Friday, June 28, 2024

Faces from Greece

     Hi everyone. Happy Friday. It's almost the weekend once again.  As of right now, there's still some weekend rain in the forecast. It's tough for the folks who work all week and wait for the weekend to get outside and enjoy the summer.

     I'm still sharing photos from Greece today.There were a lot of faces in the Delphi Museum, so guess what I'm posting today? Grin. 😏


There were a lot of statues. The ancient site at Delphi must have been full of them. And you get to see my traveling companion Deb in this first photo too.



A lot of them were headless or armless too.  I think after being buried in the ground for a very long time that is bound to happen, and it doesn't make them any less amazing.






And then there were lots of body parts. Luckily it wasn't bloody-grin.😁






We managed to end up following a tour group, and when we got to this last statue, the guide was explaining how this statue was the star of the museum. It's Apollo on his chariot. (The chariot is in a couple of photos.)






These dark pieces are the only parts left to the rest of the statue. I really like how they showed them in this life sized drawing.



I think it's pretty amazing that anything survived after the 1,000+ years since Delphi was at its prime. 

And for those of you prefer living faces to old statues here’s some faces that were hanging around the entrance . I think I posted one or 2 of these before, but you can't go wrong with kitty faces. (Even if Mr. Pete or Miss Maddie say dog faces are better-grin.)




This kitty above reminds me of my Emmie, and this guy below reminds me of my Leo. I love having dogs but I miss having a cat too. 


I'll be joining Nicole's Friday Face Off and also Gillena's. Friday Lunch Break.  Otherwise that's it for me today.  Have a wonderful end of June and start to July.

 

20 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

awesome faces-what a neat museum to tour and loved the kitties
Happy friday and weekend hugs Kathy

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Such wonderful sculptures they created so long ago. As you say, even headless they are still very grand. Thank goodness everything has not been spirited away to museums and galleries overseas. I am waiting for pictures of birds! All the best - David

Tom said...

...some are fragments of their former selfs.

Angie's Recipes said...

That smile of the 3rd statue looks amazing...so real! That leo kitty looks like my Hermes. Miss him terribly :-(

Jamie Ghione said...

Headless and armless statues. Intriguing.

CJ Kennedy said...

the first statue made me think of a Greek David (Michelangelo). The statues are amazing and I also like the recreation of the chariot. Can never go wrong with kitty faces. Enjoy the day before the rains come for the weekend.

R's Rue said...

Send us some rain please.

sirkkis said...

Sculptures and different kind of statues are typical art of the Greece antique. Thanks for sharing 😍
We got hot weather back over the country 😅
Wonderful happy weekend
to you Erika 😘 🐝🏵🐞

LA Paylor said...

what a dream to see, thank you for showing us... now I want to try to sketch a statue of marble for my prompt "opaque"
what a great vacation. I would love to hear all the stories and see all the slides of Greece. Was the food terrific? is is so hat there as it is here (100F)
LeeAnna

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the statues, and it is wonderful that so many pieces survived after so many centuries! Here it is still very hot and sultry and we went out for dinner again, yummy! Have a great weekend, hugs!

*Vicki* said...

It amazes me the detail of what was done with the sculptures for that time period! I'm sure it was very interesting! The faces of kitties were great too!

Gillena Cox said...

Erika what an amazong set of ststues and cutie faces.
Thanks for linking yo Art For Fun Friday

much♡love

Gillena Cox said...

Its a very very rainy Friday here in T&T🇹🇹 today

much♡love

Carola Bartz said...

The craftsmanship and precision of these sculptures is simply amazing. This museum reminds me a lot of the Ephesus Archaelogical Museum we visited in Selçuk (Turkey). It is very impressive. Of course the kitties are very sweet! Can you send us some of your rain? Have a lovely weekend, Erika, despite the rain. Hugs - Carola

Barwitzki said...

It is a pleasure for me to look at the art of antiquity. Aren't they noble bodies and robes?
Thank you for putting the treasure of the museum on your blog.
Many greetings to you.
Have a happy weekend.

Mae Travels said...

As I understand it, the town of Delphi was slowly taken over by Christians in the early years of the current era. In the 4th century the Byzantine Emperor Theodosius outlawed the Pagan rites in his territory. Thus the statues that still remained in the old Temples were toppled, and in many cases the heads were hacked off to prevent further unChristian worship. So it’s not solely due to the passage of time, but also to intentional destruction.

I really enjoyed your photos!

best, mae

Jeanie said...

Oddles of cool faces but I like the cats best!

Divers and Sundry said...

It is amazing that so much survived. How wonderful that they are able to preserve them and display them in a way that brings them to life for the public.

Iris Flavia said...

I did comment and I think I was even funny. But I can´t remember what exactly I wrote, seems blogger ate it up?
I watch Sleepy Hollow right now and there is a mean headless man roaming around - who is a cutie actually, as it turns out.
As are the cats! Hugs and thank you for sharing - it reminded me a lot of Florence.

DVArtist said...

Wow! These are amazing photos. Just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing with FFO and have a nice weekend.