Saturday, May 28, 2022

Home Sweet Home

 Hi everyone. Happy weekend.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend. May is winding down quickly, which really can't be possible, can it? 

Today I want to share another page for Matilde's bird challenge at Art Journal Journey.



The centerpiece is a page of a rather dilapidated  old children's bird book I have.  Before that got added, I started with a piece of watercolor paper that I inked a bit. Then I took an old dictionary page and used some watercolor paints on it. I layered these with my birdhouse page. I sponged a bit of gesso around the edge of the birdhouse paper to make my page look a little less like 3 pages layered together. Then I added some feathers which I cut out from a sheet of clear printed feathers. Finally I added some little foam confetti style pieces and used some letter stickers to title my page.

Not the most complex page, but I like it.

And since my post is about homes,  I can finally report that the spare bedroom redo is finished!!!!!! 

It is very exciting.  I've been working the past few days figuring out where to put my storage pieces and what I want to put into them. I imagine that I will end up changing some things as I go along. And I am not even close to being done yet, but I do need to clean out enough of my other bedroom because my daughter is coming home and will be here Sunday-Tuesday morning. She does need a place to sleep other than the couch. Smile. 

 Except for a new rug I bought for the floor (which is not down yet)  and one other piece, I am recycling what I already have.
Here's a few views.


I love furniture with little drawers or openings. 
These "cubbies" went right back in their old spots. The top piece is something I bought years ago at IKEA and had in my kitchen for awhile. The piece below it is a piece I found years ago at an antique store. It comes out of an old post office. For me it makes a great piece to store small stamps and other little items.


I decided to give up my cork board wall. My wall space in the redone room is a lot less than it was before  because the closet is now missing and  2 walls of space are gone. But the huge amount of light the room now gets makes the loss of  space  worth it.

In the photo above, you can see some old cassette tape holders. My friend Deb had them in her classroom. I told her if she was ever throwing them out I would take them because I saw ink pad holders rather than cassette tape holders. 

At the end of one school year Deb brought them across the hall to my room because she was done with them. I have been happily using them since and thought it was worth covering up the cork board space with them.


Since this room is tucked under the eaves at the back of the house, I don't have a full sized back wall. I also have a lot of paper, some of it is over 20 years old going back to my scrapbooking days. These empty metal cubes are also old; in fact we used to keep my daughter's toys in them. Since then I have arranged them to hold all my assorted papers and paper products, including pages I have started but haven't completed as well as some old magazines I like to cut out pictures from.

Because of the ceiling beam, they didn't quite fit on the back wall, so I put them next to my hardware store "cubbies". I also have a repurposed shoe holder that I will store cutting dies in. It is sitting on a little 2 sided "box" to get it up off the floor a bit.

I've shown you my hardware store "cubbies" before, but in case you don't know what I am talking about, here they are again.


This old hardware store unit will be my general supply area where you can find most of my paints, tapes, clamps, tissue paper rolls, journals I am working on, paint brushes, etc. I've started filling it but haven't finished it yet.
 
You might remember the little attic door that goes into our under the eaves storage.


I thought it needed a face lift, so the other day I painted it to match the walls. (Ignore the storage pieces I was trying out. I'm not sure if they will go where they are or not.)


And finally my workbench is going along this wall. I will put my die cut machine on it, as well as a box I have that will hold little do-dad embellishments.  I want to still be able to work on it so I don't want too much on it.

 

As I said, there is still a lot to do. I am very thankful to my husband for doing all this; the room looks amazing. No more smelly carpet. Hurrah for that. Plus it is fun to go through everything and arrange it, although it is a bit hard to purge, and I have no idea where I am going to store my couple of bins of yarn for knitting. 
I am sure the answer will come to me. 

I'm a bit behind commenting as the last few days have been busy, but I will be by this weekend. I apologize in advance if I've missed your post.

 Thanks for visiting and have a great weekend!







26 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Erika, loving your journal page very much for Birds theme but I am really Loving your new art space. awesome storage units too. we have collected many heavy heavy vintage metal units for my husbands space when he had his business for scope repairs but sadly most of it won't be coming with us for lack of space-
I really love vintage over new and yours are really awesome. Enjoy your new craft room space hugs and Happy long weekend Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

I am so excited for you, how lovely to have this wonderful space all for yourself - and of course, for the doggies! I love all he little cubbies to put thngs in, wow, it's fantastic, and I wish you lots of joy and creativity in your
new room. I love your journal page, too. Have a fun weekend, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Your art room looks fabulous. How exciting to start storing your supplies. I think it takes a bit of living in the room to find out where everything should go. Have fun! Stay safe today with the storms this afternoon.

