Wednesday, May 11, 2022

A Mother's Day Treat A Little Early

 Hi everyone. 

It is finally warming up and starting to feel like summer. I will probably say it is too hot by the time we get to Friday, but right now, it is nice to be able to finally open up most of the windows and air out the house.

Since it is Wednesday, it's time for Kathy's over at   Hummingbird Studio at the Lake blog. This week I have something that will hopefully "not gross anyone out" but was a special treat my husband surprised me with for dinner last Friday night. And it's a meal I haven't had since probably before Covid was part of our vocabulary.


These are steamer clams.

Here in New England we have some yummy seafood, since 5 of the 6 states (Vermont is excluded) have some coastline. Even here in New Hampshire we have a whopping 16 miles of it.  I'm not sure these steamers came from New Hampshire waters, but I am sure they come from somewhere fairly local.

 I even know how to dig steamers, although now you need permits and there's no more free digging at the coast to get them. My Uncle Bob, who was married to my mother's sister, came from Downeast Maine. For those of you not familiar with the area, Downeast Maine is referred to the Maine coast north of Portland. Well quite north of Portland and up to the Canadian border with New Brunswick. Uncle Bob and my Auntie had a cabin (yes a real cabin with an outhouse as that was still allowed back then) on the ocean way up on the Maine coast not far from Canada.  They had a piece of land that had been part of a large area that had been charted to Uncle Bob's family back in the days when one of the King George's ruled us in the colonies and had issued the family a charter. (I've seen the charter. It is an impressive piece of history.) 

Anyhow, I spent many weeks in my youthful summers staying with them in their cabin, and I learned how to dig clams. We would go out with our hand rakes (they look like larger garden forks with  tines and slightly longer handles) and fill a bucket, and then we would steam them to eat. 

I can't show you in this post how to dig clams, but I can explain how to steam them when you buy them. If you already know how to do this, then I apologize for the repetition. It isn't really different than if you were to steam mussels. 

 1) You need to go through your clams. You want clams that are still alive, which means their shells are closed like this one in my next photo.


This next one is questionable. The black piece (called the neck) isn't hanging out too far, and it isn't flopped over  limply, so it might be OK. But because clams eat by filtering algae and other particles out of the water, I decided not to risk it. It's not worth getting sick over.


2) You rinse them off and put them in a pot big enough to hold them and some liquid for steaming.


You can steam your clams in plain water, salt water or my preference, beer with  a little water. This is what we had for beer, so I added that and some water into my pot. I wanted to cover the clams so they all would get the hot water and steam.

3) The steaming process doesn't take  more than a few minutes once the liquid has reached boiling. You want to see the shells open up .


4) Then you need 2 small bowls and one large one or an extra plate.  Fill one small bowl with melted butter and one with the broth you steamed your clams in. My broth is darker because I used a dark beer to steam my clams.  You also need a bigger bowl or an extra plate to hold the shells as you clean the clams.


5) When you open your clams, you pull them out of their shell, dip  into the broth, then into butter and now you eat them. I like to do a few clams at a time so I open several and leave them in the broth until I am ready for the butter dip and eating.


6) And my phone doesn't do close ups really well, but when you first open up the clam there is this wrinkly black skin on the neck.  It's right under my finger in this photo. You should remove that before you eat it. It won't hurt you, but it's better without it. It is really called the mantle, and in the live clam it is what produces the shell and may even produce a pearl.


It's pretty easy. And tasty if you like clams. My husband won't eat them as he says they taste like rubber bands. (And I still wonder how he knows what rubber bands taste like-smile.)

In a New England summer clambake, the clams would be an appetizer, followed by a steamed lobster, corn on the cob, and some type of potato, often baked. In a true old fashioned clam bake, you find a low spot between the rocks on the shore or you dig a hole in the sand at the beach, light a fire, and then cook your food here. In these types of clambakes, you would often have baked potatoes because you can cook them easier than say French fries.

There was no lobster to follow my yummy clams. Prices for lobsters are really high right now. One grocery store had them on sale for $9.99 a pound. It must be the high cost of fuel causing the crazy prices, although last summer before gas went over the top they were just as high. And I'm basically local to the coast where they catch them. I can imagine what the prices are if you need to ship them right now. 

