Saturday, January 27, 2024

Year of the Dragon

Hi everyone. Happy weekend to you. 

This last half of the week I had a lot of home time, which means I've had a lot of very productive art time. Except for the fact that I couldn't find a few things I wanted to use, but  I guess that's  what happens when you clean 😉.  I've gotten all caught up for January and even was able to get a bit of a start in February's challenges. Today we're off to a funeral  for my husband's uncle, and then tomorrow I'm off with a girlfriend for a couple of days of play. Luckily we'll be out of town before the snow hits, I HOPE.

Today I have one more page for my January calendar challenge at Art Journal Journey. This time I'm jumping ahead on the calendar to February 10th which is when the Asian/Chinese New Year celebrations occur.  2024 is the year of the Dragon. 


I used mostly red and gold. Red is supposed to be a lucky color and brings happiness, passion and good luck. Gold is also supposed to also be a lucky color and brings glory, prosperity and good fortune. 

I had a small sheet of printed paper. I die cut the frame and the dragon. I also used some stickers, and the big numbers at the bottom look much better in the photo than they do on the sticker sheet. 😏 I also used some paint, ink, gold washi tape, and metallic stars, and  the Asian postage stamped image. I finished my page with the small gold "buttons" on the corners and used a pen to outline my page.


This page was a lot of fun to make. Some pages photograph better than they look, and some pages look better in person, which is true for this one. Gold and red are hard to photograph and get the true tone. But I do think my page is very celebratory. 

That's all for me today.  Have a great weekend and start to the week ahead.  







19 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

To the Year of The Dragon!
Great page!
I remember Kingsway SC in Madeley/Perth, a dragon from the parade jumped into my direction and I "screamed", I have this on cam, LOL!
Well, have fun with your friend! Hugs

Tom said...

...have a wonderful year!

CJ Kennedy said...

Super page. Have fun on your out of town play day with your friend. I'm still hoping this storm shifts and moves far out to sea so we don't get any snow.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your Dragon page is fabulous, colourful and expressive. Have fun with your girlfriend! Hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

Love the reds in the page

*Vicki* said...

This is a totally brilliant idea for the theme! Such a cool celebration of the Dragon year! Love the sparkle, red and black on this! Sorry to hear of your family's loss and hope that you have safe travels. Getting geared for next month! :)

DVArtist said...

Ohh this is beautiful. As you know I collect dragons, make dragons in art, and have embraced the year of the dragon. Have a very nice day today.

The Padre said...

You Are A Wonderful Die Cutting Expert - Well Done My Dear

Most Excellent Year ,
Cheers

hels said...

The red and gold are perfect for the Year of the Dragon.

Jeanie said...

Happy Weekend, Erika! And Happy New Year!

Lowcarb team member said...

Red and Gold go so well together, that is a very nice page.

I hope the funeral went off okay ...
Enjoy your couple of days with your friend.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

peppylady (Dora) said...

Maybe I should challenge my self. Try something with Dragons.
I was born in year of rat.

Angie's Recipes said...

What a great looking page! And I love gold and red :-)

Aimeslee Winans said...

Those big number look very cool and that's a very celebratory page! XOX

Divers and Sundry said...

You're off to a great start. Happy Year of the Dragon!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Year of the Dragon sent to you, Erika, and a very colorful dragon as well. Condolences on the family passing and hope you have safe travels on your upcoming getaway. The snow here in Nashua, NH, was a couple of inches on Sunday. There might have been more, but it started off as rain until the temps dropped.

Barwitzki said...

Wonderful - you couldn't have designed the Year of the Dragon page more beautifully - I really like it... the beautiful red and gold.
I hope you have fun when you are out with your girlfriend.
A wonderful Year of the Dragon to you and yours.
Hug Viola

Rostrose said...

Black-red-gold is a great color combination, dear Erika, and goes wonderfully with the Year of the Dragon. You did a really good job!
I now say goodbye and start my recently announced blog break 😘 - with one more “last posting before” and warm greetings 🙋 . Stay healthy - we'll read again!
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/im-zoo-mit-dem-enkel-weitere-ausfluge.html

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is fabulous- I bet the dragon parades have been spectacular this year. Hugs, Chrisx