Friday, January 12, 2024

Day Trip to Salem Part 3

 Hi everyone. Happy Friday. It's almost the weekend. I hope you enjoy yours.

This past week I was recovering from Covid, so I can't say I had too much excitement on my agenda. I didn't even get a lot of art time in. 😒  The good news is that I am really feeling much better. And I tested negative! Mainly I had some head cold symptoms (scratchy voice, noise blowing), and now I am just occasionally blowing my nose. Luckily I never developed any coughing. Plus my hive-rash has improved. The worst of it is/was just getting tired so easily.

 For Nicole's  Friday Face Off  I thought I would share a few more photos from my day trip with my daughter  to Salem, MA during Twixtmas week.  I don't believe Gillena is posting this week with her Friday Lunch Break.

These first few photos are in the National Historic Park. 





And here's some more photos from The House of 7 Gables tour we took.


This big kitchen cooking fireplace certainly reminds me how much easier we have it now when it comes to preparing food. 😏

This little store (in the next photo) was never part of the house, but it was in  the novel Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote about the house. During its early 1900's renovations, the owner added the store before she opened the house for tours.


And here's 2 faces for Friday Face off. I'm not exactly sure who they were, but  I am guessing they were the first 2 generations of Turners connected with early ownership of the property. One of them has to be the original owner/builder of the house, John Turner. I'm guessing that it is the one on the left side of the photo. He built the home in 1668.


 The Turners became wealthy. In fact, the House of 7 Gables was one of only 12 mansions in  New England during the original John Turner's time. (And it is the only one left standing.) Of course a mansion in that time period was a lot different from what we now think of when we hear that word.

Three generations later, however, the last Turner owner of the home went through a lot of the family fortune, and after him, the house was sold. This is his portrait below. 


Can you find the face in this next photo?


And let me share once again the Christmas tree view with another face.


Some of you commented on the busy and brightly colored wall paper in one of my earlier posts. Our guide mentioned it also. She said think candle light. The paper needed to be bright and colorful because with only candles for lighting, all the colors were much more muted. I do know  that the darker it gets, the less we see color.


I think I'll wrap this post up here. These holly bushes were gorgeous with all their berries. Their location up against the red house helped too. I know we're almost in mid-January, but I thought this was a pretty festive view.

That's it for my Salem trip. Onto 2024. 😏





17 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, thank you for the tour

Angie's Recipes said...

I sure LOVE that stone oven for bread!

Tom said...

...thank you Erika for taking me along to see the sights. This is one more place to go on my to see list.

CJ Kennedy said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. The fatigue was the hardest thing for me to get over. I hope you get over it quickly. Loved the tour of the 7 Gables House and looking for the faces. More rain coming. Stay dry!

Iris Flavia said...

That was a nice tour indeed, thank you. Very interesting! To a great day and weekend, hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

I woud love to go there. I remember visiting Boston, but I can't remember visiting Salem. I love the Custom House, looks very British! The little store of the Turner's ia so pretty. Glad you are feeling bettre, that's good news. I just feel tired all the time. Hugs, Valerie
I found that face!

DVArtist said...

Wow! I would love to visit there. These photos are amazing and I do like the cooking fire place. Wonderful portraits for FFO. Thank you for joining in. Have a fabulous day.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the cooking fireplace and the portraits! That red is a wonderful color for a house!

Christine said...

Nice to see more of Salem. Love the holly bushes photo against the red house. Happy FFO!

Mae Travels said...

We toured Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello and also Washington’s Mt.Vernon last year, and also, as you did, noticed the bright wall colors in paint and designs in wallpaper. One vivid green color was noted by the guide as having been very trendy at the time (I guess around 1800). Not that different from our own times!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

peppylady (Dora) said...

Tree in middle of the place. I like it.

Rostrose said...

Dear Erika,
I enjoyed traveling to Salem with you. The House of 7 Gables has charm (the name always made me think of the stories of "Anne of Green Gables"...), and the little store (even though it wasn't originally part of the house) looks very homely and pleasant to me. The red house with the wreath and the holly bushes in front of it looks so pretty Christmassy!
Warm rust rose greetings and all the best, Traude 😊
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/servus-ihr-lieben-ich-danke-euch-fur.html

Aimeslee Winans said...

Love the architecture of that time. I was just reading Maria Popova's Brain Pickings blog and she had a very interesting essay about Herman Melville having a full-blown romantic thing for Hawthorne and Hawthorne rejecting his advances, all detailed in recently released letters held by family. I love reading about stuff like that, hehehe. XOX

Jeanie said...

First of all, thrilled that you are better and negative. The historic park looks terrific. I love visiting houses and places like this and I found this particularly interesting.

Neet said...

I think the tiredness that comes with Covid must be awful. Having 'cold' symptoms is bad enough without the tiredness as well. Hope you start to feel much better now that you are negative.
Lovely photos, it is always interesting to me to see houses in America, different ones in different parts of your country. I wish i could just fly around on gossamer wings and see them all for my self.
Thanks for a lovely post
Hugs, Neet xx

Carola Bartz said...

I'm glad that you are feeling much better and test negative, Erika. COVID really seems to be on the rise again, I hear of so many people who have become sick. The tour of the house of 7 gables was interesting, too - it sure is much easier to cook nowadays and I certainly don't want to go back there. Have a lovely weekend - hugs, Carola

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Fantastic photos of Salem, MA!!! - Anne (Cornucopia)