Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Use a Stencil

Hi everyone. 

Thanks to all of you who joined our last challenge at  Try It On Tuesday. Song inspired art  must have been a tough one because we didn't get a whole lot of entries, but hopefully this time more people will join us.

For the next 2 weeks our theme is:

Use a Stencil



I tried something new for me and am really happy with the result. I took some white cold pressed watercolor paper as well as my stencil and some gesso. I laid my stencil over the page and covered the entire surface with the white gesso. Then I lifted the stencil and let the gesso dry. 

As I wanted to create a designed background, I figured I shouldn't use anything too heavy duty to color my page as it might take away from the gesso stenciled design. I  took 3 ink pads (2 shades of pink and a rosy red one) and rubbed them in various spots over the page, sometimes overlapping the colors.  It worked great. I created a textured  background. Parts of my page even looks a bit like cloth.


I  then added a scrap strip of flowered paper. I used a pen to make some lines on it so it looks like it has stitching. (I would have actually stitched it but I can't get to my sewing machine at the moment.)  I  stamped my 1920's lady, and after coloring and fussy cutting her I needed a place for her to stand, so I added the piece of numbered washi tape. I also added some wing stickers, the stamped birds as well as the stamped quote.

At Try It On Tuesday we accept any kind of art. This challenge runs for the next 2 weeks, and be sure to check out the design teams' samples. There are some fantastic and very inspiring pieces.

I am also linking up my journal page to Matilde's BIRDS challenge at Art Journal Journey. Only journal pages (of any size or kind)  are accepted at this challenge.

I hope we see your stenciled art over at Try It On Tuesday.
And thanks for visiting my blog. 

 

18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika! Fabulous piece with great stenciling, so pretty! Love the colours, and the texture, so beautiful. And great that the birds are there for AJJ! Have a great day, Hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love how you used the stencil to add the gesso and how it acted as a resist over the page, the effect is so delicate - perfect 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy May! Hugs Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the effect you created with the background. The lady looks like she'll turn into a red bird and fly away with the others. Maybe that's why 1920s ladies were called flappers. Stay warm and dry today.

Matilde said...

Very beautiful background. Very nice of you that you're sharing the process of creating it. It's really well done!

Jeanie said...

This is an interesting technique. It worked well and I like your finished piece very much!

R's Rue said...

This is so pretty. I love it.

DVArtist said...

Oh I like this very much. Have a nice day.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the colours you've used here ... lovely :)

All the best Jan

Joan said...

Fabulous page.I love the texture of your background, interesting technique


Joan x

Joan said...

Beautiful page, I really love the background texture, very interesting technique

Joan

Meggymay said...

Oh my this background looks awesome Erika, I love the effects you got using the stencil. Its a fantastic page and inspiration for the challenge themes.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love how your background turned out - it really does look like woven fabric! Your elegant 20's lady is fabulous! Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

That's a lovely page I am not surprised you like it so much. The gesso through the stencil worked so beautifully and I love your elegant lady leaning against that column of fabric.
The colours are so harmonious and the blackbirds flying high just make such a statement.
~Hugs, Neet xx

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Erika!

Divers and Sundry said...

She has attitude, doesn't she! She can fly while standing on the ground :)

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Erika, the background really does look textured and I thought the printed strip was fabric. Love your 20s lady and with the birds flying high that's a perfect quote
Avril xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Late is my middle name, I guess. LOVE the stencil you used for this challenge. The lady is very elegant and the birds added that perfect touch to make it great for Matilde's theme at AJJ.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Very nice gesso stenciling effect and great page design, xoxo