Monday, February 1, 2021

Heavy Metal


Hi everyone. Happy February!
As it is a new month it is time for a new challenge at Art Journal Journey. This month our host is the lovely Valerie, and her challenge is called Heavy Metal.

My page began with me using up some bright pink paint on a sheet of watercolor paper. On the left side of the page I used a stencil to trace out the prairie style window.  I don't know a lot about Prairie Style architecture, but my stencil has a great layout of shapes. It's a Stencil Girl stencil, and here's what it says about prairie style on their website.

The style itself was in turn inspired by the broad, flat landscape of the American Midwest and was the first uniquely American style of architecture. (FYI, The Frederick C. Robie house, constructed in 1909, was perhaps Frank Lloyd Wright’s ultimate Prairie Style masterpiece.) 

And from the internet (Architecture.org):
The Prairie style emerged in Chicago around 1900 from the work of a group of young architects, including Frank Lloyd Wright. These architects melded the ideals of the Arts and Crafts movement, with its emphasis on nature, craftsmanship and simplicity, and the work and writings of architect Louis Sullivan.

You can read more here  Architecture.org if you are interested.

I  used some metallic Sharpie markers to color in the blocks of the stencil. 
On the right side of the page I used a bit of gesso and a paper towel to sponge on some white to give the pink some texture. Then I used a texture stamp and black ink on top of that and around the border of the whole page.

I used some left over bits of spotted acetate in my stash to highlight the girl. She is a TH Found Relative.  I colored her dress like a tie-dye pattern to give her some texture.


I used some TH phrase stickers for the quote.
A few weeks ago I went through some loose old journal pages and organized them as they were just sitting in 2 big bins taking up floor space. (They are now neatly enveloped and put on a shelf- hurrah.) I pulled out a few pages I wasn't crazy about and have started to chop them up to use in other art. That is where these sunflowers came from.

I chose sunflowers because they are especially plentiful on the prairie (to match my prairie style window stenciled image) and also because I love them.  The centers of  these are made with bronze colored mini-beads. Like my metallic colored blocks, these are metallic looking bits for Valerie's Heavy Metal challenge.


Hope you like my first page for the new month. I love the idea of using metal bits and metallic colors in my challenges this month.  Hopefully I'll see you over at  Art Journal Journey.
Thanks for visiting.






 

13 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your prairie style metal inspired journal page is very unique and colorful. I recognized the Frank Lloyd Wright style that reminded me of the windows in some of the homes he created. The sunflowers, with their metal centers are also great reminders of the prairie style. This is a great first entry for Valerie's theme.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fabulous page! Love the great colours and the prairie Windows, and how you used all the metallic elements. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

That is a wonderful work with the saying, sunflowers and the girl with this interesting prairie style on the theme.
Have a good day, hugs Elke

nwilliams6 said...

Loved the architecture lesson, Erika. Beautiful stencil, great colors, and very cool dress on the little girl. I know she grew up into an artist or architect or something fun with thoughts like that! Very cool. Hugz

Meggymay said...

I've had a good catch up again, and enjoyed seeing all your inspirational journal pages and art, sorry I didn't get to leave you messages recently.
This is a super page the pink colour realy gets my attention, it was so interesting to read about the architecture and those sunflowers looked gorgeous.
Yvonne

pearshapedcrafting said...

This an excellent page for the start of February - love these bright colours! I love how you got those words together too! I do wonder how things mount up so quickly ( it's time for another sort through here) and I love how you put your sunflowers to such good use!
Hugs, Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

Since the snow started a lot earlier than first predicted you beautiful sunflowers and the thought of the sun shining through the stained glass are a beautiful sight. Take care today.

R's Rue said...

💛💛💛

Jeanie said...

You never see the bright colors with priairie style -- more the browns and rusty tones with a shot of blue. The hot pink is great!

Let's Art Journal said...

What a gorgeous page! It's such a happy design and I'm loving the pink and the Prairie style window - fabulous 😀. Wishing you a Happy February and have a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous page, I love the colours and designs! xx

Neet said...

Love that bright shocking pink of your page and also the Prairie Style windows. Never heard of them before so it was interesting to read all about them.
Clever introduction to 'metal' by the use of colour and those sunflower centre especially.
Hugs, Neet xx

2amscrapper said...

what an awesome make-- I love the pink and then the stencil work!