Wednesday, May 1, 2024

May

 Hi everyone. Happy new month. It's May. Can you believe it?

    Today we start a new challenge at Art Journal Journey. But first, let me thank Valerie for hosting last month, and let me thank everyone who joined us. I really enjoyed finding geometric forms in items to use on my journal pages. And they were everywhere too!

Our new challenge this month is 

POEMS

   We've switched things up a little bit, and this month we have 1 theme and 2 hosts. Valerie from Bastelmania and I have decided to team up and host together.  I'm excited for this  theme. You can include a poem, write a poem, reference a poem, or just be inspired by a poem. There are so many quotes I see that come from poems too. As Valerie says, the point is to have FUN! 

       My first page is my inspiration based on a poem I copied out of a children's poetry book I have. The poem is short, so I also added it to my page.


     At this time of year, if I have a chance to get outside, I take it. I have several projects messes around the house I should take care of,  but they don't seem to be going anyplace, so I'm not going to worry about them. Maybe next time we get a long rainy spell I'll take one or more of them.  😏 

Here's the short poem that inspired my page.


My page started with an inked and stamped background. Then I glued down some doilies that I die cut, but sadly that didn't die cut very cleanly. For some reason, when I looked at the doilies I saw a spring flower garden. I used a whole lot of Art By Marlene punch out flowers, including 2 garden fairies. I drew in and painted stems where needed. Along the bottom I added a piece of die cut trim (on gold paper) and then to finish off my highly blooming garden, I added a piece of colored lace. I believe I chopped this off an old dress many years back. 

Just a quick reminder about our AJJ rules: we only accept art journaling, no cards, tags, ATC's, etc. But we do accept journaling of any size and from any media. And if you link up from social media and not from a blogging source, we may not be able to comment on your page.

I look forward to all the poetry and the inspiration people draw from it.




19 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a charming poem. I can tell you and Valerie are in your element, while I am floundering. I really like how you treated both the background and the foreground. That trim really was the icing on the flowery cake. Thanks for this first lovely entry that you and Valerie are co-hosting this month.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, I love your colourful flower garden, so beautiful. And I am really happy to be hosting with you this month. I am looking forward to seeing where poetry takes us this month. Hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Great idea for May's theme Erika and such a cheery first page with you and Valerie amongst the blooms, what a happy creation. Love the addition of the found poem. I'm sure you will have even more creative fun this month, I look forward to seeing what comes next and hope I too can play along before another month comes to an end.
Take care & happy creative May Hugs Tracey xx

Katerinas Blog said...

Your artwork is perfect Erica.
I love the idea!
I'll try that as soon as I get time!
Have a nice month!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous cheerful page! Yes, ignore the chores when it's nice outside- we seem to be getting a few more sunny days now. Loving those two among the flowers! Hugs, Chrisx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great choice of poem, Erika. It could (does?) apply to most of us. Chores will always wait, better to be outside enjoying life. All the best - David

Angie's Recipes said...

Such a colourful and beautiful May page! I just adore the lilac colour.

Tom said...

...I wish you a magnificent May.

Jamie Ghione said...

Looks great!

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely. Perfect for May 1, Beltane. Chilly and grey here. I hope you get some sun to do your garden chores.

*Vicki* said...

Your flower friends in the middle of those blooms are gorgeous Erika! I seriously love your thoughts on where this poem took you too as well! Such a fun theme this month and how to collaborate with your friend too! Thanks for your inspiration!

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful art and poem
Have a lovely May

much🤍love

Christine said...

Nice page for the new theme, enjoy your co hosting, good idea.

Neet said...

Such a lovely colourful and cheery page Erika for your inspiration page for the AJJ challenge this month. I love how you have used Art by Marlene, her figures are such fun and her flowers so colourful.
I must admit that I had not a clue where I would go with my journal considering all the parameters I have to work within. (self inflicted I must admit - your challenge, Dylusion figures, TH Snarky Comment). But a decision has now been made and I am thinking of next week. You might even get an extra page this month!
Hugs, Neet xx

Jeanie said...

Love these wonderful purples! Happy new month!

Iris Flavia said...

I LOVE the "excuse"! De facto I have a calendar with a quote for every day and the good ones I always share with my friend fK (I also have 2 science calendars, I share the good with her, too).
But how to make art with it? Also it´s all in German.
If I manage, do I share and if so where, II found no link to the challenge.
Either way I nearly´d wished you a good start to the week as yesterday we had a public holiday! Feels like Monday here! To a great Thursday, hugs

Aimeslee Winans said...

The more time I spend retired, the more I do what your pem says, haha. A very nice spring page and poem. Love all the colors. The good things about your messes is, they are all there ready for you to choose one when the spirit moves you, xoxo

Mia said...

Great poem, my friend, and a BEAUTIFUL spring page. Kisses!

Mia said...

Beautiful poem, Erika, and a lovely spring page. Kisses!