Saturday, August 22, 2020

Color on Black

 Happy Saturday everyone.  Hope everyone has had a lovely week. Mine was nice. I went to see my mom one morning,  had a great lunch with a blogger friend and her husband (Thanks Dorothy and Patrick!), made some art, did a bit of cleaning, went to the doctors to go through my blood work results because of my hives. but mostly, enjoyed some cooler gorgeous summer days. 

The heat feels like it is back this morning. I hope the sun remains. Even though we are in a moderate drought area at my house (not far from the severe drought area) and could use the rain,  my daughter is coming, and we have plans to go spend the day at the lake where my mother-in-law lives. Lately the track record when she comes is not very good, so keeping my fingers crossed we get even a semi-good day. I am also hoping we get some sun on Monday (that is also questionable) because she is taking a vacation day and we have reservations at the beach. 

If beach reservations sound strange to you, it a because of Covid 19. To keep crowds down at many state parks in New Hampshire, you need parking reservations. They have cut back the number of cars to 50%, thus keeping the numbers at 50%. We're headed to a beach called Wallis Sands as where it is located you don't get many walk ins.

Yesterday afternoon the husband and I had a nice day on the boat, even if the seas were a little rough. I didn't catch anything but he got a striper (striped bass).


It was too small to keep but  fun to catch. After the photo op it went swimming away.
And for yesterday's interesting boats, here's a few.

A lobster trawler heading upriver.


This is the Gundalow. It is a modern example of the first boats that serviced Portsmouth Harbor back in the 1600s (maybe) but definitely 1700's.  The have a fairly flat  bottom so they can get up some of the tidal rivers even during low tide. This one sells tickets for sails on the river.


And this is the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) research vessel parked at the University of New Hampshire dock.

A little boat like ours out mackerel fishing.


 I like how they painted the front of this boat.


And finally this beauty which looks like it is from the 1930's-minus the canvas and plastic coverings.



And finally  I have another page for Alison's pockets and tags challenge at Art Journal Journey.


I started with some black watercolor paper which is a lot of fun to use bold colors on. This page is one of my favorites in awhile.  I did some stenciling. Then I stamped and used white embossing powder to add the image (from AALL & Create). But, I also stamped the image on white paper so I could color it, fussy cut it out of the white paper and then added pieces of it to the image on my journal page.
The quote was done on another black watercolor page I made that I ended up cutting apart. I cut this strip out of the raiming paper and added it onto this page. It had the pink dots on it so I put a few on this final page to tie it together. 
And I added 2 small tags. In each I added a die cut butterfly and outlined the tag.

OK, enough said for me today. Enjoy your weekend. 

14 comments:

Elkes Lebensglück said...

That was a wonderful boat trip for you and your husband even caught a fish, only good that the little one was allowed to go back into the water. Wonderful photos of these types of ships and boats. I love the water.
I also love your journal, imaginatively designed with the font and pattern as a background!
I wish you a nice weekend! Hugs, Elke

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you are having a fun weekend and meeting up with people. Looks like you had fun on the water, that's a great fish your husband caught. Your journal page is *****fabulous*****, I love it, too. Great idea to work on black. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, have fun! Here it's cooled off a bit today. Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

It sounds like you're filling your days with a variety of fun activities and outings :) Parking reservations is a genius idea!

craftytrog said...

Looks like a lovely day out on the boat Erika, great photos!
And another wonderful page for my AJJ theme too.
Alison xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Glad you had a good week. Is your MIL on Lake Winnipesaukee? Wild weather there Sat. Afternoon. Looks like you had a good time on the boat. The boat with the mouth painted on it reminds me of Codzilla in Boston. I’m not a fan of pink, but the color looks striking on the black paper. Take care.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hope you have a good week so you and your daughter can share time together. Your husband looked proud with that striped bass. And those boats are really fun to see, especially the NOAA boat and the one that looks like it could have been used in a movie from the 30s.

Enjoyed reading about how you created your latest journal entry, too. I like the extra pink dots and the way you fussy cut the image. This is quite nicely done and a great entry for Alison's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Iris Flavia said...

Sounds mostly wonderful!
Oh, that fish is too small? Different sorts of that size are sold here.
That trawler looks like you can fall out easily! Oh, help!
Interesting range of boats, the shark sure is funny (for most people, I guess).
Wise words with the flower and seeds. Beautiful work again!
Happy Sunday!

sirkkis said...

Hi Erika,
thanks for sharing interesting beach/boat photos. My son has boat business, by the way.
Love your fabulous flower page. The background is beautiful and the quote so clever ant true.
Have a happy day and upcoming week ahead xx

Jeanie said...

That fish was too small to keep? It's enormous!

And lucky you -- you got to meet Dorothy! I love her blog. I think their anniversary was this past week.

Looks like a beautiful day and I hope the weather holds for your daughter's visit. Enjoy the weekend!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We had a great anniversary getaway in Wolfeboro, NH, and so glad that our schedules worked out for a face-to-face meet-up this time. Hopefully you will visit Nashua and/or we will visit your area in the future. Looks like you and your husband had a good day on the water, even if the striper was a catch & release. I enjoyed seeing the boat pics too. Hope you and your daughter are able to get away to the beach.

Marjut said...

Wonderful page, I love black background and the flowers sit lovely upon it.

Meggymay said...

Lovely photos from your trip to the lake and the fish would be pleased to get back into the water.
The journal page looked lovely, I like the flower in jars image. you used.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

That's a nice looking fish ...

All the best Jan

Neet said...

So good to hear you had a nice weekend and thanks for the photos of the water and all the craft that were out. I thought the fish hubby caught was a big one yet it got thrown back because it was too small. Shows how much i know about fishing LOL.
Love the page you have done but I thought it was an AALL&Create stamp so it was a surprise to read that PaperArtsy have one similar - now which came first is the question. Nevertheless it is a lovely page and I do like how you have used black as your background and put those bright colours on top.
Hugs, Neet xx