ireland. It's just nice to see them turn up in places you wouldn't expect. Wonderful that you could see reindeer/caribou in their habitat. I only saw them once, in Alaska, and I'm glad I did. I look forward to see more pictures of your trip.

EricaSta said...

I enjoyed your Post. Thank you for sharing.

EricaSta said...

I enjoyed your Post. Thank you for sharing.
Greetings by Heidrun

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Iceland, how exciting. A very interesting place, I can see. The free range sheep are like the free range cows in Switzerland ... found in places you wouldn't expect them. The Viking horses look small to me. Vikings are always portrayed in movies as large and robust ... hmmmm. I love the Reindeer/Caribou. I think they call them Caribou here in the states as that is what we were told when we were in Colorado. Like you they never seemed to be where they were supposed to be, so we never saw one. You were lucky this time. I hope I have a chance to see one in my future :) Lovely post, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

Just darling!