Sunday, June 25, 2023

One of My 2 Favorite Hotels in Iceland


 Hi everyone. I hope you're having a super weekend. I'm recouping after a too busy week before the next too busy week begins. Smile. Today I have an Iceland post, and I apologize as it's a bit long.

Sometimes things happen on a trip that leads to better things ahead. I had booked a ferry to Grimsey Island in the far north. It was a day trip, and we were going to see the Puffin Colony and also so we could go north of the Arctic Circle.

When I booked that trip, I knew the Ferry was under refurbishing, but it was supposed to be back up and running by the date I had booked it. Shortly before we left I received an email that said they would not be running yet since the refurbishing needed a bit more time . I decided to change some of my planned trip, including a few of our hotels.  

That actually worked out better, because my 2 favorite places to stay were ones I booked when I cancelled the other hotels after the ferry email arrived. The first of my two favorites is this hotel in the photo below.


It's Fosshotel Eastfjords.  It is in the TINY town of Faskrudsfjordur which is built right on the edge of the fjord. Our room was on the top floor with the right hand balcony.

We had  wonderful views of this fjord off our balcony.




Here's a dusky view looking up at the mountains at 12:30 in the morning. It never did get dark.


I was pleasantly pleased we had a fjord view room since I booked this hotel not all that long before we left. 

When I was booking hotels, I did not book expensive hotels. Well, in Iceland everything is expensive, but I wasn't looking for top priced hotels by far. What I did want was our own private room and our own private bathroom. I didn't want a hostel, and I didn't want to have to go down the hall for a bathroom in the middle of the night. There were a lot of hotels with shared bathrooms.

If I was staying in one place for a few days I probably would have looked for a guesthouse. However,  except for the end of our trip, we were on the road each day, and I figured a hotel would just be easier.

I booked this hotel off a few internet photos and reviews. (I did all my hotels on Booking.com just because I could keep track of where we were staying next easier that way. And I'm not being paid or promoted by Booking to mention them either.)

Here's our room. Isn't it charming? More like a bed and breakfast than a hotel. And you'll have to excuse the hubby as he was testing out the mattress. Plus he had to take a work call, even though he was supposed to be on vacation. 😒


If you look carefully you can even see a bit of the view through the curtains.

I also loved the story behind this hotel, which I didn't know about until we arrived.  These next photos are from the small museum in the hotel.
These figures are a bit creepy, but they are part of the museum.


Originally there was no town along this fjord. However, during the late 1800's up to about World War One, fishermen from France came yearly to catch cod. This became such a customary thing that when the fishermen complained about having no doctors or places for various types of healthcare, a French hospital was built on the fjord. 

After the  French fishermen left, the hospital and other buildings associated with the hospital went into disrepair. About 15 years ago it was decided to move the hospital and to rehab the living quarters of the hospitals staff in memory of these fishermen. 

The room where we stayed was part of the rehabbed hospital. This  next photo is the other building of the hotel which was located across the street from where we stayed. It is where the museum begins and also where the reception desk was. It was living quarters for some of the nurses and others who worked in the hospital. Only the top doctor had his own home.

 It was interesting that when the moved and refurbished buildings they also  built a tunnel under the road over to the  building where we stayed , and it's in that tunnel where the museum continued.


Back to the museum.



In the tunnel, they recreated the quarters where the men stayed on the ship.


And they created the ship's deck as well as this digital wave show behind the deck to demonstrate what these men dealt with while fishing in Iceland. 


And many men did die while fishing these cold waters, especially before the hospital was built. Here's a photo of a painting in the museum.


As we were driving out of town, we found the actual cemetery where the French fishermen who died were buried.  We didn't take the walk down to the waterfront, so here's a view looking down.



And the lupines in bloom were beautiful.


Looking back into the fjord and town from up near the French cemetery.




And here's a few more views in town.




Enjoy what's left of your weekend.







24 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You obviously did your planning well, Erika, and you found some excellent accommodation. When my wife and her daughter went to Iceland they rented an apartment under the VRBO scheme and they were quite satisfied, but they stayed in the same place for the whole week they were there. Too bad the boat trip was cancelled, but these things happen. in Britain a few years ago two trips we had booked to seabird islands off the coast were cancelled due to bad weather. I have enjoyed reliving this great adventure with you. Hugs - David

CJ Kennedy said...

Fabulous trip and good that your change of plans worked out for you. Charming hotel and the views are spectacular. The mountains so different from the ones in NH. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Hopefully, the afternoon storms predicted will fizzle.

Hels said...

