Saturday, February 2, 2019

Romance

Happy February everyone.  A new month is here as well as the weekend. There's a lot going on this weekend as it's the big rivalry hockey weekend between the university my husband and I attended and the state university here where we live and where my daughter and her beau went to school.  I'll share more about those games on T Day, but today I want to share some romantic art with you.
Funny how last year I had no interest in making Valentine or heart art, but this year I am all into hearts and love art.

Here's a page in my vintage journal, one of the current theme journals I am working in. I went really romantic old scrapbook page with this one.
I began by covering the page with an old sheet of music, which I then darkened. I added the red paper doily heart. I covered parts of the heart with some glue and then covered the heart with some red flocking powder that I had. Once I dried I brushed off the excess. It took a couple of times to get it just the way I wanted it to be. I wanted it to look old and as if a lot of the flocking had been rubbed and worn away. Next I glued down a vintage romantic image that reminded me of a Victorian Valentine (did they send Valentine's then?), as well as a die cut image and some button paper tape. I inked some white lace and some white mini ribbon bows, as well as some pink and red mini heart buttons to complete the bottom of the page.
It is also the second of the month which means it is time for Second on the Second over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog.  It is time to link up  a previous post for a second viewing.
My art comes from February of 2016.  Here's the original post: Love You Madly.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend. It's still cold here but it slowly warming up bit by bit. But by Monday they are saying we are going to be in a winter heatwave. This weather is really strange, that's all I can say.
Hope your weather isn't too cold or too hot and you have a nice weekend.

19 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely heart artwork. It looks great.

RO said...

Wow! I really love your February Love artwork, and it looks so lovely. Happy Saturday and Hugs...RO

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm not much into hearts, but I like how you did this. I'm especially a fan of the buttons and bows at the bottom. The perfect finishing touch, I think :)

CJ Kennedy said...

Your Valentine would make Esther Howland proud. During the 1840s, she began making intricate Valentine designs right here in Worcester, MA . She didn't invent the Valentine, but turned her hand to a successful business. Pretty cool. Love You Madly would make another great Valentine design. Hope you won't be hoarse from cheering on your hockey team or the Patriot's this weekend. Enjoy the games!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your romantic vintage spread is wonderful. I love it and yes, I love romance, too.


There is anecdotal evidence that Lincoln sent a valentine to a young lady before he met Mary Todd. I would think they have been around for quite some time. This is a beautiful piece and well done, too.

I remember your Second on the 2nd art. It is beautiful and also has a feel of romance, albeit far different and far more modern from the Romance you created today. Thank you so much for sharing both of these and for joining me with your second look on the 2nd, dear friend.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your romantic page, so warm and full of heart. Great page you have re-showed today, too. Have fun with your hockey. Hugs, Valerie

Words and Pictures said...

There's warmth and love in both these pieces - I love the rich red heart of the first one, and the bubbling joy of the colours and circles in the second page. So glad to catch up with that older creation - I didn't see it at the time. Sounds like the best result for the hockey would be a draw! Hope you have a great weekend.
Alison x

froebelsternchen said...

Your romantic page is gorgeous - such lovely details!
And the Second look page is great - this background simply amazing!

We had a bit of a winter heatwave today with 50 °F and I hope it will be not back to freezing temperatures next week.
Enjoy your weekend! Happy Second on the 2nd!
Big hugs,Susi

Marjut said...

What a fantastic page, gorgeous colours.

Meggymay said...

Its a wonderful romantic page you created. The technique you used on the doily heart looks fantastic and the row of pretty buttons and bows looks lovely
I enjoyed seeing your second posting as well.
I hope you get your winter heatwave, you are right in saying our weather is crazy this year.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Both romantic pages look super!! I absolutely adore all the detail in your new page, those little ribbons on the heart buttons are totally cute and look so lovely!!

Have fun with the hockey game, hope your team wins :o) and happy Sunday!

chrissie said...

Two very different pages but both so beautiful. The present one so colourful and and vibrant the repost more subdued and gentle. I guess that sums up love really.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love the romantic feel that you have created and those little bows with the red hearts look so sweet 😁. Enjoy the hockey and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Jeanie said...

Very romantic indeed!

We're having a big melt and rain is due. If it rains, my basement is sunk!

Lisca said...

I'm not really into all this Valentine's stuff with hearts and XOXO etc. But I do like the colours on your page. I love red and like the idea of the flocking.
Your Second on the 2nd Duke Ellington page is great. It has love as the theme but so overbearingly so. (only one heart in it, lol)
Hope you had a good weekend (in spite of the bad weather),
Lisca

Gibby Frogett said...

Lovely 'heart works' Erika and lots of lovely details as always :)
Hope you had a great weekend.. just wondering what your winter heatwave will be.. such weird and unsettling weather......
Wishing you a good new week.... Gill xx

craftytrog said...

Beautiful romantic pages Erika!
I hope you had a lovely weekend,
Alison xxx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice hearts pages, Erika, and great that you felt inspired to create and display them for us to enjoy. Sounds as if you really have a sports-filled weekend. As for myself, I will be doing anything else. Thanks for the birthday wishes too.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love both of your romantic pages Erika! Lovely texture on the new one and your second look page is such a joyful page! Hugs, Chrisx