Thursday, June 20, 2024

This Page Makes Me Happy

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.

    Like much of the US and parts of Canada, we are under the heatt dome. Boy is it hot and humid. Our heat indexes are over 100 degrees F (just about 38 degrees C). Some people love this weather, but not me. I'll be hiding out inside with the AC's running since it's even too hot to use my screen porch. 😓

I have another page for Matilde's What Makes Me Happy at Art Journal Journey.


     I love a bit of organized grunge. Do you? I know many people don't, but when I art journal, I really just make pages that make me happy. That's the whole point of doing it.

     I started off by gluing down a scrap sheet of deli paper that I'd been working on (to protect my table) for quite some time. You can see that from all the colors and lines and blobs on it. I think it makes a great background though. Then I added a book page and a stitched frame that fit around the book page.  

     After that I die cut some flower from purple paper and glued them down. I then gave them a bit of detail. I then added some small confetti flowers above them, and finally, I colored in the image that was on my book page. To finish off my piece, I used some washi tape around the border.

       Here's a few more garden photos to finish off my post. My veggie garden isn't big this year, but so far, it's growing great. And I'm sure my plants just love this weather. It's so tropical.


cherry tomatoes



Cukes and zucchini. I'm trying them out in garden bags this year and giving the soil a regenerative year.


My package of spinach seeds mostly didn't grow, except for the 2 plants on the left, but my kale is growing like crazy. 

That's all for me.  






22 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s a wide decision to give the soil a regenerative year. Simple practices such as this, proven over historical time ensure fertility forever. All the best - David

kathyinozarks said...

Your page is beautiful and your garden is growing well we are getting higher 90's starting today along with more humidity-
enjoy your day hugs Kathy

Tom said...

...keep making yourself happy.

Iris Flavia said...

38C is a heat dome? LOL. That´s what I call "finally warmed up"!
Cold here and none of the people I know here have an AC. We sadly don´t need it.

Looking forward to your kale! Seems like German one is different (yummy, though! It needs to get frost once and then... hmmmmmm)
Hugs and please share when ready to eat!

Hels said...

Having your own vegetable gardens makes the house look terrific, saves money at the greengrocer and keeps your dinners fresh. The only veg that failed year after year in our garden were the tomato plants, alas.

Your photos show you have succeeded best in green plants.

Angie's Recipes said...

Your tomato plants are doing really great!

Jamie Ghione said...

It's been getting warmer where I live. I took a jacket with me t the beach yesterday, just in case, but it got a little warmer as the day passed.

Christine said...

Lovely page

Jeanie said...

I hope your garden hangs in during the heat dome. I lost one small plant. Everything on your page looks good. Already 80 and I need to get out on my walk. I hope the bees are loving this -- someone should!

Katerinas Blog said...

The journal page for Art Journal Journey is happy and wonderful!! The cherry tomatoes seem to be growing perfectly, and so are the rest of the vegetables! Have a happy afternoon Erika!

*Vicki* said...

Yes...I love your happiness reasoning too! The mix of colors in the background turned out so cool! Flowers make me happy as well! LOL Yes, we are right there with you on the heat! Stay cool!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, I love your grungy age, and the strong colours in the background which contrast so micely with the centrepiece! Great garden photos, hugs, Valerie

Matilde said...

Beautiful page! Thank you for describing how you made it :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I love this heat ☺️

Your plants are doing well. I have some that are suffering this summer.

Mae Travels said...

We’re luckily at the edge of the heat dome, though it is rather hot, and we keep having thunderstorms which just make the humidity higher without cooling. I hope we all have better weather soon, but the planet doesn’t seem likely to go that way.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Aimeslee Winans said...

Not a big fan of grunge but I love the purple color of your papers. I love blue purples.
The beauty of a small garden is when you don't have many mouths to feed, you can enjoy what does ripen all the more.
You definitely have a ton of tomatoes there! Wish I didn't have a hereditary skin allergy to them becuse I love them so eat some for me.
Hope your Friday is cooler for you, xoxo

WendyK said...

Fabulous page, love the deli paper, I have loads of it, and might pinch that idea. Yes we are moving, our house is sold and we have found one we like, it’s all signing papers and keeping fingers crossed at the moment. I also am struggling to clear out my workroom as I have so much stuff and really don’t want to throw anything away. Have a lovely weekend in all that heat. Hugs Wendy

sirkkis said...

The grunge elements fit well in your beautful page. I like to use then sometimes as well.
Our heat weather was earlier and exceptionally early, so it wasn't göd for some veggies f.ex the 🍓strawberries season leaves short.
I'm wishin all the best for you and your veggies 😃🥦🥬🥕😘

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely art.
Stay as cool as you can those temperatures sound SO hot!

All the best Jan

Fundy Blue said...

We should spend time doing the things that make us happy, Erika! Your journal page is really pretty. Heat indexes over 100 F. are way too hot for me! Take care!

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome journal page creation ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm not a fan of grunge, but I like your background. There would never be two alike at least.

That book page is awesome and I love how you colored it. It's a great addition to Matilde's theme at AJJ.

I thought your spinach was basil. Had me fooled. I've already gotten several cherry tomatoes and a few bigger ones, too. Glad your garden is thriving.