Wednesday, November 1, 2023

It's November

Hi everyone. Happy November. 

I like November, even if we are getting closer to snow. Here in New Hampshire we may even have some before this month wraps up.  😟 

At  least for me, after a busy October, November is always a nice time to let out a big breath and relax a bit before December and the end of the year rolls around.   Of course it's easy to do that as it gets dark so early here in the Northern Hemisphere  now too. At my house it's  dark by 6 in the evening since sunset is  a little after 5:30, and after the clock change this upcoming weekend that will mean it's dark by 5. It's time to settle in for a long winter's nap I think. 💤 Smile.

Since it's a new month, it is  time to thank Neet for hosting at Art Journal Journey. October’s In Gear challenge was fun. I also want to thank everyone who joined us for this challenge. It was really interesting to see all the clever uses of gears.

It is time for a new challenge, and this month I want to welcome the very talented ,Jo who you most likely know from her blog Let's Art Journal. This month Jo has selected a theme of

NATURE

You can read what Jo says about her topic over at AJJ, but in a nutshell, the nature she wants you to use is that of the natural world around us.

Here's my first page for this challenge.


I started by using a magazine paper as my base. Then I stamped the branches. I debated whether to go with late autumn colors or early autumn colors for the leaves, and I ended up deciding to stick with early autumn. The birds were a piece of Dina Wakely printed tissue paper. That tissue paper  is a bit too thick for covering over things as it leaves obvious edge lines. To cover those up,  I sponged a bit of blue paint around my page. That meant I had to use a black Sharpie to color over where all the birds were so they would  show up. 👍


I finished with a piece of washi tape at the bottom, which I promptly covered over with some red paper scraps. Then I added the white lace paper trim and some blue little paper pearls. Finally, I finished with the quote as well as a little black Sharpie grassline just above the border. 

Just a reminder of our dreaded rules. Remember we only accept art journaling at Art Journal Journey. That means no cards, tags, atcs etc. However, your art journaling can be made in any way as long as it fits our challenge theme.

Nature offers so much beauty, and I hope you are inspired by some of it to join us at AJJ.  I'm excited to see what people create, and so I hope  you’ll join Jo's challenge. 




 

21 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You certainly put a lot of thought and effort into this first entry. I especially like how you treated the birds. Thanks for this beauty you have given us using Jo's Nature theme at Art Journal Journey.

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful page Erika, oh for blue skies again!November always means dark nights and grey skies and we're due another storm tonight . Avril xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika! Love your beautiful page with the leaves and birds! Have a great November with lots of time for arting, reading, baking and napping! Hugs!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Very nice nature page, Erika. Happy November! xoxo

Neet said...

I love blue and green together - and mixed to give a teal colour - so I am glad you did not go with the later autumn colours for your leaves. Plenty of time for that during the month.
This year it seems to be later than usual that the leaves are beginning to turn where we are and in some areas there is still a lot of green.
You cannot see the join with the tissue paper so you did a fabulous job of covering it up, to me it is seamless.
Love the washi tape at the base and the lace with those little pearls.
A great journal page as always.
Hugs, Neet xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love how you captured early autumn with the tree branches and are those blueberries that I see - you are taking me back to my visits to Maine and New Hampshire ❤️. Loving how you captured nature with the birds too - perfect! Take care and thanks for having me as Guest Host this month! Hugs, Jo x

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Nature is the beauty we are collectively working hard to destroy, so any celebration of it is a good thing. It might even remind one or two people it’s worth cherishing and preserving. Not likely, but it might. Hugs - David

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the design and the colours. It's very beautiful!

Iris Flavia said...

This is some happy page! The sky looks just like that here today - minus the birds, of course.
Great start for a new month - hopefully without snow.... hugs

Tom said...

...wonderful words to start this snowy day.

CJ Kennedy said...

Pretty page. I especially like the birds. I think the geese are long gone South. And most of the leaves have gone South (to the ground) too. Enjoy your day!

Divers and Sundry said...

We get some birds come during the winter. I'm thinking we'll be seeing juncos any day now.

Jeanie said...

Lovely piece, Erika. I filled the feeders the other day and the birds are back. Lizzie is happy.

Gillena Cox said...

Lovely journal page Erika
Thanks for dropping by my blog
Much🖤love

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is a fabulous page Erika- in between rain showers we have had some lovely blue skies. Your birds remind me of the geese and ducks we have seen flying in formation in the evening. A fantastic Nature page for Jo's theme, Hugs, Chrisx

Christine said...

Lovely page!

Birgit said...

This is really pretty. Peaceful and inspiring

lichazul said...

Absoluty gorgeous page☺️💐 congrats, have a great weekend

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A very mindful page seeing the birds flying so free in the background. A wonderful thing is nature we all need to do our bit to protect it.
I hope you get to spend some cosy nights indoors in the darker nights, the clock change always brings new challenges in my world of care duties sadly :(
Happy creative November Hugs Tracey xx

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Lovely journal entry!

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Erika, I love this new topic
Hugs
Alison