Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Candle Holders and Winter Holidays

Hi everyone. 

Before I forget to mention it, I want to say thank you to those of you who helped me answer my question the other day about the candle holder. It's really lovely, and I think I like it better as it celebrates another religion. I do think it is a menorah, just not one for Hanukkah. I didn't know there were different types of menorahs. I read quite a bit about it yesterday after reading some comments, and the story behind the 7 branch menorah is lovely. I also learned that Kwanzaa  also has a similar candle holder. That was new to me also. It's only too bad my Mom isn't here to find out this information as she was always curious about the candle holder also. Smile.

I looked up photos online after seeing some for both holidays, and   I  found a very similar candle holder/menorah on an internet search. On Amazon of all places. Not exactly the same along the bottom, but very similar for certain.

And why I didn't do an internet search earlier, I'm not sure. 😣 My limited knowledge of many religions I guess. I do have some far back Jewish ancestors on my mother's side of the family according to our DNA tests, so perhaps that is why my great aunt received it from her husband's family in Sweden. It is a beautiful piece, and I'm glad I have it to put out over the holidays. I could leave it out also. 

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

 Next let me say Happy Winter Solstice! Or if you live south of the equator, happy summer solstice. My page today celebrates winter, so it may not work for anyone who is having summer.

 Tomorrow the days will start getting longer. Smile. I realize it does take awhile before it's even noticeable. 


Today my art journal page is for Jo's challenge at Art Journal Journey. Her challenge this month is Snowy Winter, and you probably already know that.

I started with a piece of black cardstock that I stenciled with some white paint. Then I added these 3 giant snowflakes. I found a package of them last winter at Hobby Lobby in their holiday markdowns for like 60 cents. Since they are light cardboard, I thought they might be useful. As you can see I added 3 to my page.

My background still didn't look complete so I used some sparkly blue spray ink to pull it all together. Then I added the cloth snowflake trim, the felt deer, the gold paper moon and the fox image that I cut off of a sheet of paper. Finally I added some tiny blue foamy snowflakes and the short but appropriate quote.

And lastly for today, I have a winter holiday tag for Michele's challenge at Tag Tuesday.


I found a piece of paper with a very traditional and large Santa face. I was first going to put him on a red painted tag, but then I found the small piece of music on some paper, so I thought that would work great with Santa. We all know the reindeer and his sleigh jingles as he flies along. I added some felt trim, some green (although it looks blue) metallic paper trim and also the metallic paper bells that I added some paint to.

My post today has became a little bit long again so let me stop here and  wish everyone a great middle of the week.




11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Happy Winter Solstice! Love that happy Santa face :-)

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Winter Solstice! I like your seasonal art. I feel the chilly and celebration vibe there :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your beautiful art today, and thanks for making a tag for Michele's challenge, much appreciated. Glad you researched the various candlesticks. I studied the philosophy of religions, and it was very fascinating. Then I taught Jewish religion for any years. Happy solstice to you! Hugs, Valerie

Neet said...

Happy Winter Solstice to you too.
I love that jolly Santa face on your tag, such a lovely backcloth too.
The piece for Jo's theme at AJJ is lovely and such a contrast to the tag, one in such warm colours and the other in the icy blues which reflect the very essence of winter. I always think white stencilling looks good on black card, there is something about the combination that looks great to me.
Hugs, Neet xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Erika, hope you are staying warm! What a lovely tag and page. I must be burned out, this time of the month is when I usally get a chance to do a page or spread but I'm too antsy about the front coming to even focus. Funny what we remember from years ago, my next door neighbors growing up were Swedish Lutherans, not Jews, BUT they had a candle holder almost identical to yours, on a table in their living room. I remember thinking it was a menorah for a long time, lol. Finally asked the mom and she gave me a lesson. She brought it from the old country and it's just a candle holder. Because of the winter solstice being so acute that far north, days are really short this time of year and they lit lots of candles (now most are electric). They may have borrowed the design from a menorah as you get a multi-candle bang for the buck. It merged into a Christmas tradition and people put them in their windows to decorate. I was going to comment on your prior post but by the time I finished reading, my plan flew right out my ear and I forgot. lol

Iris Flavia said...

OH!
Well, I know not much of my family. I´m like my Dad, I don´t even care.
And we never were religious, either. Dad had a Bible on display, though.

Yippeeeeeee... the days are already getting longer again? Great news!!! YOu made my day, honestly! I feel all better!

Love your page, so cute.
Plural, of course (as always I type as I read).

Wishing you a great and christmassy time, hugs!

Meggymay said...

Fantastic projects Erika. I send you and your family my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.
Yvonne xx

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh yeah, not just for Hanukkah. That’s so pretty. Easy to keep out year-round. Happy Winter Solstice to you!

Michele said...

i love your beautiful classic Sana tag, and i also enjoyed reading about your learnings about the candle holders! happy holidays to you and thank you for linking to tag tuesday! xo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was sure I had left a comment on your tag and journal page, but when the internet came back on, I see I hadn't left a comment. These are both wonderful and I love that you shared this with AJJ and Jo's theme.

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful Snowy Winter page and I'm glad you found out about the candle holder too 😊. Thanks so much for the AJJ inspiration and sending you happy wishes! Hugs x