Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Cleaning Out the Refrigerator

 Hi everyone.

This week for Food Wednesday  over at  Kathy's blog (Hummingbird Studio at the Lake) I have a lousy photo of a cooking experiment that turned out delicious. 

It started when I was searching the freezer for something for dinner, and I found a package of stewing beef pieces. I love beef stew, but I really wasn't feeling anything stew or soup like. Then I remembered how my mother used to use stew beef pieces and mash potatoes to make a meal you could put on the plate and eat with a fork.

My mother's cooking was good, but not anything to get excited about.  She never really enjoyed cooking, but like me, she would much rather bake. (And when she did bake, it was delicious.) To be fair, my mom worked full time, and as many of you probably know, after coming home from a long day at work, who really feels like putting on a big spread for dinner?

My husband's tastes never matched my Dad's, which was who my mother claimed she cooked for, so I decided to take her food idea and make it my own. 

As an aside: Now my grandmother (my mother's mom) was a great cook, and I know I got my interest in trying new recipes from spending time with her. Funny, my mom said she cooked how my dad liked his food, but my grandmother used to say that my father was her new recipe guinea pig. She would always bring a container of something she had tried down to our house, and usually it was something my mother would never make. And my dad would always love whatever it was.  Hmm. Makes me wonder if my mom was really cooking for my dad or just saying she was. 

Here's what I made last week:

I took my package of stewing beef and browned it in a Dutch oven. Then I hit the frig to see what I had. I added 2 thinly sliced onions, a couple of cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, some carrots and a big spoonful of Hatch chiles.


This is a jar of Hatch chilies I bought at Costco, but I have also found them in small cans at Trader Joe's. I'm sure you can get them other places also. If you're not familiar with them, Hatch chilies are from New Mexico and are a variety grown originally by some of the Pueblo people and later by the Spanish population. They are zesty and you can taste them, but they're not really hot.

Once the meat was browned and the veggies soft, I added a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce. I used the whole can but probably 1/2- 3/4 of the can would have worked and not left so much remaining sauce in the pot. I also added  1/3 of a bottle of wine that was left on my kitchen counter, 4 big shakes of Worcestershire sauce and some dried parsley.  Once that was heated, I covered it and put it in the oven for a couple of hours to simmer until it was dinner time.

Of course I forgot to take a photo of my meal, but I did remember to take a photo of the remains in the pot. There is  enough for one more meal, but more sauce than that, so the meat and veggies are lost in the sauce. This sauce could be used as a pasta sauce though, which would have a slightly different taste than the usual red sauce but still be good.


You may have made or had something like this, and there may be a name for this. I'm not familiar with one though, so I will stick with my "Cleaning Out the Refrigerator" name until I hear differently.

Have a great week of food. And as always, thanks for visiting my blog.


17 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening Erika, I enjoyed the story of your Mom and Grandma, My Mom was raised as a farm girl, and I spent allot of time in the summers on the farm with my grandparents. I didn't really think about it till many many years later that my Grandmother was the better cook and enjoyed cooking and baking. My Mom was not very inventive for meals but she was an excellent baker and she continued to preserve foods from her garden as I have for many years. when my Mom got alzheimer she told me she hated cooking I was surprised by that she thought of it as a chore, or added work to her day-found that very sad.
anyways reading your post reminded me of that. I love dishes like this one-use what you have and make it into a dish-my kind of cooking-hugs thanks for sharing on Food Wednesdays (sorry for the long comment)

Christine said...

Looks good Erika, creative.

Christine said...

Looks good Erika, very creative.

Iris Flavia said...

Love the meal and it´s name - and the story of your Mum´s cooking, LOL!
Oh, boy, am I hungry now!
And what do I have for brekkie... carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, can it get more boring. I´ll add olives, "wo-hoo".
Good idea with the chilies - I´ll remember that for next time - thank you!
To a nice day, hugs :-)

Valerie-Jael said...

Back in England this was called beef stew, and I always enjoyed it. Have a great dayy, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have to admit this would make a good vegetarian dish, too. I'd hate to have to clean that pot!

My grandfather was a meat and potatoes man, but my grandmother tried to mix it up on occasion with pasta and veggie meals. I like your name for that meal. Happy food Wednesday.

Jeanie said...

That sounds really good. I love playing like that. What did you serve it with -- in a bowl as a stew or on the plate or over something?

Rain said...

Nice way to clean out the fridge Erika! I can imagine how heavenly that would go with mashed taters! ☺

jinxxxygirl said...

My Mom was a great cook... My Grandma was more of a 'functional' cook i would call her.. Good but nothing great.. I did not inherent a joy of cooking from any of them.. I cook because i have to.. . Now baking .. that i enjoy when i'm in the mood... Happy Food Wednesday! Hugs! deb

CJ Kennedy said...

I would leave out the chilies. I'm having heartburn just thinking about them 😸 Sounds like a good dish for today as it's chilly and raw outside. Stay warm and dry!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love this "Cleaning Out the Refrigerator" meal, esp. that sauce!

pearshapedcrafting said...

This does look delicious even though I don't eat beef. I bet it would work with any meat! Hugs, Chrisx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Like yourself, we have done clean out the fridge meals too, Erika, although right now i can't think of a recent one. Food is to costly to waste, so if there are some veggies that need to be used ASAP, I will sauté them, then add eggs and some type of cheese, usually cheddar mix, and bake. It's sort of like a quicke without any crust.

Linda Kunsman said...

What a fun story Erika. I'm sure many recipes came about due to cleaning out the fridge:). And yes, I think that extra sauce would be good over pasta. But oh my- my thoughts were on the same line as Elizabeth's- what a terribly crusty dirty pot to have to clean!

Carola Bartz said...

I love meals with ingredients you have on hand, and please stick to that name, it's fabulous. I bet it tasted delicious. Pasta sauce with chiles sounds good to me as well - it doesn't always have to be the "red sauce"! My pasta sauces are actually seldom just red since I love to change things up. Just like you did here with your stew beef.

Divers and Sundry said...

This looks delicious. I wish I could be more flexible in my cooking :)

DVArtist said...

Good way to clean the fridge. We eat meat and vegetarian meals. Have a great day.