Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Unusual Views at the Libby Museum

Happy weekend everyone. Last Tuesday I took you all on a visit to the Libby Museum which is a natural history museum in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. I want to take you back today and show you some unusual things .
Like these Inuit (Eskimo) masks. I am not sure if they are from Alaska, Canada or Greenland.
And a little bit of Inuit art too.


 The ones in this last photo are pretty scary looking. I wonder if they  represent evil spirits or if they are supposed to scare away evil spirits.
I've never heard of  birthing eggs before, but I imagine Mom did a lot of squeezing.
And this emu egg looks pretty cool and I like the carved kangaroo.


 Then there are these fish bills-one off a swordfish  and one from a marlin. And then there's this carved scrimshaw cribbage board made of carved ivory or whale bone. This is no longer legal to produce from ivory and whale bone I believe. Now they sometimes get made from plastic or other animal bones. But back in the days when there was a lot of whaling in New England the sailors would spent  their sailing time craving these. The carving are amazing but also the fact they are made from whale a little sad.
And this mastodon tooth fossil.

Not the best photo but this giant shark tooth. I know there is nothing to compare it too, but it was much bigger than my hand, The card says the shark was 75 feet long (almost 23 meters). Holy cow.

And this chunk of wood may not look like much but it is a Native American dugout canoe. The Abenaki who lived here (but had moved north by the time Europeans settled New Hampshire) made this. They would take a tree and hollow it out to serve as a canoe. Now the coolest thing about this canoe to my husband and myself was that it was found and dug out of some sand in the shallows of the lake.just down the lake from where my mother-in-law lives. My husband had been going there all his life before his Mom moved in to live there year round.
An excuse the light reflections, this is cool piece of mulberry paper from Fiji.
 And lastly, a bit of Egyptian tomb paraphernalia.

 Mummy hands. It seems weird someone would have just the hands. And the rings are rather fascinating.
The case of a mummified  ibis bird. 
 And the bird itself.
This museum's collection really was eclectic.
And fascinating. And even a little weird.
Thanks for visiting.
Enjoy your weekend.

12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

You have shown some really great photos, they have cool things there at the museum. But those hands are a bit creepy....And such a huge shark's tooth, what a giant! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Thanks for the trip to the museum. The ivory carvings are beautiful. My favorite is the polar bear. I wonder if the mummy hand was similar to the story behind the Monkey paw? That shark tooth is made scarier by all the shark attacks this Summer on the Cape. Weather sounds really nice this weekend. Enjoy!

Caty said...

Thank you very much Erika, for these so beautiful and interesting photographs from the Libby museum. They are great, and I specially like the emu egg. Our history is fabulous.
I wish you a very nice day, big hugs, Caty

Meggymay said...

This is a fascinating selection of photos. The carvings were so detailed even if they look scary they are fantastic.
I have read about Birthing eggs but never seen one, I think mums in labour would be pleased to have one to hang on to. [ or maybe throw at someone afterwards].
Have a good Saturday and weekend Erika.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Thanks for sharing all these photos. I love the fascinating and weird that so often goes along with Natural History museum displays. So much variety there. Having a connection with the place where the canoe came from must've been fun :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, I really enjoyed this. This was an extremely unique museum. I was blown away by some of the both weird and unique artifacts you showed. I'm SO glad you shared this museum with us because I always love visiting museums and I'm sure I will never be able to see this one, except on your blog, dear Erika. Thanks for letting me tag along, dear.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm running so far behind, I just noticed your comment. You can go here:

http://www.wichitaartmuseum.org/collection/explore_the_collection

scroll down the collection, then click on

An American Salon: 19th Century Paintings from the Wichita Art Museum Collection

Set # of images per page to 100, then scroll down the right side to Marshal Soult. Click on the name of the painting and it will take you to the individual image. You can then enlarge it, if you like.

Hope that helps. I didn't realize there were all these images until I was forced to look for the image you asked about. Now if it's in the permanent collection, I will be able to find any painting someone might ask about.

Words and Pictures said...

What an extraordinary array of artefacts - fascinating... thanks so much for sharing them.
Alison x

Jeanie said...

Some of these things are so unbelievably cool! I love that first pic expecially.

Astrid Maclean said...

Certainly looks like an amazing museum with wonderful artefacts!

froebelsternchen said...

Wow-- what stunning exhibits! I am impressed Erika!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic spot. Love all the carvings. Where is this hidden gem and why haven't we hit that spot on our trips there. xox