Saturday, May 4, 2024

Oranges not Plums

 Happy Saturday everyone. Today I have some art to share.

At  Art Journal Journey this month Valerie and I are hosting with a theme of Poetry. One of my favorite poems is by William Carlos Williams, and it is about plums.

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

     Inspired by this poem, (which I didn't exactly take literally), I made a page about oranges. I like plums, but I really like eating oranges. Peeling the skin, pulling off the white pith, getting a whiff of what's to come,  getting my fingers juicy, breaking it into sections. The whole act of peeling and getting an orange ready to eat is exciting because you know once you get through the work of prepping it, you'll have some sweet juicy sections in your mouth in no time.  I usually keep a bag of some type of orange in the frig, and so today, my page celebrates that fruit.


I made my page by gluing down a well used piece of deli wrap onto some water color paper. I often use the deli wrap as scrap paper because it holds up really well to lots of uses. Plus I can then use it as a background or for cutting out pieces. 😏 

Once dry, I did a bit of stamping and stenciled the word Post with acrylic paint. I have a very large sheet of paper with oranges on it that I bought almost 20 years ago in Italy, and I fussy cut an orange from that sheet. I glued that down on my page, glued down the die cut heart border, and then also added a die cut ticket.

I am also linking up to Creative Artiste Mixed Media Blog. It is challenge #104, and the theme is anything Goes as long as you use at least 3 types of media. 

I will also be linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles on Sunday. 

And when in Greece, I saw lots of trees with oranges on them.


As well as lemon trees with lemons and lime trees with limes too.


And don't these oranges look fresh and delicious? (As do the other fruits too?)


This was a new fruit for me, not the name but the actual fruit. Here are kumquats on the tree.


Corfu is known for its kumquat liquor as well as kumquat cakes. 

We sampled the liquor and the cakes when we were there, and I even brought a small bottle of the liquor home that I'm saving for the right moment. 
Have a great weekend!









20 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My wife will eat oranges anytime, day or night, whereas I seem to have orange “phases.” Sometimes I seem to have one every day; at other times I go for a couple of weeks and never touch them. I really dislike orange juice though. All the best - David

Iris Flavia said...

Oranges I love the juice, they are hard to peel (ours, but then we don´t have proper avocados, either).
Guess what I have on my grocery-list thanks to you?
I love tangerines, though - great artwork and how exciting it must be to pick them from a tree! Monday Mural-host Sami has all that in her garden and loves to share :-)
To a great weekend (if too cold here), hugs

Tom said...

...I find it interesting that we have Greece and Corfu, New York just to the west of us.

Hels said...

Your unknown orange fruit may have been mandarins. The inside of plum skins are a bit acidic for me, but mandarins, oranges, lemons, limes and kumquats are great for eating raw or cooking with.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning I have heard of kumquats but have never seen them in the stores here Happy weekend

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous page, and I love that you used oranges instead of plums. I love plums when they are ripe and juicy, but oranges are great, too. I can't peel oranges these days as my hands don't cooperate, so I hack them into pieces and suck out the fruit flesh and juice. Not elegant, but I only do it when nobody is looking!
Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Oranges are ok, but they have to be the easy peel like the naval oranges. Your page would make fabulous wallpaper. I love the orange and blue color combo. Get out quickly to enjoy the sunshine sounds like showers moving in this afternoon and Sunday.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

They do look delicious! I like clementines and the ease of peeling them. There are so many varieties of oranges, it is fun to try different ones.

Rostrose said...

Dear Erika,
you have created a beautiful monument to your beloved oranges with your page. And your words are also true poetry, you describe peeling an orange in an almost erotic way ;-DD I also like the taste of oranges, but I don't like peeling them that much, so I usually cut them in half and squeeze out the juice... (That probably sounds kind of "brutal" to you... SORRY!)
Kumquats: My friend Moni has a small kumquat tree that she overwinters in the garage and which always bears lots of fruit. She often uses it to conjure up very delicious desserts!
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/rostrosen-alltag-nach-der-reise.html
PS: I'm glad I was able to inspire you to visit Singapore on your planned trip. It is absolutely worth the trip and it is a good point BETWEEN other places worth visiting.

Christine said...

Lovely art and poetry. Greece - aah!

Jeanie said...

Orange is such a wonderful companion for any shade of blue. I like your piece a lot!

Carola Bartz said...

Plums are delicious, but this is definitely the time for oranges. We have all kinds of citrus trees here and I do like the popping color in the green foliage of the trees. My favorites are blood oranges, I love the darker color of the flesh and the mix of sweet and tart. You created a very beautiful page.

Casa de España en Manitoba said...

hola hijo mio, como estas? Tanto tiempo que no nos vemos. Este....me fui pa Canada y ahorita todo bien :)

Casa de España en Manitoba
--------------------------------------
Si eres Español y vas a estar por el Sur Este de Manitoba, Canada visitanos en La Casa de España en Manitoba: https://casadeespanaenmanitoba.neocities.org/

La Provincia de Manitoba en los muchos pueblos del Sur Este ofrecen muchisimos trabajos en el ramo de la Agricultura, Almacénes, soldadura, etc.
Españoles SON MUY BIEN VENIDOS!
-------------------------------------

Gillena Cox said...

Gorgeous poem inspiration. Happy Sunday

Much♡love

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous page and I love the poem Erika!
Wonderful photos too.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Alison

Lowcarb team member said...

A lovely journal page and I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

I haven't tried kumquats but they are high in vitamin C and fibre.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fun poem! I love oranges (Orris especially) but would love them more if they came ready peeled! Your page is a beauty! Good to see more of Greece, hugs, Chrisx

Mia said...

Your page with the orange is beautiful, Erika. Oh I love kumquat liquor! I am very happy that you tasted it while you were in Corfu. Kisses, sweetie.

Neet said...

Love your fun poem, bet the person who owned the plums didn't though. If someone ate my plums, especially if they were Victoria Plums I'd be well angry.
Love the page, glad you chose blue as your background, orange is its complimentary colour and rightly so, looks fab! That orange you cut out from your 20 year old sheet is so real looking. Love that number five!
I don't like peeling oranges unless they are labelled 'easy peelers' so tend to go for tangerines, Satsuma's etc. but I do like kumquats.
Hugs, Neet xx

Fiona said...

What a gorgeous page celebrating the orange Erika - I love how it can hold its own against the gorgeous blue background. They are not my favourite fruit but your description had me wanting one. I agree about the oranges in Greece though - so much nicer than what we get here in the UK. Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media again.