Jeanie said...

You have been seriously productive, Erika! And well done! You've got to be over the moon about this wonderful new studio space for you. I love your various containers and shelving units and they look great in there! The setting up has to be loads of fun after the hard physical work of floors and paint and all!

Angie's Recipes said...

The art room now looks really GOOD! I need a workbench like yours too!! Your husband is such a handy man.

Tom said...

...you certainly have plenty of cubbies to for storage. I have such a disorganized mind!

The Padre said...

If The Pup Is Happy, All Is Well - And That Pup Appears To Be Rather Satisfied With The Current Situation - Well Done Hubby, Looks Functional And Amazing - Well Done

Cheers

DVArtist said...

Erika, I just love everything you have been doing. The art is always amazing too. Have a lovely day.

sirkkis said...

Hi Erika πŸ˜€
A nice bird themed page with birdhouses. Here we have been for couple of years public challenge to build up birdhouses, and just now one million houses have been reached πŸ‘πŸ¦πŸ¦œπŸ‘
It's been rainy for couple days but green color on trees are coming more and moreπŸ­πŸŒ±πŸ’š
Your new furniture for keeping things looks fabulous!
Happy Sunday and upcoming week πŸ’šπŸŒΊπŸ˜˜

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I'm with you there, I love furniture with little drawers and cubbies. Nice art.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your room looks terrific, Erika, and I am sure you will soon be enjoying it to the fullest. If you want to see your husband blanche, tell him you would like to redo the master bedroom! Hugs, David

Divers and Sundry said...

How exciting! That's a wonderful space. Well done, both of you :)

Lowcarb team member said...

"I can finally report that the spare bedroom redo is finished!"
Yippee :) Enjoy the space ...

I do like your journal page.

All the best Jan

Neet said...

It certainly does not look like 3 pieces together Erika, you have made a beautiful page and I love how you used your watercolours. The contrast between the page with all the bird houses on and the other paper is such a subtle contrast that it really has that gentle look about it. I love how this has turned out.
I am just like you, I love cubbies am I am a terrible gatherer of storage things. You have some beauties on show for us and I am so envious of most of them. Whjy do I never see such things?
Hugs, Neet (not really envious, just enjoyed seeing them and it's given me ideas.)

Christine said...

Nice page, congrats on the reno completion!

Aimeslee Winans said...

First, very nice page, the feathers make a great framing touch. Next, big congrats on your new art space! Have fun making a place for everything in its place, lol. Happy Memorial Day too, xoxo

Pooja Mahimkar said...

The art room is such a delight

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde Erika. ParabΓ©ns pelo seu excelente trabalho. A matΓ©ria ficou muito legal e interessante.

Leigh said...

Your spare room re-do is fantastic! I just love cubbies and storage units. Your's are a delight. It will be amazing to see them all filled.

Meggymay said...

Your craft room looks like it will be a haven to enjoy, I think you will be looking forward to filling those shelves and cubbies and using your new spave.
Yvonne xx

carol l mckenna said...

So excited to see the new studio ~ awesome and I am with your sweet doggie ~ what a great place to stay and enjoy ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter, and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Iris Flavia said...

LOve your page and big YAY to the room!
And to your Daughter visiting, of course :-)
To fun times, hugs.

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Erika, and your room is looking wonderful too. Lovely to see your sweet sleepy doggie too <3

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great news that the room is finished. And I love furniture with little drawers or openings too! I LOVE all of your different types of storage units in this room. What a fun place to work.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great Home Sweet Home journal page. It has every imaginable birdhouse around. Thanks for another great journal entry for Matilde's theme at AJJ.

You LOVE cubbies. I think you have every kind imaginable. You have done a fabulous job, both on the wall and in your rearranging. I look forward to seeing it completed.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm going to have to fit in several comments in one as I got so terribly bogged down last month. I'm so happy to see your room all done, loving your ink storage especially. Your journal pages are fabulous- I really loved the birdwatching one. Hugs, Chrisx