Thursday, November 2, 2023

Second on the Second

 Hi everyone.  It's the second of the month and time for Second on the Second over at Bleubeard's and Elizabeth's blog . All you need to do is repost something you've posted before.

Here's a page from November of 2017. I picked a nature themed page since this month Jo's theme at Art Journal Journey is Nature. I also picked this particular page because here in the northern hemisphere our days are getting to be more about dark nights than long days.  Plus I love the owl. 

The original link up is here On Wildlife Art.


The other morning there was ice on the dog's outside water dish. The last couple of nights it's been down to 29 degrees F or -1.7 degrees C. Brr. Frost is on the pumpkin (as the saying goes) for certain. At least with these dark and  chilly mornings sleeping in an extra hour is a nice treat. 😏

And here's a new autumn page for Jo's Nature challenge over at Art Journal Journey. This page is inspired by all of the leaves falling off the trees in my area right now.


I began by using some blue and pink watercolor paints to create my background. Then I stamped a lot of falling leaves and colored them with markers.  After that I die cut the tree and fox from an old  die set.   I also used a few other older dies and cut out the leaves and the acorn. Finally I used an old die set from Spellbinders and cut out the tag as well as the large textured maple leaf.

I inked the tree and the tag to color them. One leaf and the acorn were colored in with markers. I used markers and a white pen on Mr. Fox.  I also used an orange paint pen around the edge of the tag.


Finally I added a bit of bronze colored metallic paper trim at the bottom of the tree, and I stamped the quote.

And here's a few photos from my yard that were the inspiration for my latest journal page.




The warm weather we had last week gave my brussel sprouts (the only thing left growing in my garden) a boost in size.


I hope they get a little bit bigger before I need to pick them.

Thanks for visiting.


14 comments:

Tom said...

...enjoy your colors before they turn to white.

Jeanie said...

Oh Erika, seeing your Brussels sprouts reminds me of when Rick grew them and boy, were they good and fun to get straight from the vine. I hope they get bigger but even if they don't they will be delicious.

sirkkis said...

Wow, excitement and fun! The both illustration well tell the variety of autumn.
We must live on the same latitude of the globe: we had a very long warm period, and then very cold period came and is still. Even snowing here in southern costal area!
I'm wishing you Erika inspirational, happy November ahead xx

Angie's Recipes said...

That autumn page looks really elegant and nice. The colours blend so well together. I love brussel sprouts (with bacon and pecans), but they are the worst for my tummy..just one piece, and I would have a stomach ache whole effing day!

Divers and Sundry said...

The long dark nights are set to begin earlier this weekend. It'll be dark by 5 :( You've got such gorgeous color!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pages wonderful textures. Enjoyed the photos too. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Loely autumn pages. The first one with the owl in the dark night is fantastic! And so is the piece with the falling leaess for Jo. Lots of leaves are fluttering down here, too, it's very stormy today. Good weather to stay home and play! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love your second look, Erika. The journal page has a dark and moody feel. It's a perfect entry for your second look on the 2nd.

Wow. I love the latest entry you created for Jo';s theme at AJJ. I really like how you incorporated the tree and the leaves with the tag at the top. It certainly speaks to Jo's Nature theme at AJJ.

Your world is truly showing signs of autumn. How awesome to live in an area where the trees turn lovely colors every year.

Gillena Cox said...

Bravo for your Brussel Sprouts. Your nature page is vibrant with your seasonal tones.

Much🖤love

Stevenson Q said...

Dear Erika these are gorgeous arts made by you that you shared! And also those beautiful tree leaves! I was so excited to see Autumn while in Spain because it's my first year to live in a country with four seasons but sadly, Autumn is not colorful here, still a little lower on the latitude I guess haha But thanks for sharing your colorful foliage! At least through here I got to experience it!

Aimeslee Winans said...

I love that night spread and a lovely ode to the leaves page. We never get the white or red leaves. Hope your brussel sprouts cooperate. I love them grilled. xoxo

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous pages! I'm loving your autumnal page with the little fox, so adorable ❤️. All the autumn leaves and photos are beautiful too. Wow, great to have brussel sprouts growing in your garden - amazing.Thanks so much for the inspiration over at AJJ! Hugs, Jo x

craftytrog said...

Two beautiful pages Erika! The trees around here have lost a lot of their leaves lately due to strong winds and heavy rain.
Happy November!
Alison

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love your new 'Nature' page. You definitely have some good inspiration around you! Hugs, Chrisx