Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Planting Seeds

Hi everyone. 

It's garden time over at Rain's Art Date this week with a theme of Planting Seeds. Since I enjoy gardening, I thought today I would share just a few of my spring gardening projects.

I am always on the lookout for a mild pepper plant for my garden that actually gives me a good harvest of peppers. I seem to have great luck with jalapenos, but most years, only so-so luck with bell peppers. Last year I saw some Japanese shishito pepper plants at my local garden center. They said they were sweet peppers, and I'm up for experimenting, so I picked up a 6 pack (of seedlings) and gave them a try.

This is not my photo, but gives you a good view of how these peppers look in case they are new to you, as they were to me last year. They look a lot like jalapenos, don't they?

I had a great crop of these Japanese peppers last year. In fact, I had so many I left 8 of them to dry on my kitchen windowsill all winter. You can see in this next photo ( I took last year),  that the peppers turned yellow and then after that (as you can just see in the right hand side of the photo), they turned red. 


Eventually they dried out and hardened.

This spring I picked up one of those stay-moist little seed starter containers. Most of the time I sow seeds directly into soil, but I was experimenting and if these grew, I wanted to get a head start to becoming some good sized plants for the veggie garden. (Living in the northeast I started these inside in March, but they can't be plant in my garden-for fear of a late frost-until late May.)



I just planted these white seed growth containers  in my garden cold frame earlier this week. I'll have to see how they do.

I did start some colder weather plants in my cold frame. I did lettuce, kale and spinach. I can't wait to have some fresh greens, and I'm happy to see that I have a lot of seedlings just  popping out of the ground. 


My cold frame is not very big, so  now that I put my pepper seeding in it also, there isn't any room for any more seedlings.  When I mentioned to my husband I should get a second cold frame, he rolled his eyes at me in a way that said he thought I was nuts. I didn't buy one this year, but there are still other years if I really get into starting plants. And I know I could start some in milk/water containers, but I have enough other projects right now I am poking away at.

I have one more plant coming up in my veggie garden. 


Years ago I planted some asparagus seeds. Those seeds grew, and every year I get a few stalks to eat. Last year the greenhouse near me was having it's early July closing down sale, which is buy one plant and get one free. They had a couple of asparagus plants, so I picked them up and planted them near my one plant. Both of those plants are shooting up stalks. I'm still waiting to see what my older from seed plant grows this year.


And speaking of seeds, can you see all the bird seed hulls on the ground? In the winter the bird feeders are next to my veggie garden, but I move them further away in the ncie weather so that the chipmunks don't eat away at my garden plants. Or at least I hope moving the feeders helps with that problem. And you can tell I haven't yet cleaned out the ground in my veggie garden. Smile.

That's all for me today. I hope May is treating you well.





 

16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

looks like you have been able to get some gardening in-can't believe it but still cold and raining here-they are saying 2 inches tonight.
I have grown the shashito peppers and they are wonderful and grew well for me -they freeze well too Happy gardening

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Lucky you on that asparagus. I always heard it takes three years to get viable plants that you can actually eat. I remember my grandfather grew it. It's the reason why I love it so much.

How nice those peppers seeded. That is really amazing and they started sprouting so quickly, too. Nice to see your newly planted cold frame plants. Happy Thursday, dear.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting with the changing colors!
I bought a mini-Greenhouse for chili peppers and will try that on the weekend.
Sadly we only have a small balcony, but I also have cress and basil to try.
And maybe will try sunflowers, just to make a point?

Valerie-Jael said...

You have a lot of veggies planted, I wsh you a wonderful crop. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

Pepper magic😊turning yellow then red. Thought they would stay yellow.

Happy Thursday

Much💛love

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice to see green and growing things. Good luck with those peppers. Enjoy the sunshine and warm today.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your peppers look wonderful, Erika. I am a huge fan of peppers, sweet, hot, big, small, bell, jalapeño, Scotch Bonnet....and on and on. Peppers are staples in our house. We are a two-wok family (how's that for bragging?) and a stir fry is one of our favourite meals - quick, simple and nutritious and peppers are always part of it. Sometimes we'll add in a little shrimp or chicken, but just as often it's filled with veggies only. We serve it with rice or ramen noodles. So, your peppers get the Canada Grade A seal of approval from me. Hugs, David

Christine said...

Wonderful plantings Erika.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's exciting to eat home-grown produce. I grew tomatoes and peppers on my patio one year, but I have such limited sun I gave it up.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love shishito pepper! Those seed starter containers are very practical.

Rain said...

Oh asparagus!!!!! You're so lucky Erika! Mine have not popped up yet, but it's just a matter of time I hope! I planted them in 2020, so this year I can harvest some, I'm overly excited about it lol...I love those little seed planters, I guess you just plant those into the ground as is. Cold frames...I'll be hopefully making some this summer for next fall and winter. Just below my sunroom (where I have my seedlings in the windows), I get pretty much full sun all winter long so I think cold frames would really work here. I'm keeping an eye out for old windows that people want to get rid of for the construction of it. I'm trying peppers this year, but Bell peppers, I find the Jalapenos a little too hot for my digestion! I love gardening season, thanks for sharing!!!

NatureFootstep said...

great post for TAD this week :)

Elderberry-Rob said...

I think I should have followed your cold frame example, some of my veggies are still in very early stages as we haven't enough sun yet - I have some baby pepper plants so am hopeful of a nice colourful crop late Summer :) Asparagus is so delicious and I think its always good to grow the veg that is the most exotic/expensive if you are limited on space but I have heard there is no crop until the second year which I would have trouble being patient and waiting for! I bet it's 100 times better than anything you can buy in a supermarket though. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Tom said...

...may you seeds sprout into a bumper crop!

DVArtist said...

Fabulous post on your seeds and getting your garden ready. Our weather has been so bad that my garden is getting a very late start.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Brave you, trying a new pepper before you knew how it tasted. They look delicious and, unlike you, I don't do well with "hot" spicy. Do you know if these peppers are sold in the supermarkets? I don't believe I have ever seen them. My DIL plants peppers every year, but they are anything but mild. Don't know if I could get her to fit in a couple of Shishito pepper plants. And bird seed on the ground is a hazard for any bird lover but when I lived by the lake, there was a solution to the chipmonks ... gruesome as it is, a Blue Heron would come up in our yard and do away with the chippies ... I love nature, but it can be cruel so I try not to think about it. May isn't treating us well yet, but the weatherman says next week will Finally be Warm! Seems like we have waited a long time for it, but that is what makes it more enjoyable. By the end of summer we will be wishing for cooler air, Ha! Can't seem to win ... the human condition, right? Be well, Erika

Andrea @ From the Sol