Thursday, July 13, 2023

A Yummy Breakfast

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.

The week is getting close to  ending, and  of course rain is back into the forecast. Today it sounds like there will be more precipitation this evening with chances of passing storms, but parts of New Hampshire and sadly Vermont are back under a flood watch again. (The photos from Vermont and the flooding are terrible.) Rivers, streams and lakes are high, and west of me they are really high. Thanks to those of you who asked how it was  around my home. Monday when all the flooding happened there were only 2 counties not under a flood watch/warning, and I live in one of them, both in the Eastern part of New Hampshire up against the Maine border. And my daughter, who lives in the flood zone has so far been high and dry. 

Today I have a journal page today for Alison's Come Fly With Me challenge at Art Journal Journey. I know chickens aren't big flyers, but they definitely can get some lift off the ground.


This page is in the little travel journal I made from my weekend trip in May. I had gone to visit a friend of mine,and she and I spent the weekend in Charleston. 

There is a story behind this page. I had been telling my friend about when I was in Florida, and how I had visited a Waffle House restaurant assuming they would have chicken and waffles. (Of course the Waffle House restaurant didn't have this.) While  having dinner one night in Charleston, my friend ordered chicken, and I swear there  was so much on her plate it could have fed 4 people. She took it back to the hotel and put it in our room fridge. The next morning we made waffles at the freebie breakfast and had the rest of the chicken with them.

I first stamped my page with these bird footprints.  I then looked through my paper pile for something that would work for waffles. I found this tan graph style paper, and I cut out a random "waffle" shape.  I know when you made  waffles they should be square or round, but it never seems that they end up being perfectly shaped. Plus I like the odd shape artistically too.

I cut out the pat of butter from some yellow paper, and then I tried to figure out how to make the maple syrup. It worked on the edges of my waffle but I had a hard time getting the little pools that are made  in a waffle. To make the syrup I took some bronze metallic paint and watered it down. Then I stamped, colored and fussy cut the chickens and added them to my page.

Finally, I used some ancient stickers and a bit of writing to finish off my page.

I'll finish my post with some photos from last week's trip to my local botanical garden, Bedrock Gardens in Lee, New Hampshire. (Yesterday I visited a different botanical garden, and I'll have more to share about that another day.)


















Since it is Thursday, I'm also linking up to Rain's Art and Dinner Date.
Have a great day, and thanks for stopping by my blog.





23 comments:

Tom said...

...WOW, I need to put Bedrock Gardens on my ever growing to see list! Thanks for showing me around.

Harvee said...

Love your photographs of the outdoors and stone art.

Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Bedrock Gardens is a beautiful spot. If I lived close by I would be sure to visit. As for the amount of food some restaurants put on a plate I have no idea why they do it. My wife and I often split a meal and still have more than enough, and shake our heads in dismay at the amount of food wasted on plates going back from the tables. We were out for lunch recently with friends and the male of the other couple asked for "just a few" French fries. Half his plate was covered in them. Predictably they were not eaten and I am sure were scraped off into the bin. It is madness to treat food this way. Hugs - David

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy, here we heard nothing of the flooding over at your place - luckily. If we did it would be way worse...!
I´ll never get why some portions are so huge - can the quality be high then?
I have a waffle maker that makes hearts. We always had those, also my Grandma...
Hm. One thing to look forward to when summer is sadly done - I´ll make some hearty waffles (maybe I use chicken ;-)..)
You are right, maybe I can persuade Ingo to visit our botanical garden on the weekend - nice shots!
Hugs

CJ Kennedy said...

Glad to hear you and your daughter are dry. My SIL lives near Ludlow, VT one of the hard hit areas. Their driveway and road was washed away. They are hoping to be able to get out to attend the annual family gathering this weekend.

