Thursday, August 27, 2026

Thursday

  Hi everyone. Happy Thursday. 

 With the end of the month quickly approaching, let me start off today's post with another page for my In The Good Old Summertime challenge over at Art Journal Journey  This challenge runs through the end of the month, which happens to be this upcoming Monday.


   I started with some white watercolor paper and an architectural stencil. Then I sponged on some dark blue paint to look like an old blueprint.  I decided I wanted to use this lady on her scooter. She looks ready for summer in her sandals, sundress and big brimmed hat. I fussy cut her out of the Ciao Bella Junk Journaling book that many of this month's images have come from. Before I placed her on this page. I used yellow paint to show some heat from the sun.  I glued the lady down, and I also glued down the golden paper sun.

   Finally I used blue ink and stamped the simple quote. 

   And not to be some kind of Insect lady, (and maybe make you cringe-๐Ÿ˜‰-sorry if you didn't like the caterpillars yesterday), but along with those milkweed tussock moth caterpillars I posted about yesterday, I've also seen a couple of other interesting insects in my gardens lately. I hope today's insects are much less creepy than all those caterpillars were. ๐Ÿ˜€

   I'll start with this Katydid, who isn't exactly handsome, but is more interesting than a regular old grasshopper. I love how it's wings, when they fold back, look like leaves.  They even have green eyes to blend in.


   And along with their fun name,  they make a cool shadow too.


   And before I continue  I want to mention that Denise An English Girl Rambles from 2016 to... and I must be on the same wavelength lately. I scheduled this post back on Monday night, so I am not trying to copy hers. GRIN! ๐Ÿ˜‰

    The other visitor I found while out in the garden this week was this Hummingbird Moth. Hummingbird moths are daytime moths that have a long tube like feeding structure (proboscis) and fly at very fast speeds. They can even fly backwards. That's how they get their name, because people often mistake them for hummingbirds.




   If you're curious about these moths and their life cycle, you can read this article you can read about them: Hummingbird Moths. This article was published by a Botanical Garden found in Central Massachusetts. 

   I'll admit it makes me smile if I spot a hummingbird moth because they are pretty cool insects.  

   That's all for me today. I hope you are having or have a super Thursday.

   

1 comment:

Angie's Recipes said...

That katydid looks quite handsome :-) The summer page looks really lovely.