Wednesday, May 29, 2024

The Gambler

 Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday.

     May is winding down, but before it ends I have a couple more pages for Valerie's and my Poetry challenge at Art Journal Journey. Today’s page is one I started back in the winter but didn’t know where to go with it ( to finish it.). Then the other day I heard an old Kenny Roger’s song about a gambler, and I knew what I wanted to do to complete the page.

     I didn’t have any room for the song lyrics ( which could be a poem without the tune) on my page,  but I included them later in the post.



     I cut up some old deli paper that I used to work on.  I glued it down and added the cards  and man die cuts.  I also die cut the card  suits with gold paper, added some gold washi tape and die cut the gold outer  edge of the sun. I added gold glitter glue in the sun's open space and I used a chipboard moon next to it. I used stickers to make the words “ Lady Luck”, and the die cut Nefertiti statue was something that was sitting in my extras pile. 

   To finish my page I added the “good fortune” stamped quote mainly because I felt like my page needed something else, but the song lyrics/poem were just too much when I printed them out and tried finding the right spot for them.
Here's Kenny Roger's song lyrics that inspired my page.

On a warm summer's evening
On a train bound for nowhere
I met up with the gambler
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-starin'
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us
And he began to speak
He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of readin' people's faces
Knowin' what the cards were
By the way they held their eyes
So if you don't mind my sayin'
I can see you're out of aces
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"
So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And his face lost all expression
Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done
Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep"
And when he'd finished speakin'
He turned back toward the window
Crushed out his cigarette
Faded off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even
But in his final words
I found an ace that I could keep
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done
You've got to know when to hold 'em (when to hold 'em)
Know when to fold 'em (when to fold 'em)
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done


I’ll be back tomorrow with my last page for May. Thanks for visiting and have a great day!

17 comments:

Tom said...

...enjoy May while you can.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your colourful page, and the song lyrics are good. I've never heard them before, so it was very interesting for me. This month has gone by so quickly again. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

The page is so colourful and pretty. Just a few more days, then May is gone. Time really flies!

CJ Kennedy said...

Great page and now I have an earworm to listen to while I'm at the dentisst Enjoy the sunshine before the rains return

Violetta said...

Nice page, dear Erika. And I like Kenny Rogers...but did´nt know this song.
Have a good time and all the best
Thanks for visiting my blog
Violetta

R's Rue said...

Love it.

Carola Bartz said...

I love when a song inspires you for your art, Erika. It's interesting where we can find inspiration and then implement it. The page turned out beautiful. Enjoy the rest of the week! Hugs - Carola

Divers and Sundry said...

I like this piece. Good color!

I'm getting a kick out of the folks who didn't know this song and am wondering how they managed to avoid it 🤣

Katerinas Blog said...

I like your page Erica.
Last days of May and it went by so fast!

Christine said...

Lovely page and poetry!

Mia said...

Beautiful page, Erika. I really love it.

hels said...

Gosh, The Gambler takes me back..mid 1970s perhaps. He was so down to earth re gambling, not glamorous at all.

Iris Flavia said...

The page came out supergreat!
Some wise, sad words, too.
Hope your weather is better than ours and you have a great day, hugs

Neet said...

I like your page that accompanies the words you have written out for us. Wow, what a story it tells. Took me to a different place and I was suddenly in the Wild West with 'Maverick' and my crush on the handsome guy who played him. Was it James Garner? He made my heart beat when I was much younger.
Sorry this month is coming to an end, I will miss your poetry challenge, it's been different.
Hugs, Neet xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

I love that cluster at the bottom. Ballads like that always tell a poetic story and was a great choice for your visual one. XOX

Lowcarb team member said...

I've not listened to a Kenny Roger’s song for a while.
I like your page.

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

A wonderful song and page Erika!
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,. Alison xx