I have travelled around Norway, Sweden and Denmark but have never been to Iceland. What a shame... your photos look excellent and the hotels look particularly appealing.

I am sure the room with fjord views are dramatic, but did it not make you feel cold?

Tom said...

...I have never given a thought of visiting Iceland, but your photos are very intriguing. Have a fabulous weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the photos of your trip. The hotels you chose were good, and the view from your window fantastic, I would be looking at it all day. The hospital hotel is very interesting, too, but the museum is really a bit creepy. The hospital looks very cold and bare, but I suppose it was a Godsend back in the day. Nice there was so much history to learn about and explore. Posts with such lovely photos are never too long, keep them coming! Happy Sunday, hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I really enjoyed your post, and learned allot-I love learning about history. great photos, and the museum sounds interesting too to visit. Love your hotel room-very homey and comfy looking.
Hugs Kathy

Christine said...

Lovely photos

Jeanie said...

I love your room. Love it -- and the view is spectacular. That museum looks like a gem and what a fun place to be -- so close to so much history and beauty!

Shari Burke said...

What an enjoyable and interesting post! How wonderful that the ferry cancellation led to some happy surprises. Bill uses Booking.com when we go away, too and while I don't have many 'must-haves' I do have the same ones as you--private en-suite room.

Angie's Recipes said...

That's a lovely room that you stayed. The figures in the museum look so real.

Gillena Cox said...

Happy you enjoyed your trip to Iceland

You can link today to Sunday Smiles
HERE

Much💚love

Harvee said...

Beautiful views of Iceland, and a wonderful hotel as well.

Harvee @ https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Mae Travels said...

I can see the advantages of staying in hotels while visiting Iceland, and also the advantage of our choice, traveling on a ship with day trips to a number of towns and wildlife areas. On both trips (2021 and 2022) the ship took us where we had planned to go, so we did visit Grimsey Island and walk the trail past the amazing puffins and the Arctic Circle. Your hotel did have an interesting story.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Fundy Blue said...

Loved this, Erika! Thanks for sharing such striking scenery and interesting history. People lived such difficult lives in the past. I don't know if you went back to Halldór Laxness' "Independent People," but what struck me about the book was how grim and desperate conditions were for the people to eke out an existence. It was a challenging book, but I loved it. I read it after returning from Iceland. I read another distressing but great novel about Iceland, "Burial Rites" by Hannah Kent. I will never forget either of these books. I laughed at the picture of your hubby on the bed with his phone. It reminds me so much of Terry flopping down on hotel beds with his phone. Have a happy week. Hopefully it will be less hectic.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Wow, my friend, you hit the accommodations jackpot in my opinion. How cool! And the best part for me was seeing that Bluebonnets grow in Iceland! Because those ARE my Texas bluebonnets. Whodathunkit? Happy busy week ahead, xoxo

Gillena Cox said...

Happy you linked to Sunday Smiles

Much💚love

Iris Flavia said...

That is a beautiful hotel and wow on the views!
Yes, I hate shared bathrooms!
Lovely room and interesting museum. It have been harsh and hard times back in the day...
Thank you for sharing, hugs

Meggymay said...

I have realy enjoyed seeing all your photos of your visit to Iceland Erika, it sounds and looks like you had an amazing trip. You will have guessed I am enjoying my catch up.
Hope all well with you and the family.
Yvonne xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic photos. (In weather news, it's hot and humid where I am in CT, but the rain goes all around me, so the plants are very dry. Every day has possible rain in the forecast, but not much has fallen here. I hope it's not too humid where you are in NH.)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Looks like you had a great trip

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed your post, lovely to see your photographs.
I hope you had a relaxing weekend.
Take care.

All the best Jan

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You lucked out, even in your disappointment of visiting the Arctic Circle and Grimsey Island. I enjoyed the museum that was part of the hotel. That would have been worth the price of the hotel. It was a lovely hotel, too. I'm amazed at how these men lived while fishing these very cold and frigid waters. Lovely shot of the French graves, too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Erika, I spent time catching up on blog reading this weekend and felt like I went on a trip, so thanks for sharing. While the cancelled ferry trip was disappointing to be sure, your backup choice worked well. The hotel looked charming and how nice to have a balcony with a view. Since it stays light even past midnight, I wondered how difficult it was to sleep. The museum figures did look a bit creepy as you said.

Carola Bartz said...

I'm catching up with you Iceland posts since I couldn't do that the past week. This hotel sounds lovely and while you weren't able to see the puffins, you learned some interesting tidbits of history. We ahve used Booking.com in the past as well and have always been quite satisfied with it.