Sunday, November 12, 2023

Time to Put the Bees to Bed

 Hi everyone. Happy Sunday. I hope you are having a lovely weekend so far. My daughter came to visit Friday morning and left yesterday (Saturday). It was a fun visit, and she said she might even be coming for Thanksgiving. That would be nice if she does. 

Since it's November, it is time to wrap up many autumn chores. One of those chores is to close up my beehive for the winter. I'll explain more about that further down in the post, but first here's a bee themed page from my Bee Journal that I am linking up to Jo's Nature challenge at Art Journal Journey.


I used 2 shades of yellow watercolor paint to make my background. Then I used a scrap of printed paper to make the leaves and flowers. The clouds are stamped, and I used some white paint bobs on them, thinning the paint enough to keep the stamped design visible. I also stamped the sun and used yellow Stickles glitter glue. Finally I took some cheesecloth to make the ground. It is NOT supposed to be white for snow, just for texture.  Then I used some orange watercolor paint and splattered my page.

Don't you get a kick out of those little Victorian style bee stickers? I also used a scrabble tile. I picked the B for obvious reasons.

In the autumn I need to insulate the beehive against the cold. Short of adding a heater inside (which I have thought about), I'm trying to keep those occasional really cold winter days from killing my bees-again. Sadly the Canadian variety, which is supposedly excellent  in the kind of cold we get here in New Hampshire, arrived back in May mostly dead with not enough of the bees alive to keep the colony going. Now I am dealing with just my southern bees, and I am not holding out a lot of hope they will make it.  But I am not giving up on them either.


I've wrapped the hive using 2 bee insulated jackets on the outside, as you can see. The jackets are vinyl and filled with insulation. I also did some raking and bagged the leaves to insulate around the bottom. Actually a couple of the bags are from last year, and a few are from this year, and when I go out and rake more of my garden I will add a few more bags. The top hive box, which you can't see in the photos as it is covered by the bee blankets,  is a winter top with 6 inches of insulation. Sadly I'm not sure this is going to be enough to get them through the severe winter days however.

It's certainly not pretty, is it?


When I added these insulating bits last weekend, a lot of the bees came out to see what I was doing to their hive. And being curious creatures, they had to check it out. Before I kept bees I never thought of insects as being so interactive with their environment. 😏

Honey bees need to keep the inside of the hive quite warm year round. If they can't maintain the heat, then they can no longer flap their wings to create more heat. What I'm really trying to do is help insulate the hive to keep the heat that honey bees create  inside of the hive. If the inner hive temperature can stay warm, then the bees should make it through the winter.


The brown rectangles in this above photo are made with a substance called propelis, which is a sticky material the bees make. They bind it to everything, so if I go into the hive I actually need to pry pieces apart. I haven't gone deep into the hive since it's cooled off because the other thing the propelis does is seal up any cracks. I've wanted their cracks to be as sealed as possible for winter's cold.

The other interesting thing about bees in winter is that the young born in the fall are physiologically different from those born in the warmer weather. They can live longer and put up with the cold much better. Depending on your variety of bees, that determines  how much cold these winter bees can stand. 

I'm hoping to add one more wind breaking wrap that I'm still waiting for it to be delivered, and we still have a windbreak shelter to put up. 

I'm also linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles .

Enjoy whatever is left to your weekend or start of the new week.


20 comments:

Tom said...

...I hope that they will have a long and safe winter nap.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Indeed, time to put the bees to bed for the cold season ahead. I hope you had a productive year with lots of honey. I hope that winter survival is good.

Gillena Cox said...

OMG you art is so fun today. You made me smile
Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles
Much🖤love

P.S.
Divali is the festival of lights when tiny lamps (deyas) are lit. Holi is the festival when the coloured powders are thrown.

CJ Kennedy said...

Hopefully, we won't have a brutally cold Winter. I hope the bees will be snug and cozy inside the hive.

Christine said...

Good luck to the bees! Pretty page.

Angie's Recipes said...

The page looks so lovely, I love those bees stickers.
Finger crossed that the bees make it through the winter!

Food Blogger said...

Hopefully they will enjoy the winter.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your putting the bees to bed page, so pretty! And you have put a lot of work into insulating the hives, I hope they will all survive. Take care of yourself, too! Now I'm off to bed! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I am sure hoping your bees will make it this winter-what if it warms up? do you take the covers off so they don't get too warm?
Loved your bee journal page to
Happy new week ahead hugs Kathy

Iris Flavia said...

Great page, those bees are very stylish-cute!
I never thought of bees like this! Curious! I always freaked when a bee (or even worse wasp) got near.
Also thanks to you I just keep quiet now and don´t move or slowly go away.
Fingers and toes crossed the bees make it!
P.S. I missed the game yesterday - there was no advertisement what so ever! Buhuu... Please do not tell me Braunschweig was in! I will not check on this, other I´d bite my knee.
Hugs! And to a great news week, hopefully not too cold.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Is that a page for your bee journal? Or is it a page in your new mixed media journal? It's lovely and reminds me of springtime. The cheesecloth is cool and not once did I think snow. Yes, those Victorian bees are a hoot.
Ah, I am glad you have a windbreak shelter for your bees. I was looking at the photos and thinking, too bad you don't have a cone-shaped igloo to encase it all in. You could just surround the entire bee house with it. I know some dog houses are like that, but don't know if they make them that big. When we had our doxies who lived outside, we had daughter's old Little Tykes playhouse they lived in on the back porch. I'm rooting for those Southern bees, we are tough and used to making it on our own.
So glad you had a good visit with your daughter. Ours is coming in 2 weeks, cannot wait! xoxo

Jeanie said...

I find your beekeeping absolutely fascinating and I hope they make it. I wish more than anything that you could get that little heater. I guess the question is would it be more expensive to buy the heater than to buy new bees every year. I know nothing about those things. But I just hope they make it. It's a lot of work but oh, so wonderful.

Very happy about your daughter's visit. I hope it works for TG!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Insulating the hives for New England winter weather is quite a process as you have detailed here, Erika. I hope that some of the 🐝 will make it thanks to your efforts.

R's Rue said...

Time for the bees to rest. Enjoy your day.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Matilde said...

Beautiful page! I lije especially these funny clouds 😄

Divers and Sundry said...

What a shame about the cold-tolerant bees. I hope your Southern bees make it. You're certainly going all out to make sure they do!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your journal page is brilliant. A perfect addition to your bee hive story. Thanks for sharing this at Art Journal Journey using Jo's nature theme.

Sad about the northern bees. I hope the southern ones make it with your help and insulation,

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! It captures the end of summer beautifully with the muted colours and images 😊. Fingers crossed for your bees, they should be cosy and snug with all that insulation. Thanks so much for inspiring us at AJJ! Happy wishes ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

Neet said...

What a fabulous page for your bee journal. m I love the yellow background you did and the white clouds plus the flowers and grasses. but the bees - they are absolutely adorable. I fell in love with them as soon a I saw them.
Your information about the bees and what you have had to do and why for the winter is most interesting. How funny that they came to see what you were up to. I do hope that you manage to keep them alive. I guess there is no way of knowing how things are going with them until you open up next spring/summer. A worrying time when you open up I guess.
Hugs, Neet xx
ps I read somewhere of a large swarm of bees being on some hedgerow and children had been throwing water at them. It was educating/appealing to the public to get in touch with a bee keeper if they saw anything like that as so many of the bees had died as a result. It seemed awfully sad to read this and hear about the state of the bees. I am sure you will feel the same.
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I hope your bees feel cosy in there and spend a happy Winter! I love the bee page you made, those bees are definitely happy, a great page for Jo's AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx