Sunday, September 10, 2023

More from Iceland

Hi everyone. Happy Sunday to you. I'm having a quiet low-key weekend. How about you?

Today I have a spread from my Iceland travel journal to share.  I actually photographed this spread in 2 separate images,  because for one thing, these pages in my journal don't want to lay flat. I also thought because the second page needs a bit of explaining it would be better to show the pages separately.


The overall general theme is birds. This first page mostly uses some old postage stamps that I had from 2016 when I went on my first Iceland trip. The stamp down on the bottom right is one I picked up on my most recent trip. 

The next page ties in with birds, sort of. I added the white candy wrapper image because not only did I enjoy that candy but they reminded me of bird's eggs.  Well maybe not if you broke them open. grin. The red-throated loon (or diver) is  cut out of a brochure and was a new-to-me bird that I saw.



I also added in a little journaling tag. This tag is taped in between the 2 pages. On the back I wrote about some of the birds I saw but did not have stamps to share. The bird on that taped-in-tag is NOT a bird I saw in Iceland but I liked it and it's size so I added it.

You can see the book paper (Icelandic writing) on both pages. I attached the gas receipt because it was interesting with all the different numbers that showed up on it, and also because the paper was so thick compared to what we usually get in my area. Does it fit in with birds? Not really, but whenever we made a snack purchase we did get receipts so it does tie into my page. And even if it doesn't  tie in, it looks good on the page. grin
I also added the girl. She was  on a brochure I picked up on my trip to Charleston, SC in May, but I thought she looked like she could be in Iceland with that scarf she is wearing.

Since I have those book pages, I am linking up to Elle's Books, Cat and Tea challenge at Art Journal Journey.

Today I also have some more Iceland photos to share. Sorry for you ornithologists out there, these are not bird photos. But  if you like stunning vistas along the ocean, these photos are probably for you.









I'm also linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles.
That's all for me today. Have a great rest of your weekend. 







19 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

You are so creative making those pages. I really love those postages of different birds.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful pages - and pictures!
Sometimes I am "sad" I don´t like sweets (much). A post on licorice is in the planning though (since... weeks???)
And birds.. just the fat doves...

The lonely little house... beautiful.
Hugs and to a great Sunday (warm here, heading to "hot").

R's Rue said...

I’d love to visit. So beautiful. Have a great Sunday my friend. Hugs.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

ashok said...

Amazing place. I loved the red roof house picture.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your stamps. Happy Sunday. Thank you for linking to Sunday Smiles

Much🖤love

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Such a beautiful place

Hels said...

There is no snow or ice in the photos, so what month of the year did you take them? The photos into the distance look epic.

Tom said...

...I love the smal church and cemetery. It's nice to see that the landscape crew was taking care of the grass. Have a wonderful Sunday.

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful journal pages to remember your trips. The photos are beautiful. So rugged. It's funny to think that Iceland has not ice and Greenland isn't green. More thunderstorms today. We got some pretty good ones on Friday. You?

Rostrose said...

Dear Erika,
that's a wonderful page, it's full of memories of your trip - I like the combination of the book page and the stamps and cut-out pictures including gas receipt and candy wrappers - and whether something fits with something else is up to YOU anyway!
I'm very happy about your photos - the landscape in Iceland is something very special and the pictures bring back beautiful memories for me.
Enjoy the late summer days! (Edi and I would like to too, but we got a bad infection 🤧😷🤒...)
All the best, Traude
🌺🪶🍂 🪶🌺
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/09/die-kunstvollsten-schulklassen-der-welt.html

Rostrose said...

PS: You asked me, what we ate in Berndorf: Our lunch was breaded chicken 😊😋

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos, I would like to visit Iceland. It shouldn't be so hot there, either! Your journal pages are great, you always have wonderful ideas. Hugs, Valerie

Empire of the Cat said...

Thanks for sharing the Iceland photos Erika, it's a beautiful place. I really enjoyed your journal pages too, love the composition especially. Those bird stamps I love too, never seen them before and they look great on the page. And the receipt! Good idea to add a journalling tag too. Hope your weekend has been good and you and Maddie got lots of cuddles. Thanks for joining me for the Books, Cats & Tea September theme at Art Journal Journey this month. Happy Journalling! Elle xx

Lowcarb team member said...

We enjoyed our weekend.
Saturday was hot, Sunday cooler and we spent time with family ... always lovely to do.

Beautiful photographs from Iceland.

Hope the new week will be a good one for you.

All the best Jan

peppylady (Dora) said...

Enjoy your trip.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well, Erika, your trip journals are slowly filling up and that's a good thing working on them while memories are still fresh. Lovely stamps and I learned a new word, fugl. I sure hope I am wrong but I'm a little worried that Hurricane Lee is going to pay you a visit! Might be time to get that generator out and ready. Hugs for a good week, xoxo

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful journalpage and fabulous interesting photos!
Hug Elke

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Postage stamps always make great journal pages. I like the book and map background, too.

I really like your second page with all the collage elements. The fuel receipt was SO very different from what we get here in the states. I can see why you would want to include it somewhere on your page or somewhere in your Iceland journal. I like how you added the journaling tag. It was clever and added area and interest, too. Thanks for this great spread for Elle's theme at AJJ.

Your photos show how desolate and stunning the Ring Road is. Your ocean views are truly magical. So very glad you shared them with us. I can never get too much of your Iceland trip.

Neet said...

It was a hot week here in the UK and in a way I was happy for it to break over the weekend.
Loved seeing the Icelandic photos, what a holiday that must have been. Very dramatic scenery.
Your journal page is a great idea, with so many reminders of the trip and I love how you have gathered all those bird postage stamps and uksed them on the first page.
Hugs, Neet xx