Friday, February 12, 2021

Creative JumpStart and More

 Hi everyone.

 Today's post starts with my sample I made for Day 19 of Creative JumpStart.  (Yes, I am really behind!) The instructor today was Marlene Meijer-van Niekerk, and you may be familiar with her Art By Marlene line of supplies from Studio Light.

I like her colorful and playful style so it was fun to actually have a class from her. 


Step one was to use watercolors to make a colorful background. I went with very watered down acrylics instead. The new trick for me was to put a blob of wet color on the paper and then use a straw to make these amoeba like creations.  I made 3 background pages, and this was the best of the lot. The page above is not the page I used for my  piece today, but it was part of the class.

The page I did use needed a little more contrast so I added some bright green and some black ink sprays.

I have a few of Marlene's punch out image books. I like her playful images. These punch outs aren't expensive, and there are lots of images. I have never used them to make a complete collage before this one. In the class, Marlene did make  clear  you could collage any type of images you happened to have.


I definitely have some February blahs this year, especially since it is rather wintery in New Hampshire. Add to that the Covid precautions, and I am feeling a bit restless right now (like so many of you also I'd guess.) Thank goodness for art escapes. 

I did go back and use a black Stabilo All pencil around my images, and I also added the white paper trim so the houses and the globe holding girl wouldn't be floating in the air.

I also made a tag for Valerie's black and white plus 1 extra color  challenge at Tag Tuesday.


I used black watercolor paper, some white ink and rubber stamps, a pink ombre heart as well as some white metal metallic paper and a bit of black paint to finish that part.


Before I sign off I wanted to show you some of the yearbook where I got the photo I used in my last post. Several of you commented about  the book itself.
The cover is a beauty.




I picked it up because I thought it was a fascinating look back at time gone by. There are no notes or best wishes or any writing at all in the book beyond the print on the pages. Yet there are some wonderful photos. You might enjoy them so I'll share a few of the most interesting ones.






And here's the page I copied and used yesterday. You can see I did not cut it out of the book.


Each of these people would now be well into their 90's or even older. The photos make me think about these people's lives and everything that happened to them. Yearbooks are full of hope, aren't they? Like everyone is going on to have a rosy future. Hopefully they all did or are.

If anyone is interested, I can show you more.

Happy Friday. Happy Lunar New Year. 














14 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

I LOVE your work!! Yes, let us focus on our own journey.
Great pics. Sad the season is over. Hopefully the next we can go again!
Happy Friday.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the pieces you made in your course, so bright and cheerful, and just right to ward off the winter blues! Great tag, too, love your colour choice, thanks so much for linking to us at Tag Tuesday! Enjoy your day, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely artwork.

one irrational bean said...

Love the background and cuts/colors on your page. The vintage yearbook is cool and how you used it on your previous post is fun.

Jeanie said...

I love your pretty backgrounds and the fun collage that is just so darned happy! It sounds like a good class to you. And I really am intrigued with the yearbook. I think you'll have lots of fun with that and the photos are great!

Cath Wilson said...

Love your straw adventure :-) We used to do that a lot but I don't do much 'messy' these days, lol. Marlene makes some really colourful art and some of it is fab. I bet her class was an education!

Love your B/W+1 - one of my favourite themes - it looks brilliant on black.
Love the year book, too. It's such an alien concept to those of us in the UK. We don't have anything like that and I always look with longing at the US ones. Such treasures to keep and remember.

Happy weekend! Not that it makes a lot of difference at the moment, though it may do over there. We're still in lockdown since Christmas and before. Up here we were in very tight regulations for 6 weeks before that, so it's been a long time... you start to lose track of the days apart from those days you have to go out, lol.
Cath x

MiamiKel said...

Erica, this is absolutely fascinating! I would have gone nuts for that yearbook! I love your art work - so bright and fresh and vibrant! So cheerful. Thanks for sharing. New follower!

Let's Art Journal said...

Loving your page and tag! The grungy colours on your page with the playful images look fabulous - love it 😁. The year book is so beautiful too! Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Fabulous background and that class looks like a blast. Fun to look at yearbooks from.the past. It seems to me that teens looked so much more mature than my class of ‘73

The Padre said...

I Am More Than Interested - In There 90's , We Can Only Hope - BoB Hope, I Had The Pleasure Of Meeting BoB Back In The Late 80's - I Mean, Back In The 19 Hundreds - This Post Was Beyond Fascinating - Well Done

Cheers

pinky said...

Gorgeous artwork. I am loving your tag with the circles. Very effective Erika. Thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday!
Pinky

craftytrog said...

I love your page Erika, the backgrounds are fabulous. I must admit I hadn't heard of Marlene before CJS.
Great tag too, I love the white stamping on the black.
And that yearbook looks amazing, what a fabulous find!
Happy weekend to you,
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Your watercolor background is so pretty I'd've had trouble covering any of it. Yearbooks are full of hope, I agree, but I somehow didn't keep any of mine. What does that say... lol

Michele said...

your art is so gorgeous,. all of it! thanks for linking to tag tuesday! and that yearbook was quite a fabulous find! xo