Friday, September 22, 2023

Some Faces in my Iceland Journal

 Hi everyone. Happy almost the weekend to you. 

And before I go further, thank you for all your stories about my journal page yesterday, I loved everything that happened to Marnie. And I especially loved how everyone had their own stories, which makes the post so much more interesting. I hope Marnie ate a lot of yummy treats, didn't spill tea on her gown, successfully delivered the baby and saved the mother too.  And if she is waiting, I hope the time flies by for her, but that she does have enough time to drink her tea.

Today for Nicole's Friday Face Off  and Gillena's Friday Lunch Break .   I have some pages from my Iceland travel journal for you. I always bring home bits and pieces that I pick up along the way during any trip I take.  Then when I get home I make a junk style journal with those bits and pieces. It's a lot of fun to do, and I also find it helps me not only firm up the highlights from the trip, but keys in on some details that can easily  be overlooked in my memories of a  journey.

Here are some pages with faces for you. This first page commemorates me finally being able to see wild reindeer/caribou. I say finally because when I've been to places where reindeer/caribou are found, I've never managed to see any. Until Iceland that is.


I'm  a knitter, and  Iceland is known for a particular sweater style.  Of course I had to make a page about that. 😏The pieces of yarn stapled in the right hand corner are the colors of the skeins I bought and which I am knitting with now.  


On this next page is a piece of a photo I took that I used in the background, as well as a  vintage woman in National costume. This lady was cut out of a postcard I bought.


Just to show you how I use all kinds of ephemera to make a page, this page has a lot of paper "junk" that I picked up in various places, not just on my trip back in June.


It started with a postcard that was made to announce a class in paper marbling  that I picked up  after my trip. I also added a bit of painted tissue, but it's hard to see the silver paint on it in this photo. The colors  reminded me of Iceland; these were the first things I put down on my page. I then added the hotel room key holder from Iceland.  I put all the blue paint pen dots on it. I also glued down  the metal number one because this was my favorite hotel during the trip. I added a Tim Holtz craft supply person sitting on the top of the hotel key holder.

The photo below shows  the inside when you open up the hotel key holder. I added a little journal card note in the key holder, and I also glued down a piece of a map from a travel brochure to show where we were. Finally I used some thin  washi tape along the top. To the right you can see a card I picked up at a different hotel, but I haven't yet completed that page in my journal.


I have made a  few trip photo books with some photos I took, and one of the books arrived defective. I called the company where I had them made, and they sent me a new book. Now I have my defective book that I can  chop up.  That's where the photos on this next page come from.


And finally, here's a page I am not sure is finished or not. I finished the background, and then I added this cool sheep postcard I picked up. Underneath I added some Bingo pieces that came from a game my daughter had as a child. These pieces were still attached to their plastic strip holder, but I like how they look.


What else I'll do with this page, I'm not certain. Perhaps I'll just leave it as it is. 

That's probably more than enough for today. Enjoy the start to your weekend.


14 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

So many fun pages! I love that reindeer the most.

Tom said...

...the sweater is beautiful.

Christine said...

Enjoyed today's pages!

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, the stories made your last post extra-special :-)
And I so agree, with all the snippets you do not forget about "the little things"!
Love the "Dave´s excited!"-page.
This was fun, have a great start to the weekend, hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These are amazing. I also grab any and everything I can keep for fodder when I travel. I adore all your pages. I love the caribou, the sheep, and Dave's excitement. What fabulous pages with memories of Iceland.

Gillena Cox said...

Interedting paged Erika
Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday
Much🖤love

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is one of my dreams to see Caribou, but I am not sure it will ever get realized. A fellow I knew years ago travelled to Northern Québec to see the Ungava herd and it rumbled past him for two straight days, so great were their numbers. This fellow was a world traveller and had seen many natural spectacles, and he said this rivalled any of them. I am sure it did. Hugs - David

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, sorry I missed this, just found it. Your journal is lovely, you saw so many wonderful things, even a caribou - wow! Hugs, Valerie

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderfully creative journal about Iceland trip ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DVArtist said...

I truly love this post. So many amazing pieces of art. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a nice weekend.

Gene Black said...

A friend of mine was recently in Iceland. I should have asked her to bring me a skein of yarn!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great art journal pages.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great art journal pages.

Divers and Sundry said...

Such a great way to remember travels. I don't have a bucket list, but that sight would be exciting even so :)