Eating clams makes me think of summer and lots of ways, reminds me of some fun childhood memories. I hope I didn't bore you with the long post and the digression back to my childhood trips to Maine. 
Hope everyone is having a great week.




















19 comments:

Christine said...

Yummy clams thanks for sharing the process!

Christine said...

Yummy clams thanks for sharing the process!

kathyinozarks said...

Good Morning Erika, I really enjoyed your post with tutorial so I appreciated all the photos too.
Living in the midwest most of my life I am not familiar with clams, growing up my parents just served meat and potatoes and a veggie.
I do love shrimp and fish but I am not sure I would like the texture of clams but I learned allot from your post.
Thank you so much for sharing with us on Food Wednesdays hugs Kathy

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Steamed clams makes me think of Summer, too. I love your yellow plates.

CJ Kennedy said...

Steamers! Though I prefer my clams fried. My girlies are with your husband and won't eat clams claiming the same taste to elastic bands. 😸 I once went to a real clambake on the beach down the Cape where the food was cooked in a pit in the sand and I think seaweed? And now I'm dreaming of Summer.

Angie's Recipes said...

Your husband is so sweet! I haven't had those clams in ages! Geez, I miss those good old days when I could enjoy seafood daily. Have you tried them raw with Japanese mustard sauce? It's amazing!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never had clams, mainly I guess because every restaurant that serves them has something else I'd rather have. Around here that's fried catfish. Oh, wait, now that I think about it I've had fried clams as part of a platter that included -you guessed it- fried catfish ;)

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, that grosses me out! LOL.
I remember when I was a kid and sent to an Aunt for holidays she collected Blue Mussels (she lived near the North Sea). Bad, bad smell.
I think it´s like with Vegemite/Marmite - either you grow up with it or you won´t like it.

But if it was a treat for you: Yippeee and yay for your Husband, hugs!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've had clams at a seafood buffet. I am NOT fond of them. I'm glad you like them. How sweet of your husband for getting them for you. I've seen food shows that tell you if the clam doesn't open, get rid of it. That's really all I know about them, but I appreciate that you shared had to cook and eat them the proper way. Have a super rest of Wednesday.

DVArtist said...

Great post. I haven't had clams in decades. I use to dig clams with my grandparents. Now we are talking ancient history. So glad you enjoyed the clams.

Rain said...

Erika, the summer I visited New Hampshire, I had Steamers and they were SO GOOD....Now I live in the Maritimes of Canada and the seafood is delicious! So neat that you know how to dig them!!! ☺

Lowcarb team member said...

Great post, very detailed.
So pleased you enjoyed them.

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I prefer mussels to clams and even had some last night when we dined at a local Mexican seafood restaurant here. It was nice of your husband to get the clams for you especially when you said at the end of the post that he does not share your enjoyment, Erika.

Linda Kunsman said...

What a fun post about clamming! Believe it or not I've never had clams in any way and I know I must rectify that. But, somebody else can gather them:)

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you enjoyed your dinner, my husband used to love everything like that, but it's not for me! Hugs, Valerie

Aimeslee Winans said...

Glad you got to have what you consider a culinary treat! I'm with your hubby on clams, even calamari squid is too rubbery-tasting for me. Neither clams nor lobsters are locally big down here, they do inhabit the Gulf somewhat but restaurants import them. Lucky for me I'm a huge shrimp fan anyway, relatively easy to please seafood wise given where I live. XOX

Jeanie said...

Why would anyone be grossed out? This looks fabulous! I've never cooked/steamed clams but I'll bet they are delicious. I know mussels are and it seems they'd be similar (and I love the canned ones in my pasta). What a wonderful surprise and delicious treat!

Let's Art Journal said...

Great to have clams, they remind me of our visits to Maine as we had them at our friends house 😁. The lobster prices seem so high there, but they are a lot cheaper than we can buy lobster here (if you buy fresh Cornish lobster it's just under £50 a pound). Glad you got a Mother's Day treat, that was so thoughtful! Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Not grossed out at all but if they are anything like cockles or whelks I don't think I would like them- very interesting to read your post though, hugs, Chrisx