I'm surprised the Waffle House didn't have chicken and waffles. I thought that was a real Southern thing. Photos of the garden are really spectacular. I love the sculptures that are sprinkled through the garden.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you were also high and dry, Erika, as we were in Nashua, NH, but unfortunately VT was so badly hit. We also had friends in other states asking if we were doing OK and tole them yes and thanks. That said, we too have had weeks where it has rained at least 2-3 days and the Nashua River be low our apt is very high, but no danger to the mill building, at least we are on the 5th floor.

Too bad you were in Brunswick,ME, during the week and so missed. Visit to Frosty’s Donuts, which is only open weekends. That was the highlight of our short stay as Grenville was at a ham radio event. I went on an outing with the wife of another ham radio guy who wanted to shop at L.L. Bean in Freeport. Lucky for us there’s an outlet store in Nashua, where we shop😉

Christine said...

Lovely page and such peaceful beautiful gardens!

craftytrog said...

Another great page for my theme Erika, and I love the story behind it.
Lovely photos too.
I hope you and your daughter continue to stay safe from the floods.
Hugs,
Alison

Jeanie said...

Love that photo of the botanical blossoms. Beautiful. I'm glad you are OK -- I was thinking about that and also wondering how the bees do in the rain.

Gillena Cox said...

OMG the chicken waffles page made me smile😊
Luv it all.
Happy Thursday.

Much💜love

Valerie-Jael said...

TFS the wonderful photos, dear Erika, I would love to visit there! Glad you are not endangered by the flooding, and hope that all others stay safe, too. Love your journal page, I have a thing for chickens! Hugs, Valerie

ashok said...

Loved all the pics

Angie's Recipes said...

I love that botanical garden! The bird prints on the page is a genius design.

Carola Bartz said...

The photos I see from the flooding are truly awful. I hope you will stay safe and so does your daughter. Again we have a year with completely crazy weather. I guess this is our new "normal" and there is no one else to blame but ourselves.
I love the story behind your page! I have no idea why some restaurants put so much food on a plate, it is completely unnecessary. If you can take it home and use it, okay, but otherwise it will be just thrown away. Such a waste - and there are people who can't afford enough food for their families. Shameful.
Bedrock Gardens look lovely - that is a place I definitely would visit several times. How very beautiful.

Aimeslee Winans said...

It's times like these I wish there was a giant pipeline from up thar to down here - just funnel all that water to us! I've only been out to West Texas and Dallas both during really hot summers. This is so reminding me of Dallas where I watched someone literally cook an egg out on the sidewalk of our hotel one afternoon. Anyway, cute page and chicks. Always like the garden sculptures too. Hope you're not as sick of the rain as I am of this heat. XOX

The Padre said...

Talk About Totally Righteous - What A Fabulous Post - Enjoy The Weekend As Well

Cheers

hels said...

The green of your Botanical Gardens is absolutely lush. We never get that in Australia, even in the wet season.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Love your journal page and I have never thought of putting chicken together with my waffles ... something new to try :) So, I have to ask ... what is "fussy cut" ?
Your Botanical Gardens are lovely and I love the all the various pieces of artwork worked into them. We have a very large and beautiful Botanical Gardens here in Chicago. I haven't been in several years, but I think I will be going soon. I will share pictures from there so you can see. Looking forward to seeing your different Botanical Garden.
We are finally getting some rain here and our grass is starting to look green again. I was so sorry when I heard about the floods in New Hampshire and yes, the pictures on the news were terrifying. I am glad to know that you and your daughter are both still high and dry. Fingers crossed it stays that way :) Stay safe, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

pearshapedcrafting said...

I have only ever seen sweet waffles but I do love these cute chickens with your waffle. The photos are wonderful! Hugs, Chrisx

Lowcarb team member said...

Bedrock Gardens certainly looks a lovely place to visit.

All the best Jan

Elkes Lebensglück said...

very pretty page and beautiful garden photos!
Happy sunday, hug Elke

NatureFootstep said...

wow, I would love to visit that garden :)

Neet said...

Never heard of chicken and waffles. Great idea though to save the surplus chicken for breakfast.
Love the page you did to commemorate the above.

Those gardens look interesting, I so enjoy seeing where you get to.
Hugs Neet xx