Friday, April 26, 2024

Carnival

 Hi everyone. Happy Friday. It's almost the weekend again, and I just realized that this is the last weekend of April. Eeks. 

   Today I have some more Greece photos and a page from my travel journal. Neither my friends nor I realized that we would be in Greece during  carnival weekend. It make sense when you think that Greek Orthodox Easter is May 5th, but since of the 3 of us who went, 2 of us were never associated with the Greek Orthodox Church, and my friend who is, isn't religious. It made a nice surprise and added to our travels.

    You'll see some faces  for  Nicole's Friday Face Off, and these also work for Gillena's Friday Face Off.

     I'll start with the page I made for me travel journal. The long confetti paper strings are pieces I actually picked up. I die cut the masks and the clowns (which I left white). You'll see why I added the clowns if scroll down just a bit. I also need to go back and write in the Greek word for carnival, which I just learned as I wrote this post.


This season of festivals right before Lent is called Apokries. The big celebrations occur on the weekend right before Clean Monday. I mentioned Clean Monday in an earlier post as one thing to do on that day is to fly kites. The fact that it was Apokries also explains why there were creepy clown faces all over the place. Clowns originated in Greece a long time ago. One article I read said that the first clowns appeared around 7 BCE in Sparta.


We missed any parades, but we were out on the town with a lot of other people enjoying the spring weather and the holiday decorations. This restaurant in Trikala was decorated for the holiday.


There was a lot of confetti after parades. 



And besides restaurants, stores and other buildings were decorated for the holiday.



As it was carnival,  you can't forget to have some masks.






     And while on Corfu on Clean Monday, we went out for a drive. We were headed north to explore some views of the Ionian Sea and also to maybe find a cute little town or 2 to check out. We should have known when we saw the clown we were riding into a festival.


That meant we were stuck in small town traffic.



Not once but twice.


     It was too bad we couldn't make it to the top of the island, but it still makes a good story. And trips are all about the stories, aren't they? I also think this makes a good reason to head back to Greece (and Corfu) one day. 😀

Have a great weekend ahead.


24 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s too bad you had to go to Greece to get stuck in traffic. You could have done that at home! All the best - David

Angie's Recipes said...

Carnival is a thing over here.

Jamie Ghione said...

This is fun!

kathyinozarks said...

Sounds fun and I loved how they decorated too. wonder what they do with all that confetti. Happy Friday Hugs Kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

What a fun time to visit Greece, and you weren't stuck in small town traffic, you were part of a parade! 😉Brilliant sunshine today. Enjoy!

Tom said...

...I don't need to go to Greece to get stuck in traffic, I can go to Greece, NY!

sirkkis said...

Greeks are preparlng on Easter, which is (was) on 24th of April, with carnivals.
Same time they celebrate spring 🌼 🌱 Thank you for sharing the great photos,
Your page is nice 🥰
P.S. Our snow is smelting👍

Anonymous said...

Colourful festival and lovely art! -Christine cmkk79.blogspot.com

Cloudia said...

You had a fun experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. Aloha from Honolulu

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos, looks like a fun event. I must confess that I don't like clowns or masks, I find them very scary. And traffic jams, we have alot here, too! Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Valerie

The Happy Whisk said...

Very fun and a good reason to go back next year. I love all the brightness of it.

Iris Flavia said...

Carnival looks fun there (not here, though) - oh, yikes, traffic jam on holiday... At least some great pics - to a great weekend, hugs! And please keep on sharing!

carol l mckenna said...

Festive and colorful 'carnival photos' ~ wow!

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Gillena Cox said...

Hi Erika. My linky is 'Art For Fun Friday.' 😊 not Fridsy Face Off.
Thanks for linking up.
We are in the Season of Easter here in T&T🇹🇹
After our Carnival we have a Lenten Season then Easter.
Luv your art. Have a good weekend

Much♡love

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How fun to be there when there was a festival, Erika, but not fun getting stuck in traffic.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh so many cool faces and masks. That restaurant looks like it has good food. Ohhh that traffic looks horrible. LOL So glad you had a good time. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a great weekend.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

So sorry that you got stuck in traffic. Your journal page really shows the spirit of the carnival you experienced there. So colourful and vibrant.
(btw, I added your url your comment on my post, so it is showing up now)

Have a lovely weekend,
-Soma

Aimeslee Winans said...

Nice Carnival page for your travel journal!
Looks like you were there for their religious version of Mardi Gras.
I'm 4 hours west of New Orleans but only an hour north of Mardi Gras West aka Galveston, Tx. Been to the festivals multiple times over the years when I was younger and it's definitely an experience for younger people! haha I'd have to travel with a porta-potty now if I got stuck in traffic and probably grumble get off my lawn a few times, lol. People get wild! Really hard to remember that I was once one of them, heehee. XOX

NatureFootstep said...

lol, that first image instantly made me laugh. :) :)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Geez, that traffic! That is enough to drive me out of town right there. The carnival would have been fun to watch from afar. Like on a balcony above it all, but definitely not in the crowd!

ashok said...

Festive post...have a nice weekend

hels said...

Even the very word "carnival" conjures up the idea of excitement :)

Mbul Kecil said...

It's so festive....i like the decoration...and that clown...have a great Day Erica ^^

Jeanie said...

That IS a creepy clown face! But I love the idea of carnival and all the colors! How inspiring!