Hi everyone. I really don't know what happened to August, but we're in the last few days of the month. Since this is my month to host over at Art Journal Journey, I want to squeeze in a few more posts for that challenge.
Today's journal page is one I particularly like. As you probably know by now my theme is In The Good Old Summertime.
I made a simple background of light blue painted lines. The line background is kind of a theme I have on several pages throughout this journal. Then I cut out this picture from the Ciao Bella Rivera book I've been using on a lot of pages. It looks like a lovely morning or evening coffee or tea, doesn't it? Sitting outside and enjoying a drink is definitely one of summer's little pleasures.
The two little potted trees and the branch on the left are stickers from this book. To finish the branch I added some sniped off flowers from a yellow flower trim and then put a flat yellow bead in the center of each. The quote is from an Andy Skinner set by Paper Artsy, but I think it works perfectly here.
Yesterday Denise over at An English Girl Rambles from 2016 to... shared a great photo of a milkweed tussock moth caterpillar. I mentioned to her that I had recently noticed a lot of little ones on a milkweed plant in my yard.
Here's the cluster yesterday.
I've never seen so many in one place so I'm wondering if a whole batch of eggs hatched on the underside of this leaf. I did notice yesterday that the top of that plant is missing all its leaves, so I'm guessing they've eaten them. I didn't know all that much about this caterpillar except that it feeds on the milkweed leaves so I did some research.
The moths are a favorite food of bats, BUT, they give off an ultrasonic sound to keep the bats away. That is good, because since the moths were once these caterpillars, and like monarch butterfly caterpillars, fed on the milkweed. That means they contain cardiac glycosides, which are poisonous to animals who then try to eat them. When these little guys molt into their final flying stage, the cardiac glycosides has stayed with them, thus protecting them as adults.
Here's a couple of photos I "borrowed" from the internet showing the adult moths.
When their wings are closed, they aren't really much to look at, are they? But I like how they look with wings fully opened.
Here's a link to a gardening article that I read that I thought was interesting: Milkweed Tussock Moth if you'd like to know more about these creepy crawlies.
That's all for me today. Hope you have or are having a good one.


11 comments:
The whole the cluster of moth caterpillars gives me goosebumps :-//// The page looks very beautiful!
...Milkweed Tussock Moth is new for me, but I nevr cared for entomology.
Those tussock moths are quite interesting, but also so destructive to the milkweed plant. Their defense mechanism was fascinating to read about both here and on Denise’s post. I can’t recall ever seeing one before and now have seen more than enough!
I love the simplicity of your journal page. It really does give a summer vibe. Fascinating about the caterpillars/moths.
Lovely photos, Erika. I know so little about these insects. Thank you so much for sharing.
Oh wow, that's a lot of caterpillars.
Some of nature's fascinating mysteries!
Stylish beautiful aj artpage👍🥰
I get shivers from that kind of caterpillars 😒
I absolutely LOVE your artwork, so summerly!
Those insects... not so much! Have a great day, hugs
I will have to keep my eyes open on my walk this morning, Erika. I haven’t seen one yet this fall. Hickory Tussock Moths are everywhere! All the best - David
I find the caterpillars a little freaky.
Post a Comment