Monday, February 15, 2021

T Stands for a King Cake

 Hi everyone. It's been cold with some small snow events this past week here in New Hampshire, and more snow arriving on this T day.   I  got spoiled in January when it was relatively mild (around  32 degrees F or  0 degrees C) and fairly snow free, so now when we've had temperatures much lower than freezing and snow falling, I want to hibernate again. Nothing worse than going out and your teeth getting cold.  Smile. 

That is another good thing I (as many of your probably also) have discovered about wearing a mask. It keeps you lower face warm. 

(History.com photo)

This  Tuesday happens to be Fat Tuesday also called Shrove Tuesday, the day before Lent begins. I thought I would make my post a carnival or Mardi Gras themed one. This is  the day that is celebrated with parades in many places, and (at least in  New Orleans) beads, masks, doubloons and lots of partying.  Since I'm not hoping a plane for New Orleans or Rio or any place where there are (or would be non-covid years) big celebrations, how about an online celebration. 

I'd like to offer you a slice of King Cake and some T.

King Cake has been on my baking bucket list for awhile now, and since I'm not working and home,  why not make one? Especially since I have been spending so much more time inside with winter here.  I was going  for a traditional New Orleans style cake, and I needed to look up what that actually was. I also learned a lot about this cake in the process.

King Cake has become a symbol of Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but it in many places it is a cake for Epiphany, also called Twelfth Night, celebrated on January 6. This is the day that the 3 Wise Men/Kings visited the baby Jesus.

There were several things to consider before I made my cake. First I needed to get a baby (read on for the baby info) and also purple, green, and gold or yellow sugar for the top. Since I decided to make this cake without enough time to mail order the supplies, I took an early morning trip to a local craft/party store to get them. 


The light in this photo makes all my sugars look green. Ugh! And here's the babies I picked up. I do want to say that these babies are not oven temperature safe, so I ended up slipping the baby into the cake after it had baked and cooled by making a little slit in the cake, pushing in the baby, and then frosting over it to cover the slit. I also washed and dried the baby before inserting it.

Since I am from the land of the Puritans not the land of  fun-filled Mardi Gras, I had to look up  why they put a baby into the cake. I read many things about the baby, but as far as I can tell, the baby represents Jesus, used to be common in Christmas cakes (when King Cakes were first introduced), and if you get the baby in your slice, you will have good luck for the next year. It will also be your job to host the next year's party and supply the King Cake. 

You don't need a baby but could insert a nut,  raisin,  bean or just about anything else into your cake. I liked the baby idea, so I was going with that.

Then I needed to decide on what filling to put in the cake. There were recipes with pecan praline, almond paste, raspberry, cinnamon sugar; you name it, it could probably fill the cake. I figured I'd go for what I had on hand (so I wouldn't need to go out again) and what my husband (the picky eater) would like. That meant  cinnamon-sugar  was the choice.

I've been to New Orleans many years ago. Even in the fall when I went it was mobbed, and I don't think I'd want to be there during the Mardi Gras crowds. Going in the fall, I never had King Cake. In case  you aren't familiar with a New Orleans Mardi Gras King Cake, it is a yeasted cake, more like a coffee bread than a batter cake. I did discover that the first King Cakes were crown shapes made from puff pastry and filled with almond paste, called a Galettes des Rois. In other languages there are different names, but since New Orleans is a city settled when the French controlled the land, I am giving you the French name. Those other style cakes have remained more popular in other places celebrating  Fat Tuesday, at least that's what the internet told me.

I wanted to go more traditional as this is my first King Cake. I got my recipe out of an old cookbook I have by Southern Living Magazine.


I made an enriched dough with Greek yogurt (substituted for sour cream), eggs, yeast, water, sugar and bread flour.  After the first rise, I split the dough into 2, and then rolled, spread the cinnamon sugar mixture and  shaped it into rings. I saw many other "styles" of king cakes on the internet including masks, braided rings, ovals and even single serving ones.


This recipe made 2 rings. I  baked my rings for about 15 minutes at 375degrees F.


Once cooled and the baby inserted, I made the lemon flavored glaze from the  the cake recipe, and then I put on my colored sugar. I saw some people colored the frosting itself, which would also work.

I learned that the purple color stands for justice, the green stands for faith and gold (or yellow) for power.


Since this is T day, let me offer you a slice with a cup of T. For some festivity, I staged my photo with some beads and doubloons (Mardi Gras style, not real Spanish gold ones) that I still have from when I visited the city.
Here's my ticket to T this week over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog where we share a drink related post.


Even though you can't see into my mug in this photo. I went with plain green tea, as the King Cake is on sweet side.

After I took my photo, when I went to eat my slice,  look what I noticed!


Yes, those are legs and a bottom peering out at me.


I guess you'll be having another T day post next year with King Cake from me. Ha-ha!

I made my King Cake  last weekend when my husband didn't have to go to work. That way there they'd be 2 of us eating  it rather than on  Fat Tuesday when it would be just me here all day with the cake in the kitchen. That would be too much temptation.  (I froze ring number 2 for another time.) 

During the weekend when one of us would take a slice of the cake,  the conversation between my husband and myself centered around whether we'd get the slice with the baby.  I think my husband was disappointed he didn't get the baby, but I can't see him making next year's King Cake either. Yet he often still surprises me. 

