Sunday, July 30, 2023

Sunday Art

 Hi everyone. Happy Sunday. I hope your weekend is going well.

The weather has finally changed so goodbye to high temperatures and high humidity. Today is supposed to be quite comfortable. And so are the next several days too. Hurrah! I am finally going to turn off the AC that has been running straight since late June. And I am going to open the windows. It's about time. It will be nice not to have to constantly  turn up the AC and turn  down  the AC  during the day to try to keep the temperature as low as possible without just running the AC constantly on cold.  I can tell you my wallet is as excited as I am about the change in the weather 😏-smile.

Today I am sharing my last page for Alison's Come Fly with Me challenge at Art Journal Journey.  I've enjoyed this challenge, and I really wish the month hadn't become so busy for me. If I'd had more art time I would have tried out a few ideas that are still rolling around in my brain.  😀


I hadn't done any dragonfly pages for this challenge, so since this is just about the end of July, let me change that before it is too late.

I made my page by inking a page in a bound journal (that is so full I can't flatten the pages out as you can see on the right hand side of the photo).  I painted the clouds and outlined them with a  water based pencil. I used just a bit of water on the pencil line to get that lovely shadowy look. Then I added 3 Art By Marlene punch out dragonflies.  I also stamped this ancient Michele Ward/ Stampers Anonymous image 3 times. Finally I added the quote by stamping it on some white paper and adding it to my page. 

 And before I might be remiss, let me thank Alison for this really fun challenge at AJJ and also for hosting. Thank you so much for joining us. I also want to thank everyone who joined in also. Like every month, it is really fascinating to see how people approach the challenge. Thank you all for all the inspiration. 

Of course there's still a little bit of time to join this challenge before the month is over.  If you should be interested that is. Otherwise have a great rest of your weekend. I hope it's not too hot or too stormy.

Today I also want to share a tag for Valerie's Books challenge at Tag Tuesday .  I've started working on an Iceland travel journal with all the bits and pieces I brought home, and this tag will eventually go into the journal.


Iceland history is full of stories of trolls and little people. This image comes from a playing card. And the book page is in Icelandic. At one of the hotels (where we stayed) they had a shelf with books you could borrow, take or switch out.  One of them was in really tough reading shape, so I borrowed it. OK, so it won't get returned, but it is being put to good use. 😉

I covered my tag with book paper, added the playing card image, and added the title, which I cut from the map which I was given when I visited the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens a few weeks back. Then I added 2 different washi tapes and used a brown paint pen. Finally I added some brown and black  art "dots" to finish off the tag.

And finally, I am linking my entire post up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles.

That's it for me today. We're going out in my husband's boat because the rest of this weekend has been too hot or too stormy. I'm excited because the tall ships will be docked in Portsmouth, and we can cruise by them to see what sip is visiting this year.  Thanks  for stopping by my blog. 


20 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Dragonflies to begin and trolls to finish is an interesting combination, Erika. I just read an op ed on two trolls. I won’t give you their names but a I bet you can guess. One specializes in deception and untruth and is adept at stealing classified documents, and the other says that slaves were really quite jolly and learned useful trades, and you shouldn’t read terrible books like “To Kill a Mockingbird.” The scary thing is that one of these trolls might come out from under the bridge to govern your country. As far as I know a huge army of Democrats voting is the best way of winning that battle, so let’s hope they are ready to fight the good fight. Hugs - David

Angie's Recipes said...

I just want to bug you...I love dragonflies. The page is kinda sweet and cute.

Tom said...

...some bugs bug me while other don't, I like your dragonflies.

CJ Kennedy said...

Book page and tag are wonderful. Love the image of the troll. You took a poor, broken-down book and elevated it to art. With the thunderstorms and high winds, there's been no bugs around. I did see some dragonflies earlier in the month. Enjoy your day on the boat as it sounds like perfect weather.

Christine said...

Lovely page and tag!

DVArtist said...

I just wanted to bug you is brilliant. However, you know how much I love that TAG. Witchy and Trolly and full of magic. Have a nice day.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow! dragonflies and clouds amazing combination.
Your tag made me smile😊
Thank you for linking to Sunday Smiles today.
Much💜love

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your journl page for Alison's challenge, and the tag with trolls is fantastic. I like what David wrote about the trolls, too. I have been resting and at home all weekend, and hope I will get something done for next week's challenges. Have a great Sunsay, hugs, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful art. I hope you've been okay with the thunderstorms that have been going through over the past few weeks.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun and wonderful way to end this month, Erika. I had a bee and a dragonfly image, but found no time to do anything with them. I absolutely adore your entry for AJJ using Alison's theme. Amazing that the trolls are also relatable to Iceland. That was news to me. And of course, it's a great tag, too.

kathyinozarks said...

good morning, I love your art today Erika, especially the dragonflies
The hot humid days have not broke for us yet-I think I saw rain in the forecast. the temps are high 80's today instead of near 100 but the humidity has not left as of yet. oh well this is one of those hot Missouri summers
enjoy the cooler weather-hugs Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

We're still having high heat and high humidity and have broken records for July rain amounts.

Love your trolls. We don't have any here.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I also like dragon flies. Hubby and I went for a trip in Mountain and seen quite a few dragon flies.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Aimeslee Winans said...

What pretty dragonfly punch outs! And I love your troll tag. I'm happy someone is seeing lower temps in the daytime than we get at night, lol. I belong to a local online Neighborhood chat group and a few of the newer subdivisions are seeing their sidewalks sink and crack. They're supposed to start our gas meter and generator install this next week. I'm just praying they finish before we get a hurricane. What's going on with that Invest 97L on the lower east coast? WEird! XOX

Iris Flavia said...

I´m off in a minute to... buy a jacket for the wedding on Friday. It´s still way too cold here and it´s likely all August will be. So windy empty containers are blown onto the street. Yuck.

Love your bugging :-)
And the tag came out great, too - hugs and enjoy your boat-adventures!

Jeanie said...

So interesting about the trolls and Iceland. Love your tag. And delighted that your weather has finally broken and you get a little relief. You have to be over the moon on that one!

nwilliams6 said...

Love your humorous and fun bug page, Erika. Fun idea! The troll is even more fun. Love you used a book from your trip and that totally cool troll image!!! Hugz

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful journal page and the tag is fantastic!
Happy day, hug Elke

craftytrog said...

A beautiful final page for my theme Erika! I love the dragonflies and that wonderful quote.
Great tag too! That's a very scary troll.
Alison

pinky said...

Oh Erika that is one brilliant take on Valerie's challenge. Absolutely brilliant tag. As for AC, we are in mid summer and would need the heating on! It has rained here from the 1st July with barely an hour of dry weather each day!! We have ruined this earth unfortunately and now paying the price.