Thursday, August 20, 2020

More Natural Dyeing

Hi there. 
So today I have another set of natural dyed papers. This time I  did the usual and wrapped some leaves with some watercolor paper around some dowels. Then I put with into some iron water.
But I did do something different which created the darkness. Take a look and then I'll tell you what that was.




 

The paper needs to be flattened here so excuse the just dried wrinkles. I can tell it is a little harder to see the leaf details.
I had a bag of some old Bing cherries in the frig, so instead of throwing them out, I threw them into the pot.  
Here's me geeking out with a little cherry chemistry and nutrition. The color is from anthocyanins, and I like the dark color these chemicals gives mixed with some rusty colors from the iron water. Some of the leaves on the pages look better than others, but  any of these will make  nice additions to some art project down the road.

Hope you enjoyed your views.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your paper looks wonderful, and the colour is fabulous! Great way of using up old cherries. I have ancient peas in my freezer, but I think they would just make everything green! Have a fun day, enjoy your art-play, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Cool papers! Enjoy the weather today!

R's Rue said...

These are so neat.

Divers and Sundry said...

I see things sometimes that people say they'll use in future projects, and I think it looks like a finished piece of art to me lol This is one of those times. I _like_ the wrinkles ;)

Stevenson Q said...

That amazed me so much dear Erika! Seeing the black dye as I scroll, I kept guessing what it is that made it that deep dark beautiful shade, it never occured to me that those were due to cherries! Love it!

Barbara said...

These papers are so interesting! I haven’t done any Eco dyeing in ages, your post makes me miss it. Great results!

Mia said...

Wow! Your dyed paper is SUPER, Erika!!!!!!

Jeanie said...

Cherries? Who knew! It does explain why I had a black thumbnail through cherry season (not the whole thing, just the top part.) It's very cool!

craftytrog said...

Gorgeous effects Erika! xx

Iris Flavia said...

Did you use coal? Looks great!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can tell I've missed a post or several, so I'll go back and look when I'm through here. These eco dyed papers are wonderful. I enjoyed reading about how cherry pits interact with the rust. Reminds me of the interaction of tannin in green tea.

Mae Travels said...

I've wondered why cherry stains are blue not red. Usually this is a laundry problem, but it's neat to see it as an art challenge instead. Ditto rust!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Your paper looks good!

All the best Jan