You might  or might not have known  any of this  info about King Cakes, but I hope you learned something new. Thanks for visiting.

 I hope you have a happy T day. And maybe a little Mardi Gras King Cake too. 

21 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought of you when I was preparing my post for T. I remember you put a king cake on your bucket list. My babies are safe to 400 degrees F., so it never occurred to me to send you some of mine. You found some, even if they couldn't be baked. And of course, I love how you staged the king cake, too. So happy you got the baby. Thanks for sharing your tea and amazing king cake with us for T this almost Tuesday dear friend.

Mae Travels said...

That's a fascinating collection of information about the Mardi Gras customs in NOLA! I think I have some of those "babies" in my doll house. Though they have never been inside a cake.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

The Padre said...

Fantastic - What A Wonderful Post - Well Done

Cheers

Iris Flavia said...

Yes! The mask is half on to keep me warm (up too high and glasses fog up - only correctly in stores).

Those babies!!! Now, really, I wonder... where did "mine" come from?!!! In Germany, in the attic?!
Haha, picky-eater, hi, pal!

Oh. Glad I have the baby in the shelf! LOL. She´s a tad afraid of cakes and ovens now ;-)
Happy T-Day!

Ella said...

That's new to me! I don't know this party! A cake is baked in this way in Europe, but somewhere in January, and the party is called Epiphany ... If I'm not mistaken!
Thanks for sharing, and maybe we'll get the recipe next time!
Enjoy your T day!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, we are really really cold here too. I have never made a king cake yours is really beautiful I can't believe this is fat tuesday already-we have just been surviving these bitter cold days here and watching the lake freeze over. brrrr stay warm hugs Kathy

Neet said...

Loved your post. I didn't even know thee was such a cake and certainly knew nothing about the babies. What a lot nyour got, now wondering what you are going to do with them all - too many King Cakes to bake to use them in that way.
Hugs, Neet xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic photos.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun post! I've never had King cake which is what happens when you let Puritans settle and area. I didn't know it was a yeasted cake thought it was like a regular birthday cake so it was good to watch your bake. Congrats on finding the baby in the cake. Clever way of solving the problem of the baby not being ready to be baked. So Laissez le bon temps rouler! Happy T Day! Did you get the ice storm or dumped on by snow? or both? Just a bit of a glaze here.

Eileen Bergen said...

This was a fun read! The first year I sold Avon here in Mexico, I didn't speak enough Spanish or know the customs very well. So guess who won the baby in the cake!

Your cake came out great and you got the baby too! The king cakes are braided here and they're called Rosco de Reyes, which means Kings' Braided Bread.

Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

one irrational bean said...

I never heard of king cake. Looks good and also a little bit of fun. I love Southern Living, great ideas and recipes. Happy Mardi Gras

LA Paylor said...

I only had king cake once... while in New Orleans for Mardi Gras the year police were on strike. It was delish, and I loved the idea of finding the baby Jesus. That was a wild year, national guard were there to keep peace but they didn't worry for little things like nudity and sex, just no violence.
hmmmm..... might have been the best time to attend!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful post, love your cake, I have never heard of king cake before. Happy T Day, stay well and safe! Hugs, Valerie

Kate Yetter said...

What a great post! I have never heard of a King Cake but I loved hearing the origins and the how-to. It sounds delicious and I loved the colors that you used on top to decorate. How fun to put the baby inside. I think this is something that kids would really enjoy eating. Glad to hear that you were able to check one more thing off your bucket list.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Lisca said...

What a fun post. Your Kings cake looks delicious. Even though the colours would put me off slightly. (I understand those are the Mardi Gras colours).
Here in Spain they bake a Kings cake (without the weird colours) called a 'roscon' in January the 6th, when we celebrate Three Kings (hence kings cake), and the person who gets the baby does not have to host the next party but that person becomes sort of the person of honor that day. I received a baby in the first year we were here (I still have it somewhere in the kitchen drawer). I honestly believe the hostess knows exactly where the baby is and gives the 'baby slice' to the person she chooses.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, I've never heard of this cake before - so amazing 😁. The decoration looks so pretty, perfect for Mardi Gras. Thanks for sharing and sending you Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

nwilliams6 said...

Beautifully done cake! I am soooo impressed you made one this beautiful - mine would be a mess. Love that you got the baby too. I may try this one day! TFS the pictures and the story. Hugz

craftytrog said...

A great looking cake Erika!
We had oat flour pancakes with various fillings for Shrove Tuesday. Lemon and sugar is always a favourite from my childhood.
Keep safe and warm,
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

This is as close to King Cake as I got, so thanks :) I was waiting 'til closer to time to pick one up at the grocery store, and then Snowmageddon came. I didn't know the colors had meaning.

Happy T Tuesday!

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh that cake looks FABULOUS!!! The colors came out perfectly. Yeahhhh there is not going to Mardi Gras this year. Have a great day.

Stevenson Q said...

Erika OMG those little babies!!!! They scare me sooooo much but seeing them as they are looks so cute HAHA That cake looks marvelous! The colors you chose, oh! You truly are an artist!