Sunday, June 9, 2024

Complementary Colors

Hi everyone. Happy mid-weekend to you. 

Thanks to all of you who asked about Maddie. Her vet appointment went well on Thursday. We had a monitor on her, and the vet could see how high her glucose levels were. They still aren't down much, but we have upped her insulin once again. Hopefully over the next few days we'll see some improvement. 🤞

Today I am sharing a page for Matilde's What Makes You Happy challenge at Art Journal Journey. This page comes from my Greece travel journal, and as I've been working on this project, I've been using a lot of blue and orange. These are 2 complementary colors, and they have been making me very happy using them.  Besides linking up to AJJ, I am also going to link up to More Than Words and their June challenge which is all about complementary colors.

I am also linking up to Gillena's Sunday Lunch Break.


My page is long and narrow so I laid some white paper to each side so you could see the whole page.

     I began with some heavy blue cardstock, a stencil and white paint. (Do the colors and stripes remind  you of the Greek flag? That's what I was thinking when I started this page.) Then I stamped the word in white on some orange paper, After that I fussy cut some lemons and an orange from some sheets of printed paper.  The olive branch is from an ancient Stamp in the Hand rubber stamp that I colored and also fussy cut. The kitty is a chipboard piece that I painted orange. The camera is fussy cut from another sheet of printed paper, and the blue ric-rac trim at the top is a die cut. Finally, in some light brown paint with a Greek letter stencil, I added a few letters to my page.

     And I'll end this post with some beautiful garden flowers. I hope they make you smile.


Roses are starting to bloom.



The same with the peonies.



Also my milkweed is getting buds.


More later blooming irises and a peek at how thick my bee garden has come in this year.


Hmmm. I can't even remember what these were. If you know, can you send their name along in a comment.


And finally, all my Siberian irises are looking lovely also.









 

20 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The garden flowers make me smile - and very broadly too. This is a great way to start my day. All the best - David

Angie's Recipes said...

Those flowers are so gorgeous! Hope Maddie gets well soon..as I said before, change the diet, just raw meat..it works like magic!

Tom said...

...the study of color is interesting.

Christine said...

Lovely art and flowers!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful art and photos. I meant to mention that you can harvest the seeds from your bleeding heart plant, and try to grow more. (I haven't had much luck doing that, but it "should" work.) Look for seed pods on the plant, after the flowers drop off. But wait until the pods get a little "fat". The seeds have to be black, to be ripe. (If you pick a pod and the seeds are white, it's too soon.) The seeds need to go through Winter, before they will grow, so if you plant them now, look for growth next Spring.

I think I am going to be getting some of the rain you currently are. Originally the forecast said it would be nice today, but when I awoke, it was already overcast, and they changed the forecast to rain after 8am. (I wanted to do some yard work today. Oh well.)

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, Loved your art journal page. I really enjoyed your garden blooms photos-and the rain drops make them special!
Happy Sunday and new week-we woke up to more hard rain again early this morning and still raining.
Hugs Kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

Blue and orange look so good together. Your flowers are amazing! So good to hear Maddie is doing better. Sending good energy her way. Looks like today's a good day to clean or make art. I think I'll make art and then pack for Camp Ofungquit. Have a good day

Jeanie said...

Did the vet give you guidelines for tracking Maddie's insulin with the monitor or is that something that has to be read there? I hope the increased doses continue to help her.

Katerinas Blog said...

Good recovery to Mantis!
Your magazine page is great!
The flowers put me in a positive mood!
Thank you!!
Have a nice Week

Valerie-Jael said...

I hope your Maddie will soon be feeling better. I love your new journal page with the lovely, compleentary colours, great idea. The garden flowers are lovely, the rain drops always remind me of little diamonds. Look after yourself, have a great, new week, and thanks for another lovely page for Matilde's challenge at AJJ. Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I've always liked blue and orange together.

Your flowering garden is enthusiastic! How beautiful!

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased that Maddie's vet appointment went well. I do hope that with an increased insulin level you will soon see an improvement.

Your garden flowers are lovely, I especially like the peonies.

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend and have a good new week.

All the best Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

Prayers for Miss Maddie, I hope the latest meds adjustment helps her!

Verbascum (common name Mullein), figwort family Scrophulariaceae - that's your mystery flower. What I did was simple: saved your photo to my hard drive, then uploaded it to Google Image search and Bam! The pink variety is called Southern Charm down here, so I guess that means your white ones can be Northern Charm, heehee.

Great page for your Greece journal and I do love me some blue and orange, I've been gravitating to that combo myself unconsciously. Must mean Summer to our souls.

And as I do not often enough compliment your photog skills, those garden photos are truly fabulous! As are your garden blooms. Enjoy them every day!

Good week ahead, XOX

Iris Flavia said...

Fingers crossed for Maddie... it is sad when a family member suffers.
Monday already here. Love your page and yes, I remember Greece. Many a fun/crazy/happy memory.
Your garden looks great! Here it´s... hmm. I must have a "black thumb"! To yours then, please keep sharing, hugs

*Vicki* said...

Sending hugs for Maddie. Love the brilliant colors of your page and the wonderful texture of the background! Your flowers are so gorgeous! TFS

Mae Travels said...

Your flower garden looks just beautiful. I love all the different varieties of iris.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the update on Miss Maddie and hopefully all will continue to go well. The flowers are lovely and my favorite is the Siberian iris, mostly because of its rick color.

Neet said...

Blue and orange always brings a smile to my face and I really enjoyed seeing your page this morning. Brightened my day before I got up even. The blue and white reminds me of the slats of the shutters on some of the houses `I have seen over there and the olives brought back happy memories of an elderly couple of olive farmers I waved to every morning of my holidays.
So happy to hear that there is some improvement with Maddie, just hope you can hit on the right diet for her. Sending tickles under the chin to her.
Hugs, Neet xx
ps enjoyed the flowers - I keep forgetting to include some in my posts.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a different and unique page. I can see why it makes you happy. This is a super entry and ideal for Matilde's theme at Art Journal Journey, too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention how beautiful your flowers are. Just lovely.