Thursday, June 29, 2023

Wrapping Up June at AJJ

 Hi everyone. I hope you're having a nice week. Mine has been busy with appointments, a couple of shortened work mornings because of heavy rains and thunderstorms, as well as  a few things I was trying to accomplish.

As today is the second to last day of June, I want to share my last page for Matilde's All About Numbers challenge at Art Journal Journey. You still have one more day to join us of you're interested.


I'd forgotten that I had paper rollers that texturize paper when it is rolled though. These tools are some of the first tools I bought back when I started scrapbooking in the 1990's, and basically they are small rollers with texture. You take a strip of paper,turn the side handle to roll it through and end up with a textured strip. I have 3-one that does circles, one that does lines and one with stars. I thought I had a heart one too, but who knows what happened to that.

One day I out of the blue remembered those tools, so I dug them out and textured some cardstock. I then used strips of that paper to create some of my background.

On the parts where there was no textured cardstock I used some very old rub-on numbers. After that I used some inks and some blobs of bright watercolors to finish off my background.


It was then time for something horizontal (the washi tape), some TH people, a TH quote, and finally a couple of Art by Marlene punch out images. I used a white pen on the bunting to add some contrast to it. 

**And I definitely want to say THANK YOU to Matilde for hosting and I also want to say THANK YOU to everyone who joined in at AJJ .**  Numbers was a really fun challenge.

I am also linking up to Rain's  Art and Dinner Date , even if I'm not on topic this week.

And yesterday I promised a few more photos from Iceland. Here they are for those who are interested. We're now on the far eastern side of the island, still along the south shore.

Here's another of those one way bridges that I wrote about yesterday. This one was scary as it was long, and because  it was foggy, we couldn't clearly see the other end of it. Luckily no one was coming the other way (which would have meant someone would have had to back up). 


We have now arrived at the popular spot called Jokulsarlon, the iceberg lagoon. These icebergs in the fog are interesting.




This is a popular place, and it was very crowded. They even have an overflow parking lot here. One thing you can do  is take an iceberg boat tour. We did an iceberg boat tour (as you might remember from an earlier post), but not here. There is a less crazy place about 15 minutes away. The big difference between the 2 is that where we went is on an iceberg lake, and these photos are taken at an iceberg ocean cove.

Here's some photos from where we took our iceberg tour. It wasn't foggy where we were, and there were only 20 people instead of the big crowds.

These first few are from the zodiac boat, and I have yet to do anything to them.








Here's the hubby and I at the head of the glacier. Our captain took this photo.




Just to give you a scale of things, you can see the next boat group walking down to the glacier lake.



And even though some of these icebergs don't look that large, don't be fooled. I'm not sure of their exact height, but they towered over us in our zodiac boat. And remember, only about 1/3 of an iceberg is above the water. 


That's all for me today. 




















19 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never seen an iceberg so I envy you very much this experience. So many reasons to go to Iceland, although I suspect that within a few years icebergs will be but a memory from the past. Hugs - David

Christine said...

Lovely page for the last of the theme. Enjoyed your Iceland photos, nice one of the 2 of you!

Tom said...

...cooling images for a hot summer day!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I am so enjoying your Iceland photos-what an awesome adventure you two went on. I looked up their weather and it is allot warmer than I had thought but does not go over 59 degrees f for the highs from what the article said-with those views that is not too bad really
Hugs from the lake

CJ Kennedy said...

I really like the textures on the paper. I don't have any kind of texturing tool like that. Maybe I need some. I hate the one-way causeways, but have never been on one in the fog. That would make an E ride! Really nice pic of you and your hubby. I have never seen an iceberg other than pictures. The aqua/turquoise color of the water, does that looks like that or just in a photograph? Looks like we might get some sun and beach temps for tomorrow.

DVArtist said...

OMGosh, your art is lovely but this iceburg lagoon place is thrilling. It's stark and beautiful unlike any place I've been with iceburgs. I would so love to go there. Thank you for sharing this wonderful place.

Neet said...

Those icebergs are fabulous. I love the picture of the two of you with the ice in the background but it looks strange in a way as you look to have lots of clothing on to keep warm and yet it looks quite warm and sunny. Just my first impression.
Love the journal page with those strips of torn paper. I have never seen a tool like the one you mention. I have a "ribber?" the one with two rollers that makes a ribbed piece out of card when you roll it through but never seen any like you mention. how fabulous! It adds great dimension to your page which I love.
Hugs, Neet xx

Carola Bartz said...

Ha, I have one of those paper crimpers as well - somewhere. Now you inspired me to look for it. Your art work is beautiful, I really like this page.

I imagine it's quite difficult to drive on a one-lane bridge when you can't see the end in the fog and therefore have no idea whether someone is crossing in the oncoming direction. Quite uncomfortable.

Icebergs are fascinating to me. I once took a boat tour in the icebergs of Prince William Sound. It was so interesting, albeit very very cold. Nevertheless, we spent the entire time outside because we thought this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Romance Reader said...

Iceland is so beautiful. And the photos are stunning. It's on list of places to visit one day.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!!! These are just amazing. Happy you enjoyed your trip to Iceland. I was looking at a vikings series on Netflix recently. Told of their history, trials, and religious persecutions.

Have a happy Thursday

Much💚love

Angie's Recipes said...

What a great trip! I have never thought of visiting iceland, but now I want to!

Iris Flavia said...

I like the happy page very much.
It´s fun studying it all!
And wow on those icebergs - but that bridge sure would freak me out...
The first iceberg-pic looks like powdered sugar, kinda! So clean.
Interesting structures. And two very happy people :-)
Thank you for sharing some more, have a great day, hugs

Elkes Lebensglück said...

These are fantastic photos of your trip, I wave to you, great to see you in the boat! Very nice numbers journalpage!
Have a good day, hug Elke

Aimeslee Winans said...

That photo of y'all is a Framer, for sure! The paper rollers give your page texture but also pattern, neat! I have something similar that corrogates card stock, maybe it's the same as your stripes one. I can't even remember where mine is stored now that I think about it, yikes. Happy weekend and 4th!
P.S. We are supposed to get a lil teeny temp break but nobody believes it, lol. I'll believe it when I feel it! XOX

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Very impressive photos and I love the icebergs and the glacier ... so sad that they are melting at man's hand. Your bridge is scary. I used to have a nightmare as a kid about a bridge that didn't have any sides ... but I think a one way bridge in the fog trumps that.
You are right, you saw Sue in my pictures. They used to have her at the entrance, but now she is in with all the others. I am sure that makes her happy, but I thought she stood out more on the main floor.
And yes you are right ... pterodactyl is in three pictures and that is my Granddaughter standing under one of them. So where do you live? Are you close to Chicago? Any chance of a meet up? It would be fun, don't you think?

Andrea @ From the Sol

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely to see you and your hubby in your matching outfits. The photos are wonderful, keep them coming! Hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

Gorgeous pix. I like snow much better when visiting it. Or better still, when someone else does and shares their photos!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

What an incredible trip! Beautiful photos. Have a great summer, Erika!

I will see you after my break.
-Soma

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again, I am completely late. A month late, in fact. I DO like that last entry for Matilde's theme at AJJ.I have ONE of those roller thingies. Mine is about 5 inches wide and is the corrugated look. I have never taken it out of its package. My bad, I guess. I like that you got different designs, though. It really gave lots of texture to the piece.

Those icebergs are amazing. I couldn't believe how big they seemed. I just hope we can cool our planet down enough to keep the icebergs intact. So glad you shared these photos, Erika. These photos are stunning.